Banning cell phones & GPS in cars ??

lew

Guess everyones heard by now that McSquinty is probably gonna introduce legislation on Tuesday to ban the use of cell phones in cars by drivers unless their a hands free model, but they were saying on the radio yesderday that the ban could also include the use of ALL electronics, including GPS units while driving.

Figures they may ban GPS units just as I'm about to buy my 1st one, but I spose on the bright side, I may have just saved $300

Cell phones can definetely be a dangerous thing when someone is trying to dial a number while weaving in and outta traffic at 80 MPH, but I always thought a GPS could be a helpful tool when used properly and is certainly much safer than trying to read a map while it's draped over the steering wheel the way some do it :w00t:

Oh well, I spose the $300 will add a couple nice baits to the tackle box.....

Their is scientific clinical studies that prove a person pays less attention to their driving when on the phone. It is close to an impossibility not to be distracted, even when on a hands free. Think about next time your on the phone, try to do something else that requires concentration.

Countless times I have seen people drive poorly and often they are on a cell at the same time:

why is that guy driving 50 in a 60 zone?

how come that guy did not signal their turn?

why isn't that guy paying attention?

Its about time it was banned.

forrest

Their is scientific clinical studies that prove a person pays less attention to their driving when on the phone. It is close to an impossibility not to be distracted, even when on a hands free. Think about next time your on the phone, try to do something else that requires concentration.

Countless times I have seen people drive poorly and often they are on a cell at the same time:

why is that guy driving 50 in a 60 zone?

how come that guy did not signal their turn?

why isn't that guy paying attention?

Its about time it was banned.

forrest

...and this applies to a GPS unit how?

My unit (like most I'm sure) has a safety setting that won't allow it to be played with while in motion. You can set your destination before hitting the road, then just follow the directions. How is this distracting?

Of course everyone who drives has witnessed or experienced the danger and with the bad driving habits that 98% of drivers exhibit on a daily basis the reasoning behind the ban is rather valid.

Unless there is a fully automatic GPS system then you are taking your hand off the wheel and your eyes off the road which is distracting the driver even if it's one second.

May as well throw in banning radios/cd players/mp3 players as they distract you when pushing the buttons....trying to read song titles. Oh yeah...those buttons that turn on the heater, A/C, defog, fan and interior lights....they distract people as well.

I'll have to admit that I find it difficult to concentrate on driving while talking on a cell phone. Both activities require your full attention. On the other hand, reading a GPS is a breeze. You should only have to glance at the machine for a brief moment every now and then, much like your speedometer and other gauges. I'd hate to lose my cell phone privileges on the road, but I certainly understand why it's being considered.

Guest lundboy

And ban talking to others in the vehicle, eating, smoking, putting on make-up, picking your nose, scratching your ----, sneezing.... Where does one draw the line? Why not just ban personal driving. Problem solved.

(by the way, that's in UN Agenda 21, in case anyone cares).

---> I gotta be me! <---

Edited by lundboy

pretty soon we'll be asking the govt to go pee

way to much nannyism going around lately.

most of us can multi-task, drive and talk at the same tmie. those that can't shouldn't.

Yeah most people say that until they are at fault for an incident.

Yeah most people say that until they are at fault for an incident.

most people lack common sense

have a "discussion" with your gf over you forgetting your anniversary for an hour during rush hour on the 401? propably not

quickly discussing with her who's picking up the kids? i think we've evolved to handle that.

Guest lundboy

Problem is, how does one "ban" something like this? Especially how is it policed? How will the policing be paid for, and at what detriment to something else? School programs, or garbage pickup or OHIP, perhaps higher taxes? Hire more cops beef up the police/nanny state?

Slippery slope for sure.

Drunk driving has been banned for decades yet every week we hear of another drinking related accident. Only way to effectively police DUI is with spot checks.

Cell phones? Some will follow the rules very few probably most, will not. Some will be spotted by a passing cruiser, most will not.

I haven't yet heard of any deaths attributed to cell phone use on Ontario roads. Could be that I just haven't been paying attention.

Edited by lundboy

Add the violations such as following too close, passing on the right, driving and blocking the flow of traffic in the center passing lane, improper signaling... and the case becomes stronger, drivers are supposed to follow the rules of the road but common sense? Some people do not own half an ounce of common sense.

Sadly the ban wont stop people from talking on their cell phones. Teenagers will continue to do it. they might as well stop people from having an open drink in their cars such as in Europe. :lol:

I would like to see it happen but GPS? i use one and have never had a problem with it. All you do is listen its places right below the rear view mirror so as your checking behing you you can look on it aswell.

Oh well laws change in time just gotta bite the bullet. such as the pitbull law.

Edited by Mattones

yeah sorry i bet more people are in accidents listening to the radio then on there phones or gps units.

cheers!

They're going to ban those too along with the computer that runs your car!!!!! McGoofball is a total idiot and I have no idea why he was re-elected after his first fiasco!!!!!

Add the violations such as following too close, passing on the right, driving and blocking the flow of traffic in the center passing lane, improper signaling... and the case becomes stronger, drivers are supposed to follow the rules of the road but common sense? Some people do not own half an ounce of common sense.

we can't keeping holding everyones hand. either due to the economic cost or the cost of our freedoms. they will figure it out. do we not already charge people found at fault using a cell phone?

hate 'em or hate 'em the cell phone has become an important part of our society - I've been annoyed by the occasional driver yakking away on the phone just like everyone else. I think an all out ban is going too far.