are you a member of the OFAH?

bramptonjerry

Well their poaching certainly wasnt a result of being a member of OFAH, thats for sure, but I feel no desire to be associated with an organization that has members like this. Simple enough really....

Good to see you again Dano... I'm sure you'll get a body lift in a few hours!

Louis..

Another aspect, Insurance I wanted to join a local bass club ( of which I still might join) while I have no issues with the fee 65 bucks I found that part of it goes to OFAH as membership and that I must be a member of OFAH to join this club in order to get the mandatory insurance coverage from them.

Now I have personal insurance that after looking at OFAH's and discussing it with my broker, the inusrance I carry is about twice as good as thiers and therefore really means that on the insurance front I dont need to join OFAH, but Im told I still do, go figure.

You do realize that being insured from two different companies for the same "function" leaves you pretty much SOL in a claim. Neither will want to pay out and will fight back and forth that you had alternate insurance... leaving you in deep do do until they sort it out after a few years. You'd better wear a sign during each outing stating which organization you are hunting/fishing under today. What organzation you are a "member" of when at a meeting etc.

Edited by irishfield

Well im a member,and i do support alot of their decisions,and they are they only ones who do stand up for us anglers/hunters...but yes there are some issues that i dont agree with as well,but for the good that they do overall i will continue to support them,and at least have them in our corner,they do way more good,than bad !!!! and im glad that we have them :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

Dano - Charlotte was better :)

Anyway, if every person out there thought the same way P3TA thought we would never be allowed to eat meat. The fact is people give to P3TA cause the get a message out it may not reflect everyones but its out there.

OFHA is a group that puts a message out, People do not vote or contact there goveremnt to yell and scream about stuff. They almost always expect lobby groups to do it for them.

I was just thinking that a few people ticked off with Simcoe closing access wanted the OFHA involved. That requires a person monday to friday 9-5 working and calling and pushing the message out., If you win the lottery and can volunteer your time to do this great but somebody has to be paid to do this.

I may not always agree with what they say, do or where the money goes but I have the right as a member to see the books, attend meetings and voice my opinions.

In my personal opinion if you have never voted, wrote your Provincial goverment, mayor, city counsler etc.. You better join an organistation that trys to push on your behaf.

People are lazy to do something about it, but get a shoe box and stand up and complain about what is not happening.

Good to see you again Dano... I'm sure you'll get a body lift in a few hours!

Louis..

You do realize that being insured from two different companies for the same "function" leaves you pretty much SOL in a claim. Neither will want to pay out and will fight back and forth that you had alternate insurance... leaving you in deep do do until they sort it out after a few years. You'd better wear a sign during each outing stating which organization you are hunting/fishing under today. What organzation you are a "member" of when at a meeting etc.

I asked my Broker that and he said something similar...so when I asked if I could just join the club and use my own personal insurance ( which is better in my brokers opinion) I was told 35 bucks but I still needed to be a member of OFAH....talk about strong arming not the club but OFAH.....

Edited by aniceguy

While I concur that the OFAH is probably the best known advocate for anglers and hunters in Ontario, I contend that the OFAH management team doesn’t care much about grassroots input. How many times have individual OFAH members been solicited for their views or for their support of various issues. From my own experience, all the OFAH wants from me each year is my membership dues plus as many other donations as I’ll make. Have I ever been approached to provide an opinion on issues (e.g. select 10 out of the following 15 issues you would like to see the OFAH support next year)? Never! Each spring, it’s the same dilemma – do I support the OFAH for another year. Each year, I conclude that something is better than nothing. And there’s an added bonus - I get to read Ontario Out of Doors too.

I contend that the OFAH management team doesn’t care much about grassroots input. How many times have individual OFAH members been solicited for their views or for their support of various issues. From my own experience, all the OFAH wants from me each year is my membership dues plus as many other donations as I’ll make. Have I ever been approached to provide an opinion on issues (e.g. select 10 out of the following 15 issues you would like to see the OFAH support next year)? Never!

When was the last time you attended your Zone meeting? This is when you have a chance to voice your concerns.

Edited by Woodsman

EVERYONE WHO WETS A LINE SHOULD JOIN.

OFAH IS THE ONLY PROVINCIAL ORGANIZATION THAT FIGHTS FOR YOUR RIGHTS AS A FISHERMAN, BY MAKING SURE THEY ARE IN THE GOVERNMENTS FACE ON EVERY ISSUE AFFECTING FISHING IN ONTARIO.

THEY ARE A LOBBY GROUP, AND MAKE NO MISTAKE THERE ARE A BUNCH OF OTHER LOBBY GROUPS OUT THERE TRYING TO GET FISHING AND HUNTING BANNED - LIKE COMPLETELY.

ORGANIZATIONS LIKE "P3TA" SPEND LOTS OF MONEY LOBBYING YOUR GOVERNMENTS TO REDUCE AND REMOVE FISHING IN ONTARIO. THEY RUN CAMPAIGNS IN YOUR CHILDRENS SCHOOLS THAT SAY FISHING IS TORTURE. THEY RUN VERY EXPENSIVE MAGAZINE ADS.

THEY ARE A VERY POWERFUL GROUP AND OFAH IS ONE OF THE FEW THAT'S LOBBYING AGAINST THEM TO THE GOVERNMENT TO PROTECT YOUR "RIGHTS" AS FISHERMEN AND HUNTERS.

IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH HOW THEY RUN THINGS, JOIN UP AND JUMP IN AND RUN THINGS YOURSELF. THEY ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO GET INVOLVED.

GROUPS LIKE "P3TA" MUST BE FOUGHT AGAINST WITH LOBBY DOLLARS. SUCKS DOES'NT IT. BUT THAT IS THE WAY YOUR GOVERNMENT WORKS, AND MOST POLITICIANS IN THIS COUNTRY ( NOT ALL) WOULD'NT KNOW HOW TO USE A FISHING ROD.

EVERYONE WHO WETS A LINE SHOULD JOIN.

OFAH IS THE ONLY PROVINCIAL ORGANIZATION THAT FIGHTS FOR YOUR RIGHTS AS A FISHERMAN, BY MAKING SURE THEY ARE IN THE GOVERNMENTS FACE ON EVERY ISSUE AFFECTING FISHING IN ONTARIO.

not even close on that one.....I ll wager I have more badges from Queens park in my car then all OFAH staff combined, there are some great and some very powerful environmental lobbists at Queen Park that far overshadow the influence that OFAH has with this current liberal Government, just watch this bait ban on bears coming up

THEY ARE A LOBBY GROUP, AND MAKE NO MISTAKE THERE ARE A BUNCH OF OTHER LOBBY GROUPS OUT THERE TRYING TO GET FISHING AND HUNTING BANNED - LIKE COMPLETELY.

I fully agree on that one......and hence the reason why there needs to be a different perspective on issues. When Species at Risk came up in commitee OFAH and CRAA both sent the same message, an additional group wanted something added and no matter how much we fought it was a done deal.... lobbists negotiate and work on behalf of thier paying members some groups gain consencus from membership some dont. I have heard it from every walk of membership at Queens Park that they fear the non paid lobbist much more then the paid one as the unpaid one is on a mission......Im not aware of any un paid lobbists at OFAH that have access

ORGANIZATIONS LIKE "P3TA" SPEND LOTS OF MONEY LOBBYING YOUR GOVERNMENTS TO REDUCE AND REMOVE FISHING IN ONTARIO. THEY RUN CAMPAIGNS IN YOUR CHILDRENS SCHOOLS THAT SAY FISHING IS TORTURE. THEY RUN VERY EXPENSIVE MAGAZINE ADS.

At the same time groups run classroom hatcheries that are geared to the gr 4 ciriculium and teach children the value of fish as an indicator species of watershed heath and that outdoor activities such as fishing are part of Candian heritage( something now firmly entrenched in law) We also teach that sustainable fish harvest for table fare is a good thing and again part of Canadiana heritage. Expensive ads work wonders if your aming at gaining some status but generally those that support P3TA via money are not avid readers of rod and gun

THEY ARE A VERY POWERFUL GROUP AND OFAH IS ONE OF THE FEW THAT'S LOBBYING AGAINST THEM TO THE GOVERNMENT TO PROTECT YOUR "RIGHTS" AS FISHERMEN AND HUNTERS.

Again not even close but its ok we all have opinions....If I havent heard 1000 times how OFAH is comprised of 75 yr old members and where is the youth I havent heard it once....dont get me wrong you cant replace the knowledge of an older chap with that of a younger never ever, but again times do change and things like sustainable fish practices and the supportive biodiversity stratagies might get lost on some, therefore a new vantage point towards fishery management needs to start to become mainstream something beyond the bonk and gut mentailty.

IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH HOW THEY RUN THINGS, JOIN UP AND JUMP IN AND RUN THINGS YOURSELF. THEY ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO GET INVOLVED.

I totally agree I wish that more ppl would remove them selves from Armchair Quaterbacking and actually get out and do something besides gripe.....I know I did and joined a group that aligned with my beliefs about conservation.

GROUPS LIKE "P3TA" MUST BE FOUGHT AGAINST WITH LOBBY DOLLARS. SUCKS DOES'NT IT. BUT THAT IS THE WAY YOUR GOVERNMENT WORKS, AND MOST POLITICIANS IN THIS COUNTRY ( NOT ALL) WOULD'NT KNOW HOW TO USE A FISHING ROD.

And thats the exact reason why we need to be in thier train of thoughts when making decisions that might have a negative environmental impact and thats achieved via the development of a strong relationship based on trust and an undertanding that you wont blast out press releases on market wire every chance you can. Instead pick up the phone and call the MPP or MP and have the conversation that needs to be had over ths issue

and those reading this and in particular the one who sent me a nasty email today know excatly what the heck I mean there!!!!!!

I am a member of the OFAH. Like other posters, there are some positions I agree with and others that I don't. Price of admission unless you want to lobby yourself and does anyone here really have the time.

Ringwood is now managed by OFAH - keep this in mind next time you pull in a Lake O Salmon.

I'm a member of the OFAH.I renew every year.I figure for 47.00 dollars I get a good magazine to read and if 2 bucks makes it to the "right cause", I'm ok with that.

My thoughts exactly. I joined as they were giving a Diawa rod/reel in the mix as well as the OOOD subscription. I like the OOOD rag. The rod broke after about three casts. I don't agree with everything OFAH does but I could only imagine where we would be in Ontario without OFAH. Someone needs to balance out the anti's or we would be kissing our fishing/hunting opportunities good bye...

I was a member for a long time years ago. I'm sure they are making money but I'm not worried about that. I couldn't care if they are for profit as long as they do what they say they are doing.. or atleast make a respectable effort. It cost lots of money to run something as large as OFAH. You can't expect them to get anywhere with the governement or anti's if you don't have a respectable face fronting the organization. That means a flashy office etc that's just the way it works.

I'm a member again because I realized without them.. we'll be lucky to enjoy any kind of hunting in the coming years. Think about this once hunting is stoped.. who do you think they'll come after next!

Same as for DU... they don't don't do as much for hunters as Delta Waterfowl.. you just need to be smart and pick the voice that matches your values

I already subscribe to ontario out of doors

I'm not afraid of P3TA...they're dismissed as a bunch of crazies

I think after reading all of this....I will join...but they better not ask me for more than my annual dues as they will not get a penny more

There must be a better way though...an organization that is more coincerned with the cause than with fundraising

I've been a member for a few years and learned quickly that if you voice your concerns with the OFAH whether it be your zone rep or the appropriate contacts at head office, things happen. It's amazing the complacency of sportsman these days and most choose to wait and criticize an unfavorable decision instead of getting their input in before the decision is made in the first place. This holds true for both the OFAH and the MNR. Those communication lines are open both ways and I really feel that a constant connection with any organization you belong to, makes allot of difference.

Recently I've heard allot of complaints about the OFAH and I repeatedly ask, "did you contact them before coming here and publicly complaining"? The answer is usually "no I'm not a member". If you have issue with the OFAH please call them. It does get settled. I'm guessing that most sportsman who took the time to actually call would join if not already members. You don't need to be a member to voice your concerns, complaints or inquiries.

I work with the OFAH on different projects and I'll use the Dunnville walleye program for example. It's amazing the impact you can have on an organization when you actually volunteer beside them in the field. You gain a respect for each other that can't be found just by paying a membership fee and complaining when you don't agree with a stand or action they took on an issue. I do have issues with some projects and I openly express that within the organization itself and I've seen the effect my opinion has had.

The telemarketing and fund raiser mailings can be stopped by making a call. That was the product of member input on how to fund raise more money in order to deliver programs. I called Robert Pye at head office and was removed from the mailing list and phone contact list. Easy as making the call and it saves the organization postage.

I encourage everyone here, member or not, friend or foe, to call the OFAH be it headquarters or zone rep to discuss any problems you may have with the organization. You may be surprised to hear how some people are using anti OFAH propaganda to forward their own sporting organizations. That in my eyes is the lowest an angler or hunter could sink. Anyone who wishes to start another organization and gain members based its own merits is welcome in my eyes and I may even join but not if their success is based on pointing out another outdoor sporting orgs faults or weaknesses.

Guys make the call and get it off your chest!

http://www.ofah.org

[email protected]

1-705-748-6994

BTW - That castle was built without using a single membership dollar. For more myth busting facts call that number above.

Thanks Dad for forwarding me this thread.

Dan Andrews

But if the castle wasn't built with membership dues, couldn't the money (regardless of its source) be put to better use perhaps? Maybe I will call about the the annoying telemarketing and junk mail. But then again, why do I have to do put effort into having them not contact me (uninvited I might add). I usually just keep the telemarketers on the line as long as I can if I'm bored. And I ALWAYS mail back the junk mail envelops (the ones that require no stamps). I believe everytime it scans through Canada Post, the OFAH's postage account (or whoever else sends me junk mail) gets charged per piece.

My beef with these and other lobby groups is that they hide behind science. They say science and practically all current forms of fishing and hunting go hand-in-hand. Other lobby groups say the opposite, that practically all fishing and hunting is contrary to what is best on an ecological/environmental/biological basis. But I think science should be approached with an open mind, without having any pre-disposition to the solution. By having OFAH staff biologists guiding their policy recommendations, I am sure many are sub-optimal in order to trade off in favour of hunters and fishermen.

I raised a negative point earlier in this thread about the OFAH. Let me explain. As most of you guys already know, I'm a Nipigon Brook Trout fanatic. There is no other place on the planet like it. Going back 15 or 20 years ago, or so, the Nipigon strain of Brook Trout was in trouble. There were no special regs on the books for these precious fish. The numbers of these one of a kind fish were dropping, and the sizes were getting smaller. Along came Brook Trout guru Rob Swainson. He was an MNR biologist that was transferred to Nipigon from southern Ontario. Rob did several studies and discovered many things wrong with the Nipigon Brook Trout fishery. Many of the problems were related to the regs. Obviously these fish needed extra protection. But there were other problems. OPG power dams often left the spawned eggs high and dry. So Rob came to a water flow agreement with OPG. The waters would be left high enough for the Brook Trout eggs to hatch and continue on with their legendary lives. Next came the catch and keep regs. Rob instituted an 18" minimum catch and keep size for both the Nipigon River and Lake Nipigon. The idea behind this proposal was that fish that have grown to be 18" would have spawned twice in their lifetime. So their precious genes would live on. Stream and lakeside surveys showed that many 18" fish were being caught and kept. Legal, but an alarming trend. The thought of an 18", 2 fish limit brought out lots of fishermen. Since all of the 10, 12, 14 and 16 inch fish were being released, suddenly there was plenty of 18" fish to be caught. Another alarming trend. The big fish were back in Nipigon and the anglers came out to catch them. After a few years Rob decided to make the Nipigon a true trophy fishery. He'd upp'ed the ante to a minimum 22 inches in the Nipigon River, yet the 18 inch minimum remained the same on the lake. I found this rather strange. Keep in mind that a 22" Nipigon Brook Trout is 5 years old and near the end of it's life. Why would the 18" minimum be good for the river, but not for the lake? Made no sense to me. So I bumped into Rob in the field one day and as we were discussing the state of things, I asked him why there was a 22" mimimum on the river, but not on the lake. His answer floored me. He told me that he pushed very hard for the 22" on the lake as well, but it was blocked by the OFAH. Wow. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What is the OFAH all about if they don't agree with what very well might be the most knowledgeable Brook Trout conservationist on the planet??? Who makes their decisions for them? Are they made from board room in a a concrete and steel high rise in southern Ontario? What do they know about Nipigon Brook Trout management? Nothing, obviously. These are some pretty serious decisions made on their behalf. Did they make this decision because they like to visit Nipigon annually and they like to take a few fish home with them? There is really no other reason why they would oppose this. Absolutely no other reason that I can think of.

Anyways, jump ahead 10 years or so. The Minimum is 22" on both the lake and the river as of a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how it came about. But if this is the kind of thinking that goes on with the OFAH, then I wish to not be a part of them. There's very few strictly Brook Trout fishermen on this message board. But how would you Muskie guys feel if the OFAH implemented a 2 fish, 30" minimum next year? I know. That's just how I felt. It was a giant step backwards.

And I ALWAYS mail back the junk mail envelops (the ones that require no stamps). I believe everytime it scans through Canada Post, the OFAH's postage account (or whoever else sends me junk mail) gets charged per piece.

You talk about money being put to better use and you make a comment like this!

I've been a member for a few years and learned quickly that if you voice your concerns with the OFAH whether it be your zone rep or the appropriate contacts at head office, things happen. It's amazing the complacency of sportsman these days and most choose to wait and criticize an unfavorable decision instead of getting their input in before the decision is made in the first place. This holds true for both the OFAH and the MNR. Those communication lines are open both ways and I really feel that a constant connection with any organization you belong to, makes allot of difference.

Recently I've heard allot of complaints about the OFAH and I repeatedly ask, "did you contact them before coming here and publicly complaining"? The answer is usually "no I'm not a member". If you have issue with the OFAH please call them. It does get settled. I'm guessing that most sportsman who took the time to actually call would join if not already members. You don't need to be a member to voice your concerns, complaints or inquiries.

I work with the OFAH on different projects and I'll use the Dunnville walleye program for example. It's amazing the impact you can have on an organization when you actually volunteer beside them in the field. You gain a respect for each other that can't be found just by paying a membership fee and complaining when you don't agree with a stand or action they took on an issue. I do have issues with some projects and I openly express that within the organization itself and I've seen the effect my opinion has had.

The telemarketing and fund raiser mailings can be stopped by making a call. That was the product of member input on how to fund raise more money in order to deliver programs. I called Robert Pye at head office and was removed from the mailing list and phone contact list. Easy as making the call and it saves the organization postage.

I encourage everyone here, member or not, friend or foe, to call the OFAH be it headquarters or zone rep to discuss any problems you may have with the organization. You may be surprised to hear how some people are using anti OFAH propaganda to forward their own sporting organizations. That in my eyes is the lowest an angler or hunter could sink. Anyone who wishes to start another organization and gain members based its own merits is welcome in my eyes and I may even join but not if their success is based on pointing out another outdoor sporting orgs faults or weaknesses.

Guys make the call and get it off your chest!

http://www.ofah.org

[email protected]

1-705-748-6994

BTW - That castle was built without using a single membership dollar. For more myth busting facts call that number above.

Thanks Dad for forwarding me this thread.

Dan Andrews

I have not been able to find an organization that I was interested in joining that does not automatically force me to join the ofah...I have never seen any of this anti ofah propaganda, as a matter of fact quite the opposite, almost like their afraid of them....like the subject is taboo