Otonabee River - To Be or Not To Be? This is the question

Arnaldo de Sousa

three of us decided to hit the Otonabee River today and if one thing didn't lead to another

First we find the launch that one had mentioned to us and not too impressed with the condition of it. . . but was willing to launch....then, someon ended up twisting their ankel and was in a lot of pain. . . what to do, what tod o , then the other forgot his life jacket , so now we had to find the nearest Wal-Mart to buy a life jacket some some ice heat cream and a tensor bandage

So now at this point I decided upon myself that we look for the closest marina to launch form for my piece of mind . . . .Well we ended up lauching in Little Lake and guess what . . . . after 1 hour of casting, then 1/2hr of trolling we discovered that there was no access to the lower part of the river, so we headed back to the lake and did some more casting and more casting and more trolling and then decided to try and hit the upper part of the river . . . well guess what again..... NO ACCESS again !!!!! Now I'm just upset and wish I had stayed home

Well all in all it was still great to be out with good friends and got to practice my top water jerk baits

Note to self : stick to original plans, especially if not familiar with the area

if you do a search on old posts you can find some launches on the otonabee, there is one off Michael cr (concrete pad and dock up until thanksgiving) also one on campbelltown rd . If you cast into the shore on the river you should be able to catch a musky there .

When your on the 115 hwy just west of the Otonabee River you'll see Airport Rd.

Go south from 115 (only about 200' or so) to the very 1st road and immediately turn east and follow that road all the way to the river and you'll see a gate leading into a marina. I can't remember the name but they have boat ramp into the river and you've got complete access to the entire river from Peterboro all the way down to Rice Lake.

I haven't been there in a few years and they may not even be open this time of year but perhaps someone will read this and remember the name of the place.

Pretty sure it was also an ESSO gas dealer too

Go south from 115 (only about 200' or so) to the very 1st road and immediately turn east and follow that road all the way to the river and you'll see a gate leading into a marina. I can't remember the name but they have boat ramp into the river and you've got complete access to the entire river from Peterboro all the way down to Rice Lake.

I haven't been there in a few years and they may not even be open this time of year but perhaps someone will read this and remember the name of the place.

Thanks Lew, I should have done a bit more sesearch, but someone had told me about the launch on Park St but I wasn't to comfortable there, especially with the current and no dock to secure to. I really don't like having my boat touching the rocks on shore.

• 5 years later...

Would that be Willow Bend Marina? Is that a pretty good launch? Do they have adequate parking?

if you do a search on old posts you can find some launches on the otonabee, there is one off Michael cr (concrete pad and dock up until thanksgiving) also one on campbelltown rd . If you cast into the shore on the river you should be able to catch a musky there .

It sounds like the Michael's Crescent ramp is pretty good quality. Does anyone know if they have parking nearby?

Is anyone familiar with the Campbelltown Rd. launch. Do they have parking?

I would appreciate any information anyone can give me on Ottonobee River boat launches. I have a 16' aluminum with a 50hp and a 4 wd truck so it doesn't have to be a perfect boat launch. As long is it reasonalbly decent quality I should be fine.

I will need a place to park. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee to use the launch.

Thanks,

John,

Exit 115 at Hwy 28 south, take the second left on Whitfield rd. The launch is at the end. Lots of parking and its all free. The launch is a little steep, but its a good concrete ramp with a dock.

I fished there one evening last week, but got nothing (GF lost one musky). Too much boat traffic in there for me. Early in the am it might be alright, but during the day/evening there are a lot of boats going up/down the river. Good musky fishin, but they tend to be on the small size.

And yes, the place Lew mentioned is Willow Bend. Campbelltown is also a decent free launch, but further down stream.

GL

S.

Edited by Sinker

hate old posts

I wish after a year , the word old or dragged up from the bowels of hell or something was added to the subject line so people know

We kinda figured the date would be enough, Terry. :)

There is another free launch on River Rd South. Exit Bensford Road and go north to big bend in road and turn to the right at bend. Bottom of hill. Steep Concrete Ramp but lots of on street parking at top of hill. Puts you just below lock 19 and above the 115 Bridge. Watch your speed between highway and lock as it's a 10 kph limit and Cops like to ticket there. Muskie, bass, rock bass, perch, sunfish and pickeral all to be had at various times.

John,

Exit 115 at Hwy 28 south, take the second left on Whitfield rd. The launch is at the end. Lots of parking and its all free. The launch is a little steep, but its a good concrete ramp with a dock.

I fished there one evening last week, but got nothing (GF lost one musky). Too much boat traffic in there for me. Early in the am it might be alright, but during the day/evening there are a lot of boats going up/down the river. Good musky fishin, but they tend to be on the small size.

And yes, the place Lew mentioned is Willow Bend. Campbelltown is also a decent free launch, but further down stream.

GL

S.

Thanks, I had actually planned to use this one but missed the exit on #28 and just launched at Willow Bend rather than turn around. We passed a few better launches down stream. I assume the Whitfield location was one of them. I will keep it in mind for any future trips.

There is another free launch on River Rd South. Exit Bensford Road and go north to big bend in road and turn to the right at bend. Bottom of hill. Steep Concrete Ramp but lots of on street parking at top of hill. Puts you just below lock 19 and above the 115 Bridge. Watch your speed between highway and lock as it's a 10 kph limit and Cops like to ticket there. Muskie, bass, rock bass, perch, sunfish and pickeral all to be had at various times.

Thanks, I will keep that one in mind too.

I was hoping to have some good fishing reports. But we didn't have much luck fishing. My electric motor only lasted about 15 minutes. Time for a new battery.