Any Experience with Daiwa spinning reels?

MCTFisher9120

Hey, im looking to get my dad the reel hes been asking for all year for christmas. Im going to get him what he wants the reel is the Team Daiwa TD-Pro Spinning Reel, and im just wondering what Dawia's reels are like(performance wise). Thanks for any feedback :)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-2

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Hey, im looking to get my dad the reel hes been asking for all year for christmas. Im going to get him what he wants the reel is the Team Daiwa TD-Pro Spinning Reel, and im just wondering what Dawia's reels are like(performance wise). Thanks for any feedback :)

Its been along time since I owned a Diawa. But, I have given a gift or 2. If thats the reel he wants thats the reel to get him. Don't get him something "better"

forrest

I bought the TD Tierra, which is mechanically very similar to the TD Pro and the cheaper Exceler.

I returned mine after the first full day of fishing and here's why.

1. After landing a really big fresh water drum, the spool started rubbing. That said it went away after another day of casting.

2. This is the real reason I returned it, the reel handle pin where the handle meets the shaft going into the body.. It slides out with constant use. I punched it back in and it still continued to make its way out. When you go to Bass Pro take a look at all three models, of all sizes on display and you'll see the pin sliding out. Luckily I caught mine the first time while it was still halfway in, but others I know have had it fall out. It would suck to have it fall out and into the lake.

If you read BP reviews you'll find others with similiar issues.

Overall the reel is very nicely finished, very smooth, but I felt for my Tierra which cost $150 after taxes I shouldn't have to worry about this pin falling out, or potentially having the spool rub after another big fish, so I got a Shimano Saros which has been flawless since.

just my .02 cents here.... The only Diawa reel I ever owned didn't last me a month of guiding/fishing every day with it. The bail failed and I even had it repaird only to have it fail again in short order. Could have been a fluke but it was enough to put me off Diawa.

I am a shameless shimano snob.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-2

Just get your Dad what he wants. Of Course Daiwa is good

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Diawa spinning combo, came with a walleye tackle kit. The funny thing is, i havent caught one walleye on it. :P But its lasted me I believe 4 years now. Very durable rod, its been bent a couple of times, but it was fixed.

Edited by Profisher25

I don't generally jump on the brand bandwagon, and don't make too many comparissons on products but my experience with Diawa is they all suck...every spinning reel I have ever had the drag smoked on them right away, one in like 2 days of salmon fishing after about a dozen fish. Others I had, the drag was really jerky and not smooth..that's ok for sunfish maybe but not the kind of fishin I do on Med tackle 8 lb line. Another one the bail spring didn't last a season. They where all gifts, I will never buy one after my experiences. I am not stuck on any brand as I said right now if I look at the rods I have in the basement handy on a couple of my rods I got.....Quantum,Cardinal,Shimano,Okuma on the rods on hand, they all have one thing in common, ultra smooth drag. I need something that lasts..I take care of my fishin stuff, I do not baby it however, but I use it alot and put it to the test all the time.

You will probably hear alot of great reviews on what you are looking for, and some people probably have great experience with alot of Diawa products..don't get caught up on everyone trying to tell you what to get someone for a gift..I just commented on my expereinces over the years.

If you like the product and feel it is a good choice for the gift go for it...specially if it's getting you browny points with th big guy for getting him the one he wants....that will help make his day right there :Gonefishing:

i have a crossfire, a couple of their generations back, and it lasts great. drag runs great everything is good. Cheap reel, a bit heavy, but it does its job. As for the one you're talking about, i got it a week ago, and it hasnt been treating me nicely at all. the bail doesnt seem to close, and i went back to BPS and they "fixed" it, but the bail still doesnt close occaisionally. Another thing is that even before it hits the water, im feeling gears grind while fooling around with it.

I think i just got a bad one, and i'm going for an exchange. I say go for it before the 24th because theyre on sale right now. And if it really isn't treating you nicely when youre on the water with it, refund/exchange it. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS !

I bought a Diawa Emblem Z in the early 90's. It is still my best spinning reel. I've gone through many Quantum, Mitchell, and Shimano reels since then. To be fair though, none of them were as expensive as the Emblem Z. You get what you pay for. I'm sure your Dad will be happy if you get the one he wants.

I won a Daiwa combo in a local bass derby, and hated it to death.. though I'm pretty sure it was their lowest end model. Rod broke quickly and the reel didn't last long either. Don't remember what it was called but it really blew. Like I said though, it was like a $20 combo.

My dad still runs some of the higher end Daiwas from 10 years ago, no maintenance and they still work great.

I'm with Stonefish, I have over a dozen Diawas' and they have all been good. Some are over 15 years old and still going good. But mine are all higher end and I think low end of any manufacturer is a crap shoot. In my opinion, if you pay less than $50 for a spinning reel you'll be disappointed, $100 or more and you'll be happy. A $20 combo should only be used to teach kids how to use a fishing rod and reel. You get what you pay for.