tips, tricks, money and times savers

kickingfrog

After reading Fishnsled's post about his live-well problems and Wayne's tip. I thought I'd start a thread for tips... easy I said tips :lol: . Simple ones that save: time, money, lives, trips, equipment or what ever.

What may seem like common sense to you because of your experience or particular area of expertise may be a jewel of a tip that really helps someone else.

The problem I have is I can only think of one right now. :wallbash:

But here it is: after I'm done fishing I always back the drag off on all my reels, this is supposed to help drag last longer and not stick, the trick is to make this such a habit that you also always remember to re-set the drag before you make that first cast on your next trip.

I have three off the top of my head:

1. put you cooler in your chest freezer, the day and night before you load it up for you weekend. Your ice will last a lot longer as it will not be melted, trying to cool off your cooler!

2. When fishing in cold weather, using your float suit, if you are coming ashore for any length of time, take the suit off and turn it inside out to dry... the perspiration build up while your wearing it, will make you cold quickly once you go back out into the elements.

3. Again a cold weather tip... when done fishing for the day, take the liner out of your boots to dry off the in-soles... or you will be in for cold feet the next day!

Good thread and I'm lookin forward others tips as well!

HH

Get a crank flashlight for your boat....never have to worry about dead batteries when the MNR checks you out on the water.

Love my crank flashlight, but not sure it's "watertight" like the Safe Boating Guide says it should be. Am I wrong? Dont' want to try it underwater to find out.

Love my crank flashlight, but not sure it's "watertight" like the Safe Boating Guide says it should be. Am I wrong? Dont' want to try it underwater to find out.

I believe all you "NEED" is a working flashlight to avoid fines. Keep it inside a ziplock bag until it's needed...just don't drop it in the water.... :o

1. Blocks of ice last way longer than cubes, in your cooler. A tupperware container full of water makes a nice block of ice...you can even leave it with the lid on, so it doesn't soak your cooler. I prefer to throw a big pile of cubes on top of the block though, to get the cans of whatever I'm drinking nice and cozy. Just run a bit of hot water on the outside of the tupperware to get the ice to come out when you go to put it in the cooler.

2. To make the rubber skirts on your spinnerbaits last longer: Strip the paper/plastic off a garbage bag twist-tie, leaving yourself with the wire. Give the wire a couple wraps around the skirt, tucked up tight against the elastic band that is already holding it. Using your pliers, twist the wire a couple times so it tightens up, then clip of the tag ends. Whether it's pike or just a ton of bass, your skirts will stay on longer. Getting skirts off in a hurry is a whole other thing....different board.... :whistling:

3. Buy a drift sock, and use it!

4. Touch up rips and tears in your soft plastics with Krazy Glue

5. Disposable latex gloves are absolutely odor-proof when it comes to cleaning fish, and they fit so tightly, they don't hamper your fish handling ability.

Edited by johnnyb

1. Use mini elastics to fasten you senko to your hook and they will last longer than a couple fish.

2. Got a bad sunburn and no aloe mor lotion? Take a cool bath with some baking soda in the water.

3. No matter what happens, KEEP YOUR HEAD!

1: Use a girls hair tie to secure the end of our rod tip to the handle when broken down for transport.

2: Bring a whistle when ice fishing up river alone and you get in trouble.( ie: the cell phone doesn't work when wet from falling through the ice)

3: Bring a NEW lighter in the tackle box to start a fire to stay warm ( or ahve a shore lunch)while river fishing in the fall and winter.

Some people buy the pre-packaged orange bucket from Canadian Tire, believing that they have everything that is needed and put it on their boat..as is.

You get stopped by the MNR and if that bucket is still sealed they write you a ticket...the flashlight inside has no batteries and there for is no good.

I love my wind-up flashlight..never have to worry about checking batteries..which I know I would forget to do.

We attach a fox 40 whistle to each lifejacket...we sometimes spend whole days out on the boat so if the kids are going in swimming we also have fox 40 whistles on wrist lanyards that they have to wear, so I don't have to be counting heads every 2 seconds.

Edited by mekissa

1. Blocks of ice last way longer than cubes, in your cooler. A tupperware container full of water makes a nice block of ice...you can even leave it with the lid on, so it doesn't soak your cooler. I prefer to throw a big pile of cubes on top of the block though, to get the cans of whatever I'm drinking nice and cozy. Just run a bit of hot water on the outside of the tupperware to get the ice to come out when you go to put it in the cooler.

I have very limited freezer space at home so I always use the ice packs just for lunch but for some reason the car I have right now gets incredibly hot very quickly in sunlight. I have never seen a vechile with tint get so hot?

However, I discovered this by accident yesterday the sun was quite strong and when I got a tin of drink out of the cooler, it was obviously not going to be cold for very long.... Then I saw the windshield reflector that the previous owner of the car had got but it doesn't fit the windshield so I thought why not put just lay it over the cooler and I have to say it sure seemed to help. So for a buck at the dollar store give one of those things a try you could even grab a couple of bungee cords and cut the windshield reflector down a bit to get a better fit. Cheap insulator/reflector if you must leave your cooler in the sun and you aren't getting in and out of it all the time as it would get old real quick putting the thing on and off everytime you needed a tin of drink....

I have another one if you tie your own leaders (this works great for steelheading especially) Pre tie your leaders in the comfort and WARMTH of your own home before you go and then put the hook into a piece of foam pipe insulation and wrap the leader around it. Buy some small sticky labels at the dollar store to put over the line to hold it all in place. I pre cut the insulation so it just fits snug in one of my vest pockets that way it can't just fall out if I leave the pocket open too. I find it easier to make all my leaders 4ft and then shorten them before tying on while fishing.... rather than hunting for one pre sized.

I find by tying at home I get much better knots with 4lb fluoro because I just take a small dish of water and hold the knot under the surface of it while I pull it tight. I then hook the hook on the clipper and do a knot test too. Which I find increasing difficult to do well in the dark out on the river when it is below freezing and the wind is gently wafting down from the north at about 1000 miles an hour. I usually also do all the tie on for up to 4 or 5 people in a party so being as ready as possible helps.

Edited by Canuck2fan

If you have plastic bottled liquid that is warm IE water. Put a wet sock over it and tie it to your car Mirror or boat and let it dangle as you drive to cool it

Netted laundry bag makes a great anchor with a rock once your portage is done

Have a candle and a few matches and light the fire with the candle and save the rest of your matches

If you have gortex or water proof socks, carry them and put them on after your boots are soaked, that way your feet will remain dry

Hold your compass at your waist and the centre of your body with your feet square. Take your bearing and find a prominent point and march. If you have your eyes glued to the compass you will end up with a heavy right foot and you will go right.

When scanning an area divide it into, Far ground, Middle ground, then lastly Foreground. Go left to right. move your eyeballs left to right. You are doing opposite then what you naturally do therefore you will scan forcefully and meticulously. Try it

Troll twisted line with nothing on

Garbage bag when packing to waterproof, poncho will also cover you and your pack, pack waist belt makes a big difference. Tarp over tent

Lastly My GPS is only used to let me know where I am. My map and compass directs me. I don't have a zillion batteries

Edited by holdfast