French River Long Weekend Report

steve_paul

Loaded the truck and boat Thursday and hit the road early with my kids, Jess and Ryan, for 4 days at the French River.

med_gallery_67_323_52568.jpg

Ride up that early was easy, very little traffic and through the worst parts before too many people are up and on the road. Always get a laugh at this sign as you get to Noelville - glad they didn't tell me to go North in Noelville or I would have been toast

med_gallery_67_323_36550.jpg

Found out also that the US is not the only place going thru Elections - good luck Bud

med_gallery_67_323_42887.jpg

We were in the water, at the island and unloaded by 11am and time to relax a bit before getting the cottage all set up

med_gallery_67_323_62053.jpg

That also was about the last we saw of the sun. Lots of rain for the time we were there, very cold temps and had a hard time finding any water over 49 degrees. Fishing was tough, we found lots of fish on the finder but could not get them to take any of our offerings - tried slow small presentations, worms, minnows, Gulp Alive, very slow trolling, worm harnesses, pretty much everything I could think of but the pickerel just weren't taking. Luckily I packed lots of other cottage goodies so the kids and I wouldn't starve (very important fact to a big guy like me)

med_gallery_67_323_47762.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_7371.jpg

The long weekend did give us an opportunity to test out the new boat (Lund SSV 16 with Merc 30HP 2 stroke) that we bought last fall. It ran like a charm, was great on gas ($21 for the weekend :clapping:) and was very comfortable for the 3 of us to fish from

med_gallery_67_323_13326.jpg

In between fishing we spent lots of time warming up by the fire in the cottage and drying out before our next run

med_gallery_67_323_29981.jpg

Jess warming up with my cousins dog Arthur

med_gallery_67_323_5577.jpg

We did get into some pike though which kept our fishing spirits up and a couple will eventually make it to the deep fryer

med_gallery_67_323_77977.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_44542.jpg

All in all, a very wet cold weekend but had an incredible time with the kids so no complaints. It is always a pleasure just to get up to the French River and enjoy the beauty of it. Always get some great pics at the very least and memories that last a lifetime.

Full Moon shot on the river

med_gallery_67_323_11041.jpg

The Road Runner Tree (if you find it there are some big muskie hanging around there just waiting for the opener)

med_gallery_67_323_4164.jpg

Til the next trip over the Canada Day Holiday

med_gallery_67_323_33496.jpg

Edited by steve_paul

nice pics!! can't wait to get back up there ;)

a coupla years ago that hwy 64 sign was missing at the turn/restaurant in noelville. at least there was no confusion about which was is north :D:rolleyes:

Awesome pics!! I love the French, definitely my favourite place to fish :) Where abouts are you located on the French? Main channel? My dad and I are heading up for the June 7th opener, I *think* I know where abouts those trees are.....

That cottage looks awful familiar :)

The fish in my avatar was caught just around the corner from the 'Cross'.

Edited by BillM

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for the report. The weather did suck but its always great to get away from the city and enjoy what the North has to offer. And the food always tastes better up there. :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like a good time had by all !!!!. :w00t:B) .and dont fret about the fishing,it wasnt that good at the bay of quinte either,and at least you guys did get a few pike to keep it interesting !!,and well the weather sure sucked!!!!!!. :blink::glare: ..and the way i see it it will only get better,and you did have a nice warm cottage to go to,with your family....thanks for the report cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Too bad all weekend aren't the Looooong variety.

First political party to bring that in gets my vote!!!!!!!!!! I should have asked Bud if that was part of his plan.

Looks like a great weekend for them lucky kids.

They are lucky but I am lucky too, Ryan handles the boat all weekend so I get to fish and relax, Jess helps me clean the fish and with the cooking so it all evens out.

beans and weiners...life is good :clapping:

Also fed them Chili, Beef Jerky and Pepperettes from Cleo's in Noelville. Life was not that good on the way home :asshat::stretcher:

Where is your cottage? I love that area. Also, did you vote for Bud while you were at the Dokis Marina?

I don't think I get a vote up there unfortuneately.

Thanks for the report. The weather did suck but its always great to get away from the city and enjoy what the North has to offer. And the food always tastes better up there. :thumbsup_anim:

It is so different up there, nothing beats an early morning coffee on the deck just listening to the sounds of the river - no cars, no other noise, just water, nature and the occasional outboard - everything God intended us to hear.