$430 fine while fishing on Scugog this weekend

Want

I was fined $430. this weekend for not having a flashlight and vessel ownership on the boat. Had no flashlight on board and my ownership was at home.

I noticed this Zodiac stopped a fishing boat with 3 people on it about 150 feet away from me. Didn't think much of it but noticed the Zodiac and fishing boat were tied together for about 30 minutes at least. Thought nothing of it. Zodiac pulls away and comes to me. They're OPP. Ask me how I'm doing, pull up along side, and ask me if they can board.

These guys were truly pieces of work. Check my boat over and tell me that everything looks great. I say thanks. They ask for my ownership and I tell them it's at home. They say fine. So one of them says well I'm going to ticket you for no ownership and no flashlight. I say "What"? And so it went. They said I would have to go to trial if I wanted a chance to get off the charges. I was told to bring a flashlight and a copy of my ownership to court. Sounds like a good use of everyone's time and money to me.

They wound up telling me I had an attitude problem but that they would note that I was co-operative. They said the guys in the other boat sweared at them a lot. Hmmmmm

Back at my slip I talked to some boaters and they told me that these cops were "brutal" and other boaters had problems with them. I would of brought in my copy of my ownership (and flashlight) to the police station. Don't know what's in it for these guys at all to take up the Prosecutor's, Judges, and my time this way. Quota perhaps?

I was fined $430. this weekend for not having a flashlight and vessel ownership on the boat. Had no flashlight on board and my ownership was at home.

I noticed this Zodiac stopped a fishing boat with 3 people on it about 150 feet away from me. Didn't think much of it but noticed the Zodiac and fishing boat were tied together for about 30 minutes at least. Thought nothing of it. Zodiac pulls away and comes to me. They're OPP. Ask me how I'm doing, pull up along side, and ask me if they can board.

These guys were truly pieces of work. Check my boat over and tell me that everything looks great. I say thanks. They ask for my ownership and I tell them it's at home. They say fine. So one of them says well I'm going to ticket you for no ownership and no flashlight. I say "What"? And so it went. They said I would have to go to trial if I wanted a chance to get off the charges. I was told to bring a flashlight and a copy of my ownership to court. Sounds like a good use of everyone's time and money to me.

They wound up telling me I had an attitude problem but that they would note that I was co-operative. They said the guys in the other boat sweared at them a lot. Hmmmmm

Back at my slip I talked to some boaters and they told me that these cops were "brutal" and other boaters had problems with them. I would of brought in my copy of my ownership (and flashlight) to the police station. Don't know what's in it for these guys at all to take up the Prosecutor's, Judges, and my time this way. Quota perhaps?

Maybe they were just doing their job? :dunno:

I personally don't blame them...too many senseless accidents every season..as for the ownership thing is that really manditory???? although I have a copy of mine for the Viper in a ziplock in my tackle bag. AS for my 14 footer..there is no ownership...no numbers as I run a 9.9 on it, you don't get an "ownership" when ya just go buy a small boat like my 14, bought just the boat, no mototr, no trailer...no ownership...have a receipt for it some where that's about it, if I can even find it

That was mighty unkind of 'em! Just like the parking tickets for Lake Simcoe ice-fishermen every winter..

Not like there's a shortage of thieves to be hunting instead of ruining a hard working man's day-off!

Sheesh, makes me worry about taking out the Filth Hound. It was passed down from my grandfather to my dad and to me. If there ever was an ownership it was lost about 20 years ago..

"Zero Tolerance" is the name of the game out there this year.

The OPP warned everyone last year that 2008 was going to be "Zero Tolerance".

Not only did another OFC'er mention this fact in a recent post, but you should already KNOW you need this stuff on board.

I say, GREAT job for the OPP!!

Your contribution will enable them to spend another day keeping our waterways safe....so, THANK YOU, to you!!!

It's not just the OPP, all police forces now have zero tolerance. If you look at what it costs to staff and equip a police force, they have to generate revenue in order to cover off their costs, ot the politicians would cut back the number of police that keep us safe.

No I am not a police officer and yes I have been charged with traffice offenses in the past that I deserved!

Hey thanks for the Reminder. You see, my ownership for my boat and trailer is in the pocket of my truck visor. It never occurred to me to bring it out on the Lake. I know how you feel, but the Cops are doing their job. Just think how many times they heard dude stories and excuses. They tend to get immune.

I don't mean to hijack this thread - but can anyone verify if it's necessary to carry an ownership on a 14' aluminum boat?

I didn't even think they gave you one with a small boat..

I have car and truck ownerships... I have a trailer ownership..

But All I have for the boat is a note from Service Canada... stating the registration numbers of my boat and my name.. but it is not a ownership though. like a vehicles... I do not think an ownership is issued... just that the registration number is in you're name should suffice?

Did you have a flashlight onboard? I could see if you lapsed judgement on checking the batteries.. but to not have one on board period... well.. it is required..

G

Edited by Gerritt

That is “THE LAW”. Otherwise why have laws? A flashlight may appear to be an insignificant item but it may save your life after your motor stops running and you are still on the water when darkness comes along. At night it will also save the authorities money in trying to find you in the dark – if they do searches at night. If not, the flashlight may make someone on shore aware that a boat is having problems on the water.

Gerritt

I lost my ownership for my 10 foot Zodiac.

Go back to your dealer – if you can do this, it will be the simplest way.

OR, go to Service Canada and get an ownership form. You then can get under oath at the lawyer office proof of ownership of your boat. According to someone on another site, the cost will be around $15.00.

I got two forms – a declaration form and an application for pleasure craft licence. On the declaration will be the licence number which would connect ownership to the licence number and the boat. I think I will check with my dealer first.

carp-starter

Sorry to hear about your mess-ed day ! Sometimes a warning would go a long way toward better relations ... especially if you actually had a flash in your safety kit ... anyhow to answer the question which Rich and a few others had ...

I found this on service Canada's website (geesh I can bet big bucks on the fact that the old-tinny-at the cottage has no ownership papers - its at least 50 years old ... the full document is online at http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats/index.shtml

Rich - It would seem that registration is not mandatory as long as your boat was licenced ... and licence is only necessary if you have greater than 10hp ...

=============

Registration

The Canadian Register of Vessels is a title system for the ownership of vessels. It contains information on each vessel, such as ownership and vessel characteristics, i.e., tonnage, construction material, and type. Registration in this register, in addition to providing an official number, also provides each vessel with a unique name. It also confers certain benefits, such as the right to fly the Canadian flag.

Owners who intend to use the vessel as security for a marine mortgage are required to register their vessel.

Registration is optional for all pleasure craft, regardless of tonnage and length, as per the Canada Shipping Act.

New owners of a previously registered vessel who choose to license rather than reregister their boat must provide a transcript of the history of the vessel, obtainable from a Transport Canada registrar, attesting that the vessel has been taken off the Canadian Register of Vessels. The owner must then remove all official markings from the exterior of the vessel and place the pleasure craft licence number on both side of the bow (see Question 16).

There are costs associated with registering. However, the registration is good for as long as you own the vessel. You must carry registration documents on board the vessel at all times, together with any other ownership documents, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine.

Transport Canada provides this registration service. For frequently asked questions on registration, please visit Transport Canada's Web site.

==============

What is a pleasure craft?

A pleasure craft is a vessel that is used for recreation and does not carry passengers. It is a vessel of a prescribed class under the Canada Shipping Act.

What types of boats need to be licensed?

A licence is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with a motor of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft.

Pleasure craft of all tonnages and lengths may be licensed as per the Canada Shipping Act. Alternatively, pleasure craft owners may choose to register their vessels in the Canadian Register of Vessels.

I just bought a new boat. How do I license it?

To license a new or previously unlicensed pleasure craft, you will need the following documents:

a completed Application for Pleasure Craft Licence;

proof of ownership of the vessel; and

a valid piece of personal identification.

If proof of ownership is not available, you need a declaration under oath stating why you cannot produce the bill of sale or proof of ownership. You may use the sample declaration provided or another similar document, as long as it contains all of the information required.

You can apply for a Pleasure Craft Licence at any Service Canada Centre. For the location nearest you, visit our Find a Service Canada Centre Near You page or call 1 800 O-Canada.

You can also apply by mail. If you are applying by mail, include a signed photocopy of your personal identification document. We will return the photocopy to you when we send you your licence.

For more information about licensing a pleasure craft, visit our How-to page.

============

No excuse for NOT having the required/mandatory safety equipment on board. Zero tolerence is the position being taking this boating season. This topic, safety equipment required and licensing regulations have been discussed ad-naseum on this board. Use the search engine and learn something.

My advice QUIT YER WHINNING, read the regulations that have been linked her several times. Before you leave the dock make sure all necessary equipment and documentation are in your boat.

just JOHN

I have a photo-copy of my registration in a zip lock bag and it's taped inside a compartment in my boat and readily available when ever I'm asked for it. I've been stopped & checked by the OPP many times over the years and a photo copy is perfectly legal and it keeps the original in a safe place at home.

no offence. but althought u feel like u may not have deserved the fine. you did.

what would a cop do if he pulled you over in your car and u didn't have the registration for your car? same thing.

atleast you know for next time.

no offence. but althought u feel like u may not have deserved the fine. you did.

what would a cop do if he pulled you over in your car and u didn't have the registration for your car? same thing.

atleast you know for next time.

I very much do know for the next time. As to the car, I think it depends on the cop, location, and circumstances. Some would offer a warning, some would write up a ticket, some would ask that you bring in your ID to the station within 24 hours.

As for the comment about my whining by "Just John": Guess you must walk on water or at least you think you do. Have you checked lately? Spare me the lecture.

I very much do know for the next time. As to the car, I think it depends on the cop, location, and circumstances. Some would offer a warning, some would write up a ticket, some would ask that you bring in your ID to the station within 24 hours.

As for the comment about my whining by "Just John": Guess you must walk on water or at least you think you do. Have you checked lately? Spare me the lecture.

some cops are just control freak power addicts though..

my friend didnt' have his reg. i was like o poop he's gonna get fined.. but he just played stupid and got off with a verbal warning. i was like man u are super lucky thats like a 350$ fine

Some of these responses are like individuals have elected themselves Judge/Jury & Executioner---The guy had an oversight and it cost him---I think nobody would be happy with the $430 touch

I myself have grabbed my flashlight out of the boat in a hurry because it was close and threw it in my truck only to drop the boat in the water sans flashlight---now I just travel another 100 ft and get another light.

Now instead of posting "Wants" picture in the post office as someone who ravages the country's waterways knowingly breaking Transport Canada's laws--cut him some slack---cause I have yet to meet that person incapable of an oversight.

Bushart

tough call, i guess they are doing their jobs, ....agreed, but who the heck came up with $430 dollars!!!!!!!!!!! This day and age thats enough to break the bank and really mess someone up financially! I think the fine is justified, as hard as it is to swallow........but the amount is way more than necassary in my opinion.