Baitcaster Advice

Weeds

I just splurged and picked up a St. Croix Muskie Rod, 7'6", Medium-heavy power, fast action, SC graphite 20 -50 lb. 3/4 - 3 oz. I plan on throwing mostly bucktails and spinnerbaits with this rod as I believe it is well suited for this type of use. What would be a good reel to pair this rod up with, bearing in my mind that cost is still a factor for me. I got the rod at a good price but 400 dollar reels are out of the question, unless I can score one used which is somewhat unlikely as I'm a lefty. The only baitcasting reel that I currently own is a Quantum Mantra (nothing fancy) with a 6:2 to 1 gearing ratio. I haven't had any issues with the reel so far but am not sure if it will be durable/appropriate for Musky fishing (come season). Would a lower gear ratio be better or is the 6:2 to 1 alright? Thanks for any advice.

Go for lower gear ratio like 5:1 or something like that. It gives it more power when your cranking the bigger blades. I was using a 6:1 last year and it was really difficult for the bigger bucktails and spinner baits with the big blades. This year im going to be purchasing a calcutta 400. I hear they are pretty good.

If you like a low profile reel I would recommend a Shimano Curado.They come in a few different ratios and sizes.I'm sure a few will back me up on this.If you like the high profile stuff the Ambassador reels are a great reel for the price.Good luck!

Joe

Well Weeds,

You say you picked up the ...exellent choice of rods BTW at a steal...

No point in cheaping out on the reel then, specially if your wanting to be lunging...

Im a leftie too...

calcutta TSE 401

Abu 6501

...........the Abu I use for trolling only because I love the Calcutta....but Shimano also puts out a version of the Calcutta which I also have and it is the Catella..it was my first 'ski reel and has a 5:1 ratio..its exellent for burning B-tails and also good for the body baits.......

I'd say go for the Abu...it a fair price for proven quality at a decent price.......

in the end, you only get what you pay for.

Make sure you dont cheap out on the line or leader/snaps.......it wouldnt make any difference to what reel or rod you have if you've sub-par quality terminal gear.

If your targeting lunge.........

Please,

release equipment and a quaility net.

My 2cents.............pete

Lots of good advice, thanks. I was kind of leaning in the direction of the Abu C3's, 128 bucks at LeBarons for a 6501 C3 with a 5:3:1 ratio. I've heard alot of good things about the C3's but I've got time to spare with the season being so far off so I'll keep my eyes open for deals on some of the other recommendations. Any body else?

Edited by Weeds

What Mepps said! Cabo CBC31PTS is the left hand model. If you go over to JB's you should be able to get it from Brian for under $200 + tax. I bought my second one there for $189. You won't find it a BPS unless that's changed recently. Pro Musky Tackle is $209.99 if he has one.

The C-3 is sorta like an old Chevy, nuthin fancy, but it always runs good.

It's a decent reel to get you started and with a little TLC it'll last you a long time. The main draw back is rather than the thumb bar, the spool release is up on the top, but it won't take you long to get used to it.

It's not real smooth, quiet, or pretty, but it'll serve you well till you save up the pennies for that shiny new Calcutta ;)

That's an excellent rod you bought too, BTW !!

Without a doubt go with a Shimano Calcutta or wait and pick up the NEW Curado 300 made for musky fishing. They should have the lefty available soon I would hope. No rush do your homework the season is still a ways away yet. Give Fishing World a call They have alot of experience and info with good musky reels

Edited by Blake

tough to beat the value and tougness of an abu 6500 c3 or 7000. people have been using them for years and years.

if you have extra money to burn, a calcutta is propably the best. the old curados are not meant for muskie fish'n and wouldn't last. like blake said, the new 300 is being touted as a muskie reel.. little too early to tell if it'll stand up.

i use 6501 c3s and the quantum cabos a few guys mentioned.

I have several 6500C3's and have been using them for years. Nothing fancy, but functional and will last a long time. I have added the power handle to two of them, and it makes a big difference.

I have the same St.Croix rod, and with the 6500C3, it is a sweet combo.

At a recent MCI Toronto chapter meeting, the rep from Shimano present the new 2007 reels, designed for musky fishing, and I could have been persuaded to to buy one of their shiny new toys, but for the $$$$

I would also look at the Quantum Cabo PTs. These are excellent reels as well, actually desgined as a saltwater reel. JB's has them under 200.

Another Quantum reel is the Classic 1430 MGC series (1431MGC) is for lefties. This is a low profile reel, about the same capicity and weight as a 3C. Again, JB has them in stock.

Just my ramblings,

John

If cost is a factor, definitely go for a 65-6600 but a C4, a bit bigger and stronger. It'll last a long time and stand up to a lot of abuse as long as you give it some periodic TLC (all reels need it anyways). It'll run ya probably about $200 or so with some 80 lb PowerPro. Enjoy the rod, I have it in a 7ft 2piece and absolutely love it.

bps had a cheap calcutta when I was there last

same frame

cheaper guts

Very satisfied... Make sure you get a push button

my C4 has the most akward button, and I cant stand casting with it. I have also had to replace my internal plastic parts twice now. If you get off balance while pitching a heavy lure and manage to close your bail with the lure still airborne, the reel can break

Very nice rod though... I have the same rod with my pore mans calcutta

One of the nice things about the ST Croix rods is they are built light so you can cast all day with it. Keep that in mind as you chose the reel a heavy reel will not be a good match for casting. I use Shimano reels and have found them very comfortable to use like the Curado low profile series. I have found that you should not shop for a reel due to its price get the one that feels great in your hands otherwise you won't fish with it and then were is the savings?

Art

Edited by aplumma