Question for TJ

misfish

I,ll keep this short

My question is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Did this site turn out like what you wanted, or did it turn out to be a friendly place for friends to visit,chat and share. Oh I know it was a bussiness thing.

To me, it started out as a great fishing site( thanks for the invite Joey),sharing.And then came the hunting(which many at the start, didnt like) but as many more fisherman/women/hunters joined, it became a very nice place to sit back and read.

Now it,s turned out to be a fishing/hunting/ family loss and job loss,music triva (only on friday nights,ok the odd saturday) and questions about anything on this earth.

To me the answer is yeah. Real people,real everyday lives. Real everyday ;)

All I have to say is

,Thanks

Edited by misfish

Did this site turn out like I wanted.. lol.. dunno.. like most of my business plans I have no idea where its gonna wind up. For sure I started the board for business reasons, it evolved from there, till it went way beyond business.. a couple of death threats to my family and some real nasty emails, and lawsuit threats pretty much convinced me that it went way beyond business.

Ask any of the mods and there are at least a dozen times where I was on the verge of pulling the plug and saying it all not worth it. Sleepless nights, and more time spent on it during the day when I should have been looking after my business. Just before we went to this new format a couple of years ago, I had had enough and told the mods that I needed some help with the brunt of the abuse as I couldn't moderate anymore... I was sick of it, especially because of a business venture that barely, and I mean barely pays for itself. We had went to pro boards cause I was loosing money bandwidth wise. I was loosing money and getting abused for the privilege.

The problem is that we had built this huge and REAL community... and like family its hard and I couldn't let it go.

If there is any thanks to be given.. its to all our present mods, whom I have delegated the real job of Moderating, ModQing and Banning. I just don't have the heart to do that anymore. They do all the tough work. I get to run the contests and promote stuff and have the fun job. If theres any thanks to give its them that deserve it.

"Real people, real everyday lives. Real everyday". Ya I d say. sometimes way too real. Anybody whos come out to the G2G's ands met me knows that what ya see is what ya get.... sometimes.. lol.. ya get too much!! but that's me. I have got to meet ALOT of people through this board, and think Ive become a good judge of character.. I've met some winners and some losers in my book.. Ive met some people who are way better than me, and some people I thought were not, and proved me wrong. - Just like family. I consider alot of the people I've met to be real friends now, not just acquaintances. I've had some people I thought were friends turn on me over nothing. If anything this board and all its been through has made me more aware of real human nature.

I guess the best way to put it is that just like family, respect has to be earned over time, which is probably why some of the oldtimers get cut a break here now and then when they say something stupid... just like family, sometimes ya gotta cut the crazy drunk uncle some slack.. cause he took ya fishing when you were a kid.

So to answer your actual question "Did this site turn out like what you wanted, or did it turn out to be a friendly place for friends to visit, chat and share."

What I wanted was a business venture, what I got was family. So it turned out better than I ever could have imagined....

and this is like the longest response I have ever written.

(PS What I really want is for someone to ask for my autograph in front of Dave Mercer... LOL)

Although I haven't met anyone from this board, I feel like I know some of you quite well by your postings, I think it is like a small family even though there are thousands of members.

I see the way you guys and gals interact and help each other out and the events you have to embrace the sport of fishing and each other socially and I'm impressed.

the contests, the magazine, the fun nature that everyone has on this board makes me smile and really, really enjoy being able to participate in some small way with my postings One day I hope to meet some of you and take in Lakeair but the work schedule and travelling distances makes that hard to accomplish, but I might run into limeangler sometime on Eagle Lake you just never know.

Boss Or I mean DAD you said a mouthful I have been here for 5 or 6 years now maybe 7 I dont remember when I first joined and it sure has changed alot there was a short period where I did not know where it was going but sure am glad I have stuck around this place sure has made me some LIFE LONG FRIENDS or now Family.

Tj thanks for the reply and Brian thanks for asking the question as it has shown me a new light not just on this place but all over times are tough now with work and other things and when I start to get ticked about something stupid I will just think of that drunkin uncle and how great things really are and try to shy away from the negitive sheet out there even thought it will still come up I ask my friends here to help keep me and others on track when the negitive seems to get out of hand sometimes we need to have ours eyes opened tonight I have and must say thanks for all everyone has put into this place it sure has been a great ride.

Cheers Mike

" What I wanted was a business venture, what I got was family. So it turned out better than I ever could have imagined...."

Ya and mom say's your late on child support :lol:

And this type of good-natured ribbing is what attracted me to this board in the first place... :thumbsup_anim:

Good one Marc !!!

The problem is that we had built this huge and REAL community... and like family its hard and I couldn't let it go.

(PS What I really want is for someone to ask for my autograph in front of Dave Mercer... LOL)

Kinda like grabbing a tiger by the tail, huh?

And you may well regret that autograph comment one day. :thumbsup_anim:

Seriously, that was a very very good answer. Hopefully it will be considered by all.

JF

Thanks for taking the time TJ to answer my question.

I guess the best way to put it is that just like family, respect has to be earned over time, which is probably why some of the oldtimers get cut a break here now and then when they say something stupid... just like family, sometimes ya gotta cut the crazy drunk uncle some slack.. cause he took ya fishing when you were a kid.

Thanks for that too.LOL

I think anytime you have the gumption to start a new venture you really have no idea exactly how it will turn out.

Will it succeed? Will it grow? Will I make enough to survive on?

I thought I had the answers before I started. But it went better than I ever expected. But like you TJ not without trials and tribulations.

Glad you and the Mods stuck with it. Great place to hang out!

Great question Brian!

Great answer TJ!

And yes...quite the family here. Bly and I have talked in the past that without this board we wouldn't have met so many great people...some of who are really good friends now. We likely would not have a boat, or had near the success we've had without everyone who has offered tips and support along the way.

Thanks!

Great question Brian and great response TJ. Some insight to this great place that I couldn't even imagine happening or going on. Glad things have worked out. Been around here for quite a few years now and certainly do miss "the family" when I'm not able to check in as often as I'd like. Couldn't ask for a better place to come and hang out if even for a few minutes. It certainly has given me that mental escape I've needed to get through the day on many occassions.

Made a few good friends myself here and looking forward to making some more in the coming years. :Gonefishing:

I've only been here a little while, but I gotta say TJ that you and the mods have built something quite special. This site fits like that 'comfy old moc'. No matter how worn and tattered it gets it still feels good to put on every day.

Besides, there isn't an asylum big enough to hold us all :w00t:

well tj im sure glad you decided to start this! I have spent i dont know how many years now on OFC. I have learned so much about fishing here! i dont get to the g2g's since work and family get in the way alot of the time but the ofners I have met are awesome people!

Thanks for OFC to everyone involved

cheers!