!!!!!PLASTICS!!!!!

lunker07

Plastics  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What you do with your plastics after they've been on the hook?

• Throw them in a garbage on the boat.
    • Put them back in the bag for a later time.
    • Recycle them by melting them together to make new baits
    • Throw them in the lake and let the fish worry about it.

I know it's winter and all but I was wondering to myself while ice fishing what everyone does with their plastic baits after they're done with them.

So I started this poll.

By the way I am new to this Board, I will post my intro later.

Thanks and be honest......

About the only plastic I use is a grub. Berkley Bungee leeches were great too, but now everything's that damn "Gulp!" and I can't find them anywhere.

If it's torn enough to be a nuiscance but still useable I'll swap for a new one and save the damaged one incase supply gets low. Any tails that are intact get saved for tipping something else.

I've tried melting to make new baits, but it's like trying to fish with Jell-O. They plastic never holds.

yes i throw mine in the garbage,but i have seen some floating in the lake and some :unsure: discarded at the boat ramps,if a fish eats one thats been torn off a hook will it hurt them?? <_< ??aor will they just puke it back up....but good pole by the way,its neat to see the way people deal with them

Interesting poll for more than one reason, ya most plastics are garbage when your done with them dispose of properly. Surprising the number of people that don`t have much faith in them, I don`t go fishing without them.

Me too, I didn't use them much but have been using plastics a lot more the past couple of years, with really good success. I don't usually use live bait and sometimes jigging or working a plastic slowly will get bites that another lure won't.

Mike

I keep trying plastics, but haven't had a ton of success yet (I'm still a novice compared to most here). I'll give them a few more shots in different situations this year and I'm sure things will turn around. I think I'll try some of that paste or gel scent on them as well,especially the regular (unscented)plastic baits. Maybe that'll help? Can't hurt I guess? I hope they work out because they're really convenient and the biodegradable ones aren't even bad for the enviroment so I'll have less guilt. Really,imagine every lost lure,spinnerbait etc.,especially in the pressured areas. If you took the out the water level would drop LOL. Anyway, I picked the second choice because when I do use them, I'll put them back in my tackle bag (although seperate from the new ones) just incase I'll use them again and because I'm cheap......(okay, really cheap). Those Gulps go really hard after a while LOL :huh: . They're like little chartruese rocks. Has anyone seen the Dave Mercer ("facts of fishing") Gulp vs livebait video? Pretty impressive :worthy: . Like I said,I'll be trying them again next year.

Kenneyman, a lot of it is a confidence in the bait deal, I have easily had much better days using soft plastics for bass than live bait. Also had days when everything, walleye, panfish, pike seemed to want them too. The live bait wasn`t allowed in bass tournaments, and hardbaits aren`t always the best choice for a situation. Take some time with them or get someone that uses them to take you out, they can make a believer of you.

Kenneyman, a lot of it is a confidence in the bait deal, I have easily had much better days using soft plastics for bass than live bait. Also had days when everything, walleye, panfish, pike seemed to want them too. The live bait wasn`t allowed in bass tournaments, and hardbaits aren`t always the best choice for a situation. Take some time with them or get someone that uses them to take you out, they can make a believer of you.

Thanks for the reply OhioFisherman. Like I said,I'll definetely give them a try again next year. Sounds like you have a great amount of experience. What would be your "go to" plastic baits? Say a couple for bass, say bucketmouths and also a couple picks for walleyes? Send me in the right direction.Everyone seems to put in a little disclaimer, so yes I do realize these picks would be your preference, but that's exactly what I need. Anyone else who'd like to chime in or pm would be greatly appreciated as well. As I've said many times on here,I'm looking to learn all that I can. I'm not trying to steal anyones secrets ........... just borrow them LOL :lol: .

LOL experiance? Ya I am a geezer! Go to baits or at least starting out baits for me are a little different for largemouth than smallies. For largemouth usually a 6 inch worm or 6 inch lizard, mostly Zooms for me but other brands at times. I use the Zoom SS+ u-tail worm, first choice in color is Junebug for me on both, the worm is a thinner worm but effective, the lizard is a bulkier package I use it to try an get a bigger fish, it works for any though.

Second choice a lighter shade of the same baits, watermelon seed or watermelon blue glitter. I also use tube for largemouth but mostly for smallies, a good choice if the lake you are fishing has both. Green Pumkin is probably my first choice on the tubes, 3 1/2 or 4 inch, I use white ones with silver glitter a lot also, browns are also good.

If there isn`t a lot of hard cover, wood, docks ect. and the weeds aren`t to thick you can fish the lizards and worms on a ball or mushroom head jig(swimming), weedless or with the hook exposed. Texas style rigging works for either, also carolina style.

Tubes with a jig insert hook or tex-posed, I have also used them carolina rigged. The tubes are a nice tight package for under docks and around cover.

The lizards can be rigged texas style with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook and no weight and swum over weeds and lilies. Lots of ways to fish them all, you need confidence in them to stick with it.

For walleye I have had better luck with grubs on a ball head jig or the white tube on lake erie, I don`t usually fish for walleye, just incidental catches while after smallies, steelhead take them too.