Done, Over, Finished. Looking Back At 06.

Moosebunk

Tonnes of pic's here as 2006 was another wonderful year on the waters all over Ontario.

Winter was highlighted by 3 different trips and a dozen or so days around home on the Moose. In February a small group of us skidoo'd 80km up to Halfway Point for brookies, a trip that produced no fish but was an awesome ride north. Early March my oldest daughter and I joined friends on Temagami for a good bonding experience. Late March saw Floatfishin' and Fishforfun join Bren and I for Kesagami pike and eyes, and, we slayed 'em good.

icetroot1.jpg

1st fish of 2006.

trout2.jpg

4089kweta6A-med.jpg

kweta7.jpg

temagami6.jpg

B12.jpg

B15.jpg

B3.jpg

B13.jpg

Spring came in early and because of it I was able to get my boat on the water earlier than normal. With pike open all year up here I ended up targetting them more often and it unfortunately meant giving up some time for searun specks. The budding season was highlighted by the walleye opener on the Cheepas and Moose rivers, but it also became a season where I hosted more folks than usual and we had some good successful outings. June 6th I pinned a personal best walleye on a pink grub.

4089pike1c-med.jpg

4089pike1a-med.jpg

4089gabor2-med.jpg

4089gabor4-med.jpg

4089speck3-med.jpg

4089speck8-med.jpg

4089cheepasI-med.jpg

bothma4.jpg

4089bushy1-med.jpg

40898eye1z-med.jpg

4089bushyeye1-med.jpg

Summer and fall next post below.

Summer never actually came. The months that were supposed to be warm and dry were wet and all over the place. I remember a little snow late one night in August as well when camping with the kids. The few things that saved the season were the trips to M-Cabi and the Ekwan River, a week off on Snare Lake, five days south with buddies, and the boat project. Ekwan with my brother in law ended up basically the highlight of the year, and on that trip a personal best pike for weight was landed.

snare7.jpg

mcabi-w.jpg

mcabi-u.jpg

mcabi-s.jpg

mcabi-l.jpg

south4z.jpg

ekwanpikec.jpg

ekwanpikea.jpg

normal_ekwanpikeh.jpg

ekwanpikekz.jpg

Autumn was tough. Fishing was tough. Winter was seemingly coming early and prematurely the boat was put away. I usually love the fall pike season but this year they were a month behind I'd bet on stacking at the backbays where whities go to spawn. A trip south at the end of September followed by a last kick at the can for lakers after Xmas made the long waits for frozen ice a little more bearable. Some different species were caught but my pride and joy was catching my first brown trout.

perth-h.jpg

perth-f.jpg

perth-c.jpg

perth-d.jpg

sunstroke4.jpg

niagara-13-1.jpg

niagara-02-2.jpg

niagara-01-brown3.jpg

niagara-06-3.jpg

niagara-12-4.jpg

Now, for the geeky stuff. Yeah, I keep good records. I imagine most would if they lived where I do and found they had the time I have. So here's some stuff I find interesting.

Total fish recorded. 331 + 185+/- (M-cabi/Ekwan) Total fish 516. Pike 178, walleye 264, bass 38, trout 16.

Best fishing weather at home, calm, sunny and hot.

Total fishing days = 62. (67 in 2005) Total hours 276.5 making an average of 4.5 hours per outing.

No catch days = 10. (17 in 2005)

Days out with the family for fishing = 15. (8 in 2005)

Average catch per outing = 5.34 fish (8.32 fish incl. M-Cabi and Ekwan trips). 2002 was 2.95, 2003 = 3.18, 2004 = 3.32, 2005 = 5.06 (6.80 incl M-Cabi trip)

Average catch per hour = 1.2 / 1.87 (M&E)

Goals met. Increase catch average, new PB walleye, family out 12 or more times, catch 1 new species. Goals not met, catching 1st lake sturgeon and new PB brookie.

Next years goals, PB pike 20lb+, increase catch average, catch 1 new species, catch at least 10 brookies.

Geeeeeeeeeek I told ya.

Bring on 07.

Ahhh. Now I understand how to do it.

Congratulations on a terrific year (more fish and hours fishin than any other OFNer, I would expect). For anyone who has in their sad, pathetic lifetimes ever wetted a line, that post is a fastasy come true.

Amazing fish, scenery, and fish as well. Thanks, Moosebunk.

We could do with more pics of your kids, tho, darn cute.

The hungry household kept a few too. 10 pike, 82 walleye and 7 trout.

Tonights dinner I called the "Lake Erie Feed." Cedar smoked rainbow trout with an onion, pepper, mango and curry salsa, and, walleye bacon tornadoes marinated in balsamic vinaigrette and strawberry juice.

Never eat too much fish. It's the best meat for ya.

We could do with more pics of your kids, tho, darn cute.

How true. :D

WOW!!! What a great summary!!! I caught a grand total of 10 fish in 06...not counting pan fish!! We keep records of all the sizes and weights too...so you're not too much of a geek...wait...maybe I'm a geek too....lol. Anyhow...awesome report, and I hope one day to be as successful as you!