Another Fishing Outing turned Nature Watching NF

Ben_Daniels

I was at one of my local spots today trying for some Brown's and was skunked yet again :wallbash: , I think once the water warms a little more and the alewives start spawning the Browns will move up shallower... But anyways I did have a chance to see 3 beavers which was amazing. I had my back turned to the water while I was retying and heard a big splash. I turned around and there was nothing there, I fired a cast out and then I heard another big splash...It was a 30-40 pound beaver about 10 feet from me in between me and my lure...I yelled Holy $%^! at the top of my lungs and he was gone before I even knew it. I decided to put my rod down and just watch and try to take some pictures of these beavers. I waited around for about 40 minutes until 2 more beavers came out of this dam. One swam away from where I was and went out of sight. The second beaver was swimming towards me! He came up on shore about 30 feet from me and just sat down looking around. He looked really sleepy and began to chew on some twigs. I decided to get a little closer and began taking pics....

Picture011.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture039.jpg

He let me get very close before he darted away, I guess he's still sleepy from winter!

Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

The reflection in this picture is the CN Tower

Picture046.jpg

Gotta love this shot with the CN Tower in the background!

Picture045.jpg

So even though I didn't catch any fish it was still a really amazing time out there, In my 2 times fishing for browns this year I've been skunked both times but I saw a beaver this time and a Map turtle last time so I'm happy either way.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Thanks guys, I was pretty amazed to see a beaver so close to downtown Toronto....well this kind of beaver :lol:

Don't worry a .410 is a great calibre for beavers!.... Be careful in how close you get to those critters.. Giardiasis is real and their feces is what makes you ill....

Food for thought..

G

Good looking out Gerritt, I had no idea about Giardiasis, but I just googled it..and I definitely don't want it lol. do people actually hunt beavers? beaver jerky? :unsure:

-Ben

Don't worry a .410 is a great calibre for beavers!.... Be careful in how close you get to those critters.. Giardiasis is real and their feces is what makes you ill....

Food for thought..

G

Yea? How close would you have to get to catch it? Intimate close I would think, and its the wrong kind for that.... just dont ingest the water they swim/live in and I think you'll be fine

Nice shots BTW!.

Great report! One time, while trib fishing at night I was drifting for some trout when the crowds were not around...just me and the sound of gently running water, the trees, and peace and quiet. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any hits. Suddenly it sounds like someone dropped a cinder block from a height of about 100ft into the water. I jumped out of my skin, my heart rate went to about 200, and I almost dropped my fishing rod. Seems I was sharing this part of the trib with a beaver.

Love the pics!! Soon that area will be teaming with fish....still a bit early....seems everything is a bit late this year.

Great to see ya enjoying the wildlife, I too love to see wildlife, makes all my trips worthwhile. I was out yesterday walking with my dogs and 2 Moose come walking out right behind me. They were within 30 feet of me, I managed a few pics, but nothing great. It all happened pretty fast, but something I'll never forget.

Some great pics there Ben.

I walk my pooch at Ashbridges alot in the early mornings and also see alot of beavers there too, and just yesterday I was about as close to one as you have in your pictures. I was only about 10' from him and he was sitting perfectly still, I spose thinking I couldn't see him.

They've become a real nuisance there though with all the trees they've killed over the last few years. So bad infact that the city has wrapped the trees with heavy wire screen to keep the beavers away from them.

Still facinating critters to watch though.

Their is little enough wildlife seen in cities like Toronto and comments such as these Don't worry a .410 is a great calibre for beavers!.... are a prime reason. :angry:

Take no notice of Gerritt, he likes beaver just as much as the next guy.......... :whistling:

By the way, welcome aboard.........

Edited by John

A beavers house is called a lodge ... a dam is what they build to hold back the water ... Beaver are very active all winter they dont hibernate.

My dad has skinned thousands of beavers and has never got sick and if anyone knows how to skin one you know that you touch the feces every time with your knife.. A .410 makes a mess of the hide .... use a .22 mag :thumbsup_anim:

very nice pics ... the one with the tower in the background is wicked ..

Those beavers and their habitat were created and funded and maintained by the local conservation authority. Lew, the tree's have been wrapped up like that for at least 2-3 years.

I spoke with a rep of the authority and they are building new habitat for the beavers, including plans for a bass pond. I haven't been down there for close to a year, but I'm assuming things are moving along at a typical government pace.

As your walking along the Spit, I believe, just past the bridge, on your left hand side, follow the path and you'll see the beginnings of the new habitat they are building.

Pretty cool to find all that, within a couple of miles and definately within site of the country's largest city. If more folks here in T.O. actually knew about it, it might help to get some folks more in tune with nature as opposed to the Mall! :wallbash:

HH

Nice work! Rather have beaver chewing on that dogwood than see a cormorant flying off with one for their nest..

I've heard of the odd brown caught there but they're few and far between. Have you had a gander at Ashbridges? You might hook into less pike "incidentals"... :whistling:

tight loops

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Lots of beavers around our way. They can be a real nuisance sometimes. Did you notice in your pics(#6 and 7) the sticks stockpiled by the beavers? They like to store that stuff in boathouses up here. God what a mess to remove. This past fall, after most had left their cottages, a beaver chewed a large poplar behind my uncles cottage. It fell on his roof. It was discovered mid winter. Of course by then the damage had increased from a crushed roof to inside water damage. Awful mess. It's sometimes hard to get along with nature. Washed out dams can flood and wash out roads. And if the dam is on your private property and it washes out you can be liable for the damage it causes. Found it hard to believe but apparently it's true. A fellow who works with me has this problem. He tries to get rid of them but they keep coming back.