Mercer Magic!!

bpsbassman

Well Roger, I must admit that I am not at all surprised by this post... I've said it many times, you are the reason I go to BPS! You've just shown us all that I have been right the whole time!

Kudos to you, the Daves and BPS for taking the time to help make a family happy. I understand some of the challenges the family faces as my son is also diagnosed as being "high function" autistic. It's hard work, but the rewards although different from most parents milestones in their kids lives are 2nd to none.

You and your generous gesture have helped to reach a child who in all likelihood, has a difficult time reaching others.

Thanks Roger... keep smiling! :clapping:

HH

this is a great story, and a great example of what some of the people on this board are all about when it comes to helping others :clapping:

the looks on the boy's face say it all :worthy:

My wife's freind has a small boy facing simular problems, and it can be a big challenge for any family,something like this for the day can really help a family get a big possitive break from thier every day challenges

HI Guys,

I want to thank Roger for hooking me up with Jacob! It was great to meet him and I think I am the lucky one. Roger you are a great ambassador for the sport of fishing and for BPS. It's great people like you that make this sport what it is.

Also thank you George and the whole gang from Bass Pro it is great to work with a company that CARES so much.

Dave Mercer

Thanks for sharing the story Roger, my nephew has autism too and I see how much work it can be through my brother and sister-in-law.

A great job by some great people at BPS. Give yourself a good pat on the back, as well as to the Daves and George.

Although I don't go to BPS that often, I'm always have "meet Roger" on my list to do when I'm there (you're usually off the times I've been there).

That's fantastic. I'm glad there are other anglers out thier making the effort. Reminds me of the Great Denny Leeson.

Denny Leeson has a trailer in the same marina as I do.....I've spent a few hours sitting on his deck with him listening to his stories drinking a cold one.....very interesting man.....his son is quite the fisherman as well....owns one heck of a boat as well....lol

Hawk

Awesome story Roger!!!

I was there on Sunday too...in fact I was turning the corner to go down the Gulp aisle when they were taking those pictures with Dave Chong.....I wondered what was going on.

I witnessed how great Dave Mercer was with kids when I was waiting in line to meet him....he took time with everyone, but especially the kids. Its a great thing to see!!!

Both are true Gentlemen in every sense of the word!!!

Dave M must have thought I was a complete doofus.....all I could do when it was my turn was smile and say thank you half a dozen times! DOH :dunno:

Thanks to Roger, Dave and Dave for all they did that day, especially with young Jacob!

Things like that make a long drive worth it...I can see why you do it Roger!

Thanks for posting this!!

Bill

Roger, thanks for sharing. You certainly deserve some props for this one. You were part of a magical events.

As for Dave Mercer, he gratiously provided some prizes for the OFC Lakair event in June and my 5 year old son (here in the states), loves his show. He has a Dave Mercer autographed hat and a Fact of Fishing shirt that he reveres. It was a true reflection of Dave to provide these materials as well as other items for the G2G.

As for BPS, they came up big for the event too. Kudos to all.

Hello! Thank you Roger for writing a wonderful story about my son Jacob and our fantastic visit at BPS. It has been a wonderful experience getting to learn techniques and hear stories about fishing.

I can't thank you enough for giving us such a special time. Dave Mercer You have become Jacob's idol. He absorbs everything you do and say! Can you tell me your secret? Thank you so much for making this event a memorable one.

I was overwhelmed when Dave Chong was introduced to us in the store. Dave and I talked for a bit and then all of a sudden Dave was gone? So was Jacob? I found them checking out the Gulp bait! He gave us tips and explained how this product is biodegradable and how it is more environmentally friendly.

Each time we visit BPS we learn something new about the products that are hanging in the isles or where would be a good place to cast our lines close to home. (Since Jacob would go fishing on a daily basis!)

This event that George Wallace put together in his office will be forever in our hearts. I have honestly never in Jacob's entire life time seen him so happy as I did on that Sunday afternoon. Really a wonderful experience with all your sales staff and ambassadors.

Please try to keep understanding families with children/adolescence with Autism. It's really hard to go shopping, but, not anymore at BPS! Thank you for all your support while shopping in your store. Roger your an amazing ambassador to BPS.

Cheerfully,

Dee mother of a future great fisherman!

People are always asking me why I would drive 100 kms to work at Bass Pro on weekends. The following story might help explain it.

I was working at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago and I met this really cool customer. His name is Jacob, he is almost 8 years old and his Mom told me that he suffers from severe autism, and that he goes through aggressive therapy through the week. The two of them had discovered fishing together a few weeks previous and it had done miracles for Jacob. It took him to a much better place. Jacob was already quite knowledgeable and took a keen interest in everything I was showing him.

I told them about Dave Mercer coming to the store on the 13th and that Jacob would really enjoy meeting him. I contacted Dave and George Wallace (BPS Promotion Manager) and they arranged to meet Jacob in George's Office before Dave did his presentation.

I met Jacob and his Mom in the store on the 13th and what followed was truly magical! I first introduced them to George who was busy outside Bar-B-Qing hotdogs for Ducks Unlimited.

Jacob-Dave-George-Roger.jpg

Firstly, in the above picture I'd be honoured to shake any one of those peoples hands, in fact I have shaken a couple of them, (Roger and George). I see the real heroes in this photo, each and every one of you. And to think I would be willing to drive for an hour and a half getting ROAD RAGE to go to BPS just to chat, I always look out for Roger, it's about 50/50 for the amount of times I see the poor smuck there. Always a lot of laughs.

My hats to you my friend. It's nice to see guys like you Roger going the extra mile and help the young kids take interest in this sport. I am still envisioning Jacob with the LED ball cap with all his loot lined up on the bed = PRICELESS!!

Thanks for making my day a better one bud.

Cheers, Ron...