Banning cell phones & GPS in cars ??

lew

This is how we get stupid laws, the guys that write the new laws don't know the old laws and the MPP's that pass them don't bother to read what they are voting on because the party leaders tells them how to vote..

And the guys that write the laws don't teach the courts how to implement them...it took almost a year to get an actually conviction for street racing.

The HTA isn't as technical as you think. GPS is handled the same as DVD players etc...depending on who you talk to. I've only written on ticket for that but that was because he talked himself into it. Anyway, I was taught that any screen that projects a significant amount of light falls under it. I dont' have my books on me right now so i can't get the exact wording. Things change year by year so you might have been looking at an outdated version. Remember, last years criminal code doesn't have Impaired by drugs causing death and causing bodily harm........and the '07 HTA doesn't have the changed seatbelt laws and the full s. 172 for all forms of street racing. It only has "racing on a bet or wager"

my point about cb's is it is similar to talking on a phone , when someone calls you you have to look for the cb , pick it up, and push a button and hold it near or in front of you face and talk with someone, then let go and listen to what they are saying not to mention volume ,squelch, etc to me it is the same damn thing, how can you be FOR banning cell phone and not laptops or cb's??? still a safety thisng isnt it.. and if you rear end someone iam sure the first thing you do is close your lap top befor anyone see's you right? cause you wouldnt want to be caught breaking the law now would ya! you might get paid leave.

nope, big brother is always watching so they know what you're doing in your car from the radio being on to your lap top active and your seatbelt engaged.

i guess the CB in trucks are different then the one i use. I just pick up the mic, hit the button say a few words and it's done....alway on same channel, no interference etc.

and as for paid leave, if we get in an accident where we aren't wearing our seatbelt etc, we don't get paid leave.

and I never said I was for anything. I was just adding to the conversation. Some people are able to concentrate while on the phone, others aren't......not everything in the HTA is enforced....otherwise every person who has a cracked windshield, blue lights, a plate licence plate cover that isn't clear, who doesn't signal every turn and every lane change, who flicks a cigarette butt out the window, who doesn't cross at the cross walk, who doubles on a bike, who rides a bike without a helmet, who has their dog in the front seat, who has a burnt out headlight, who goes 1 km over the speed limit, who puts their front licence plate on the dash board, who plays their radio too loud, has a loud muffler, who doesn't stop at the stop line, who balding tires, who doesn't have mudflaps, who puts decals that cover their entire back window, who turns right on a red when there is a green left turn arrow, who doesn't yield when their supposed to, who has a G2 licence and has a beer 3 hours before they drive and who drives on the 400 series highway with 3 of their friends after midnight would get a ticket.....

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Odds are a ban on cell use will be difficult to physically enforce. Same with drinking or seatbelts. You will eventually get 80-85% voluntary compliance.

The reason there is compliance is because it is easy to comply, the fines are steep and the law is regularly enforced.

Seatbelt and drinking laws are regularily enforced and it is not hard to do so. It is hard to get out of those charges. It will be the same with cell phones, a cop sees you and you get a ticket. This all depends on how hte law is written.

BTW: according to The Star it is the physical interaction with the GPS unit that will be targeted.

forrest

Edited by forrest

The reason there is compliance is because it is easy to comply, the fines are steep and the law is regularly enforced.

Seatbelt and drinking laws are regularily enforced and it is not hard to do so. It is hard to get out of those charges. It will be the same with cell phones, a cop sees you and you get a ticket. This all depends on how hte law is written.

BTW: according to The Star it is the physical interaction with the GPS unit that will be targeted.

forrest

Yes the police have their regular blitzes every few months, RIDE, etc... But take a good look at the number of individuals who are charged after the accident. Also take a look at the number of people who, despite getting caught are still in posession of their licences. As for those who regularly drink and drive, they don't drive along the usual routes where we all know the spotchecks will be.

If you take a look at FNA's list of rarely enforced HTA offences, you should notice that the sheer volume is beyond the scope of the police even if you doubled their numbers. A lot of the charges are incurred as a result of an accident.

One simple case in point. (I got to see these all the time when I worked in hospital admin). A co-worker at our facility was brought in as a trauma case during a typical long weekend having sustained critical life threatening injuries in an accident. After investigation, they could tell from the skid patch and damage to the vehicle that he was doing 60 over the limit. They could tell from the distance he travelled through the windshield into a field, that he did not wear a seatbelt. He was not caught in the act, and their was no active enforcement. Accident or injury were not prevented. He was charged, and punished after the fact for speeding, no seatbelt, and the biggies, reckless driving, criminal negligence causing death. Not that those charges would matter to a paraplegic. Nor is it likely anyone will successfully sue a cripple for wrongful death when his insurance was declared null and void.

The point being made, enforcement with punishment should be proactive to prevent such grisly little stories. regretably, all too often, the punishment is applied as a reaction and consequence of such unfortunate events. You need to take a closer look at the score card, not just the final total.

I won't be one of the 85% that complies.....and before anyone gets outraged about it let me ask you......how many of you drive over the speed limit???? I'm on the road just about every day and I think it's safe to say that way way way more that 15% of drivers exceed the speed limit. :thumbsup_anim:

Lots of silly on this thread. I remember the same complaints about the metric system, seatbelts, and helmets for motorcycle riders when they were introduced. Some folks have to be dragged kicking and screaming to what is best for them. Hell, I even remember making ashtrays out of asbestos putty when I was young. Just imagine the lawsuits that would be filed if you passed out a class 1 carcinogen to a bunch of day campers for arts and crafts.

In August, listening to the radio in Nova Scotia, I heard, " Call Star Traffic on your hands free phone to tell us how the traffic is where you are". It will be the same here. Hands free is OK.

Chillax already.

Great to see many are so happy to go along with this.... now lets see your temper flare when they tell you that you can't drive your boat and play with the buttons on your Lowrance! Then there'll be a revolt for sure..... :D

HA! Just wait till you see the new handsfree aircraft legislation!

"Handsfree Phone" .... ya still have to dial the number!! And that's the most dangerous part...unless you have Onstar and can talk to your dash...and don't have to look up the number somewhere to tell the "voice" where to dial.

"Hands Free" phones are almost as dangerous because the conversation part of a phone is every bit as bad for conversation. Proven in studies (too tired to look them up) and according to critics "hands free" should have been banned too.

forrest

. If my memory serves me right, it wasn't that long ago that some guy talking on a cell phone to his wife with his young son in the car didn't notice the flashing lights a level railway crossing. He was still talking to her when the train nailed them and killed them both.

This should make everyone think about using cell phones in their cars shouldn't it ???

Too sad

Sometimes I spend more time playing with my kids or assisting my youngest through puking on long road trips than I do watching the road.

Maybe they should ban kids in the car. Passengers too. Ohhhhh, and alot of other drivers as well.

Actually, do agree with the cellphone ban. I'm anti-people-calling-me-when-not-at-home so that means you should be too so we're all on the same page with that.

No cell phones at all in the boat should be the next legislation!

Think about it, next time the wife wants to call asking when you're coming home, why you're not home, why you didn't rake the leaves etc. you say "sorry honey, I didn't bring my phone. It's the law now."

A study published in62% greater if you are on a cellphone the New England Journal of Medicine a while back found that your chances of being in an accident are 62% greater if you are on a cellphone.

I am glad they are banning them while driving ... I have asmost been creamed several times by inattentive people.

Want to talk on your cell, pull off at the nearest safe point and talk. The world got along without them for thousands of years and will continue to.

I am glad they are banning them while driving ... I have asmost been creamed several times by inattentive people.

A question to everybody who has almost been 'creamed' by another driver, do you practice defensive driving to avoid potential problems?

Keeping proper distance while following behind a vehicle AND following behind a vehicle in another lane

Reducing speed when approaching an intersection

NOT passing on the right hand side of other vehicles

Most accidents can be blamed on our conditioned driving habits.

Think about it, next time the wife wants to call asking when you're coming home, why you're not home, why you didn't rake the leaves etc. you say "sorry honey, I didn't bring my phone. It's the law now."

YESSSSSssssss :thumbsup_anim:

The world got along without them for thousands of years and will continue to.

the world is a different place than it was 15, 10 even 5 years ago.

my concern, as someone born in a country whose people were on a leash by govt, is the erosion of our freedoms. this may be a small little thing but where does it end?

it's about personal responsibility.