Kids Fishing Derby

ccmtcanada

Way back in the early spring, Hearingfish (Stan) invited my daughter to compete in a kids fishing derby. Well, today was finally the day. It was held at a fishing club with private ponds stocked with perch, sunfish and rainbow trout.

The tournament had 3 main prizes....one for biggest perch, biggest sunfish and most fish for a family. Anyhow, we met up with Stan in the parking lot around 9am, and proceeded to the registration. After paying the fees, they directed our little one out to an area where they had gifts for all the kids who participated. By about 945, we found our spot on the pond and literally, within seconds, she has her first fish of the day landed. A tiny perch. Here I am helping her remove the hook.

tourney1.jpg

She continued to land perch after perch, with the odd sunfish mixed in. All these fish counted torwards the results. A fair sized one was put in to be measured and we kept on going. She worked hard for all her fish too....she was out there for 2 hours straight...trying different locations around the dock.

tourney3.jpg

Bly was out there throwing spinners trying to entice a stocked rainbow to hit, and it wasn't long before she caught a nice one that is now getting ready to be our dinner.

tourney2.jpg

Bly and I took turns trying for rainbows while the other helped unhook our little ones fish. Finally...just before we were to break for lunch, I got a feisty trout!

tourney4.jpg

Our daughter had a great time and met up with a new friend....Hearingfish's daughter. They were inseparable all day long.

tourney5.jpg

tourney6.jpg

Hearingfish, not to be oudone, lands a trout after the tourny was over.

tourney7.jpg

Then, for the exciting part of the day. We found out that Sydney had won the biggest perch prize for the day! She was sooooo excited...she's always wanted a trophy and now she has one. Check out her prize....a 7 foot flyrod with reel, fishing vest (woo hoo...since it's too big I suppose I'll use it....LOL), a tackle box filled with tackle and of course, what she really wanted....a trophy!!

winner1.jpg

winner2.jpg

Thank so much Stan...we all had a GREAT day out there today. It was great seeing you again and a real pleasure to meet your family and spend the day out there with you all.

glad to hear you had a great day .. wont be long until she is outfishing you

Heck!!! His wife already does!!! :Gonefishing: I really don't see where it's going to be hard for Sydney either!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Excellent report and pics Cliff!!!! :clapping:

It just doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks everyone!

She hasn't stopped smiling and kisses that trophy when she sees it. She just came downstairs and she wants to keep it in her bed for tonight...LOL.

Terry - leave my ice fishing alone. That first fish was huge...that's the way I remember it and that's the way I tell the story.... :lol:

Bri - She already outfishes me....now she has the trophy to rub it in my face....hehe.

Glen - Yep...you said it....she cant stop smiling about the day. She told me just before she found out she won that she's had the bestest bestest day ever. And I've accepted the fact that I suck at fishing....LOL.

Jedi - I agree...we stressed that hard work won't always mean that you win, but if don't work hard you probably wont win. I think she's starting to understand that now. She knows that we were proud of her...even before we found out the final result.

Edited by ccmt

Great storytelling. reads like a play by play. I used to use orange and yellow bobbers like those when i was young. Oh, to be back in those simpler days again...my biggest decision was deciding if i was going to use it yellow or orange side up. So we'll be seeing that vest in the next pictures? lol

WTG and congrats to Sydney! This will definitely add on to her fishing addiction :D!

however, I do feel bad for the other kids who attended that tourney ... I'm sure they knew it's over when Syndey puts her line into the water... at least there are many other tourneys the other kids can go to haha!!!

Sydney - you ROCK!!! Congrats on your prize winning catch, you have a couple of the best fishing trainers/coaches in the GTA. Their expertise is obviously rubbing off on you. Don't worry Cliff, I won't tell anyone that you got out fished on Saturday as well. Ooops.....now where is the delete button. :whistling:

Sydney - you ROCK!!! Congrats on your prize winning catch, you have a couple of the best fishing trainers/coaches in the GTA. Their expertise is obviously rubbing off on you. Don't worry Cliff, I won't tell anyone that you got out fished on Saturday as well. Ooops.....now where is the delete button. :whistling:

Will....I still have to write that report from Saturday...I can make you look like a fishing god or jerk....hmmm....

Thanks for the kind words. Sydney is still talking about it and showing her trophy to anyone she sees walking by...LOL.