Ok...I've had just about enough!!!

ccmtcanada

Fishing and Weather  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Has the weather affected the number of fishing outings this year?

• I've gone out less than usual
    • Fishing outings are about the same as usual
    • I've gone fishing MORE this year.
  2. 2. Overall, has the unstable weather affected your catches?

• Fishing as been awesome!
    • It's been slower than usual
    • It's about average
    • I couldn't catch fish in the first place, so it doesn't really matter

Ok...I cant remember the last time bly and I went shore fishing in the evening. We are usually out there at least 3 to 4 times a week pounding the local shore spots. The last time we went was probably 2 weeks ago...and before that it was maybe 1 or 2 times per week.

The winter we just got through had us seeing record amounts of snow. That was great...maybe the trib and lake water levels would recover from last falls record lows. Problem was we got too much. The tribs and shore spots were a mess for a while. Flooding occured along the Trent waterway....the steelhead run was longer than usual...that was a plus....although I rarely fish for them after the opener anyways.

The spring came...water levels were still up, but the Kawartha Lakes we fish seemed pretty good. The trouble was wind. It seemed every weekend had winds in the 30's gusting higher on weekends. After they calmed down a bit we got into this rain every single day routine. Toronto just set an all time record for the summer months...and August has just started. It's been pouring and thundering here east of Toronto since about 6pm this evening....and all my shore spots will suck for a few days...even longer if it rains more...which it's supposed to. All this wet weather has meant that mosquitoes are running rampant. Black fly season was extended as well.

Anyone else's fishing been hampered by the weather this year? I know you just have to get out there, and we still have as much as we could, but I'm getting really tired of it all. Rain I can handle....thunderstorms I don't mess around with.

Ok...I feel better now....phew!!! Thanks for listening to my little weather rant.

T'would appear to me that the rivers have been the most affected. Too often the water clarity sux or the water's just too high. With all the flooding the fish seem to have been chased into peculiar places that we haven't found yet. My limited experience with lakes has been that they're less noticeably affected by all the rain other than the waves and lightning.

By most accounts the fish produced have overall been smaller. Dunno how much that has to do with the weather.

Normally where I go to fish (in waders) we can see the fish around us and have a sense of their size and numbers. This year I'm just not seeing anything like the usual numbers of bass or carp. Lots of minnows and bait-sized fish but not much in the fun sizes.

JF

Last year was bad due to medical problems and weather. This year I still have some medical issues but with working every regular weekend plus holiday long weekends as well as crazy weather ( wind, rain, water spouts, etc.) during the week has made it very hard to get out. Living on one of the Great Lakes ( Huron ) has it's good points and bad points. Weather plays an important part in safety and as much as I would like to go out I opt for safety on bad days. Well at least I have something to bit itch about...makes me feel better.

Edited by Garyv

Well i know that this year is the most i have ever fished in the dam rain !!!!i dont think my boat has been totally dry since may, :blink::glare: now i dont even bother putting on my rain suit as your going to get wet anyway!!! as it never just rains anymore its always a dang torential downpour cyclone!!!!! :dunno: with 40mph winds to add a little excitement !!!! :huh::lol: but on the other hand im hardcore so its just part of fishing,and i thinks its been a great year so far with lots of walleyes & salmon & trout to show for it,and lots of fish-fries & shore-lunches too !!!! :PB) bring on the rain!!!! b :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by fishindevil

I think the rain will do us good in the long run. Water tables are up from last summer but still low overall (can you believe it!). One particular angler's group is reporting above average salmon and trout reproduction on a lake ontario trib. Hopefully this pays dividends a few years down the road. But yes, the weather has foiled many of my fishing plans this summer. It's not so much the rain, just don't wanna get caught in a thunderstorm.

This is my first year out on the boat. The lightning has certainly kept me from fishing as much as I have wanted to.

Now....if I lived on a lake that would be a different story because I would be out during all of the lightning breaks or fishing figure out someway to set up a lightning rod somewhere around the dock.

forrest

I've gotten out more this year then I ever have before. If it's windy, we'll fish behind some cover..... if it's raining, we'll wear the rain gear. Between fishing with the oldman atleast twice a week and a day or 2 trout fishing, this season has been an absolute blast!

I gotta admit, this site really helps. We have such a great bunch of guys here.. From seasoned muskie guys answering my newbie questions, to guys offering up great deals on tackle. This site has made a huge impact on the amount of fishing I do, and has really helped me spend more time with my oldman doing the one thing we both love.

I owe the members of this awesome site a very big thank you.

Been a wet season for sure :( and could not go out as much as last year but for the most part, when I got out, managed to catch some fish.

I know that the water levels were low last couple of years and that with all the snow and rain this year would bring the levels back to norm.....it sure changed the habits of the fish in general and find myself guessing where to go next to catch them. :angry:

Sure is a different season from last year

Leechman

I've probably only not gone two or three days because of the weather forecast. I don't mind a bit of rain but if there is lightning I find a place to tie up the boat and wait for the storm to pass or just go home. We saw a storm moving in on scugog this year and we got off the water and about 15 minutes later everybody was going back out.

I usually check the weather before I go to bed and again when I wake up and try and pick the area that looks better, so far this year has worked out ok. Three weeks ago they were calling for rain and t-storms in bobcaygeon and just before I was about to leave they changed the weather prediction for the day,for the better. There was a bit of rain for about 1 hour, overcast all day, 5 km winds and only about three other boats on the water, and the fish were biting. Although after about 8 hours of fishing a storm was moving in so we headed home.

This past weekend I was fishing south of Cesarea on Scugog when I noticed there was rain coming my way from the south-east but up near the Scugog river looked clear so I went up there and the rainstorm passed not hitting that area.

Out in the boat, bly and I will fish in the rain, no problem. We don't mind leaving the water for a bit while a storm passes by. The problem this year is that we have our 6 yr old daughter with us in the boat 90% of the time, and it's a whole new ballgame when she's involved. Not that it's a bad thing, we just have to pick our days and weather conditions.

If I had a cottage, I'd just tie to the dock and wait it out in comfort and then head back out.....but when you have to trailer your boat at least an hour just to get to the lake it makes me think if it's going to be worth it or not. We've been chased off the lake a few times with our little one in tow, and for us, we don't want to make boat fishing a negative experience for her. The more she loves it, the more we'll get out with her as she gets older.....and if she's hooked on it as much as we are then we are golden.... :thumbsup_anim:

The weather has been very bad in 2008, but I wouldn't say it has effected the fishing for me that much.. I haven't been fishing this year as much as I did last year, but I've caught 4 personal bests so far this year, and I've had some very good days.. I've mostly been lucky that my major fishing trips have all been when the weather has been good. When I went to Lac Seul in late May the weather was nice, and the Walleye were on, when I went to North Bay, the weather was nice and the Smallmouth were on, and when I went to Georgian Bay the Pike and Bass have been on.

We'll see how the fall treats us all.. I predict we will have a nice fall season.. lets see..

For me, the good days have been great. The problem is, there hasn't been that many good days. When I've had a chance to get out, I've spent long hours on the water. One thing I have noticed is the forecasts seem to have been more accurate. I recall last year being a total crapshoot each and every outting. At least this year the good weather windows have been 'as advertised'.

-Brian

but on the other hand I live on the lake and can pick and choose my days.

I'm in the same position and have become a ''fair-weather'' fisherman mainly because of only having a 4.5 HP Mercury motor on the "Tin" which makes getting off the lake a bit iffy at times even though I don't usually travell too far afield...

Mind you I have had the use of Motv8tr's boat at my disposal for the past two weeks but as mentioned the weather has been the pitts...

Hoping to give it a shot this morning after running into town for some lag bolts for the dock...