OH CANADA . . . . . Oh! OH! OH!

Photoz

As I approached Rouge Park, out near the extreme east end of Lawrence Avenue in West Hill, I spotted our Canadian flag merrily flapping in the breeze, atop a HUGE pole . . . . perhaps 30+ metres high . . . can be seen for miles! But . . . . . as I got closer, I could see shredded remnants of ANOTHER flag under our national symbol also fluttering around. Barely enough left of it to identify . . . . but the words 'WEST ROUGE' were readable. Some of those tatters though were NOT from the West Rouge flag, but from our own Canadian flag! If there ISN'T a law making it an offense to fly a frayed, tattered, decrepid-looking Canadian flag, there SURE AS HELL SHOULD BE. This tattered symbol of our country is flying only a kilometre away from where the brave and dedicated Canadian soldiers are being transported via our 'HIGHWAY OF HEROS" on their way to their final resting place, after giving the supreme sacrifice to defend our country. How much does a new flag cost . . . . and just who is responsible for this travistry? I know I'll be sending pics of this to several media outlets this afternoon . . . . watta damn shame to see this 'RAG' flapping in the breeze . . . am I over-reacting . . . . or do others feel the same way. Maybe SOMEONE else on the board MIGHT know who to approach to have this thing replaced?

WATTA WAY TO SHOW OUR PRIDE, EH?

med_gallery_77_129_81807.jpg

med_gallery_77_129_64553.jpg

it is sad, but all too often you see this now adays, my grandfather, a war veteran, replaces his a few times a year, whenever they get tattered or faded. My wife once worked in a flag store here in ottawa, and flags are not all that expensive to replace, i think the government will actually send one to you if you email the heritage minister. Thats pretty sad when you see a public building with a flag like that.

I hear ya Steve. Once you make a commitment to fly our flag, part of that commitment is to keep it in very good condition. Our flag must always be on its own mast without another flag under or over it.

. . am I over-reacting . . . . or do others feel the same way.[/font]

Your right in saying something should be done about it.

I think the flag is supposed to come down everyday too. By the looks of the lower flag its just left up there, who could change the flag and look at that everyday.

Either put it up and take care of it or leave it down...thats what I think.

The Toronto Star 'fixer' column my like this one seeing as its a 30meter pole.

forrest

Dignity of the Flag

The National Flag of Canada should be displayed only in a manner befitting this important national symbol; it should not be subjected to indignity or displayed in a position inferior to any other flag or ensign. The National Flag always takes precedence over all other national flags when flown in Canada. The only flags to which precedence is given over the Canadian flag are the personal standards of members of the Royal Family and of Her Majesty's eleven representatives in Canada (ie. The Governor General and 10 Lieutenant Governors).

The National Flag of Canada should always be flown on its own mast - flag protocol dictating that it is improper to fly two or more flags on the same mast (eg. one beneath the other). Further, the following points should be kept in mind:

The National Flag of Canada should not be used as table/seat cover, as a masking for boxes or as a barrier on a dais or platform.

While it is not technically incorrect to use the National Flag of Canada to cover a statue, monument or plaque for an unveiling ceremony, it is not common practice to do so and should be discouraged.

Nothing should be pinned to or sewn on the National Flag of Canada.

The National Flag of Canada should not be signed or marked in any way (A border could be attached to the outside edge of the Flag on which it would be acceptable to have signatures leaving the Flag itself untouched).

When the National Flag of Canada is raised or lowered, or when it is carried past in a parade or review, all present should face the flag, men should remove their hats, and all should remain silent. Those in uniform should salute.

To read more go here>....................http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...tte/index_e.cfm

The best way is to just change it yourself if you can, then it gets done.

We take a flag to Main Duck Is. every year and change it out if somebody hasn't already. Sometimes the locals fly the Main Duck flag that is the 2 red bars with a duck in the center instead of the maple leaf, I don't know where they get it.

Main Duck is part of Parks Canada but I doubt they've ever put a flag on it.

Steve, there's a flagpole just before the causeway crossing Chemong Lake and the Canadian flag flying there was in the same disgraceful condition as the one you've posted here, so I contacted the municipal office for that area and lodged a complaint and the tattered flag was removed the next day, but strangely enough, they didn't raise a new one.

That is a total DISGRACE!

Over-reacting? Hardly I would say, it is too bad that ALL Canadians don't have the same sense of pride as you do!

That maybe just a flag (to some) but it also represents all the lives sacrificed to have the Canada that we have today!

I would love to hear more than a "yes" opinion as too why any Canadian would feel that you are over-reacting!

QUOTE(Photoz @ May 11 2008, 01:05 PM)

am I over-reacting . . . .

yes

Absolutly not overacting. Not doing anything about it is just as much of a disgrace. Kind of reminds me of Canada Day a couple of years ago in Wasaga Beach. During the soccer Championships. It was absolutely discusting and shameful. A disgrace that I never want to witness again. Ya Photoz you are absolutely right to feel as you do.

Well Steve, if no one does something about it who will? Go for it! It might only be one of many that are in poor condition but if you can get it corrected, it will be one less.

Good for you for doing something about it!

AMAZING!?! Of 4 media outlets I managed to contact, it was kinda . . . "Ho . . Hum . . . ?" I guess why this particular incident 'jumped out' at me . . . . the flag is HUGE . . . . the pole is MASSIVE . . . . . it was put there to be seen . . . . . one more shot later today . . . . . I'll find out who the M. P. for the area is, and perhaps who is the city councillor and if the interest just isn't there, maybe the local branch of the Canadian Legion . . . . . SOMEBODY'S GOTTA GIVE A crap?, . . . . if nothing else, at least SMALL (but no less important) flags aren't quite so noticeable!

Would not want to offend any groups with a nice - shiny - clean CANADIAN FLAG!!!!

Heaven forbid we stand tall and proud and show our colours!!!! Might have to hide it away the same as Christmas decorations and pork products.

This is a disgrace!!!! - Our own government even banned a Christmas tree from a court house a couple years ago.

This is who we are - and if you dont like it - leave!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should it be changed? yes of course it should.

but you would be suprised how quick a flag gets destroyed in the wind once one little thread goes they seem to go to tatters in days.

Do I get offended by the flag falling apart? not really, My pride in Canada isn't expressed by the flag but rather it's people and the rich history we have at coming to the aid of those in need, the living in harmony of all cultures and the fact were the best peacekeepers in the world among other things.

Furthermore those fine young men that have been brought back along the highway of heros deserve better than a couple people waving canadian flags on overpasses but rather the attention and thanks from 33 million people in canada for the freedom that them and there forefathers have brought us

:thumbsup_anim:I got answers already from ALL THREE levels of government, AND the Pres of the Highland Creek Legion. Even the M P's riding that I got wrong said they'd forward the info to the right office. The tower is owned by Telus, the flags belong to the West Rouge Conservation Authority, but Telus is SUPPOSED to look after the flags. It's just that this flag is so big & so visible, and I drive a half kilomtere toward it coming and going, it REALLY irked me.

Good on you Steve for your concerns on the flag! It was a true disgrace to have it up like that. Even better to hear you got to the right people to have it reviewed.

I'm glad to see another fellow Canadian with such passion for our Nation's symbols and historical items.

Steve, there's a flagpole just before the causeway crossing Chemong Lake and the Canadian flag flying there was in the same disgraceful condition as the one you've posted here, so I contacted the municipal office for that area and lodged a complaint and the tattered flag was removed the next day, but strangely enough, they didn't raise a new one.

So whats worse?? A tattered flag, or no flag at all!!! I say no flag at all....

Should it be changed? yes of course it should.

but you would be suprised how quick a flag gets destroyed in the wind once one little thread goes they seem to go to tatters in days.

Do I get offended by the flag falling apart? not really, My pride in Canada isn't expressed by the flag but rather it's people and the rich history we have at coming to the aid of those in need, the living in harmony of all cultures and the fact were the best peacekeepers in the world among other things.

Furthermore those fine young men that have been brought back along the highway of heros deserve better than a couple people waving canadian flags on overpasses but rather the attention and thanks from 33 million people in canada for the freedom that them and there forefathers have brought us

Well said