are you a member of the OFAH?

bramptonjerry

understand all of those concerns you've raised . i'm a little more naive [by choice ] on this issue.

my paid membership is doing something to better our opportunities to fish\hunt.

is 100% going to this cause ,, ofcourse not ,,,but some is . i donate funds and receive

more than just a great magazine but also the feeling i'm contributing to THE CAUSE .

i like having that sticker on the truck ,says ,ya , i give a ,,,,,hoot.

Dan C not only did OFAH kill the brook trout program up there they also had an instremental finger in Huron and GB

Years ago PAC committee up on GB and Huron all came to a concencus that a 1 fish with a slot was the appropriate course of action to ensure a sustainable fishery for rainbows....All the science, user groups OMNR staff etc agreed on this proposal it was a done deal.

A select few put such opposition on it( yes they were from OFAH ), that we now have a 2 fish limit which does nothing more then reduce exploitation by ohh 5% or nothing in the grand scale....I think I said it somewhere else the bonk and gut mentaility needs to change...sure its a great thing to enjoy a fresh meal of fish, personally nothing is better, but to take those fish from a supressed population, or one thats not capable of being sustainable in my opinion is an act of irrresponsibility as an angler, something OFAH still hasnt wrapped around yet....as for the glass house I have heard many a story on its construction some not very flattering but to go into the specifics without exact proof would be wrong to do.

You talk about money being put to better use and you make a comment like this!

If they're nice enough to mail me, the least I can do is reciprocate! ;) Being a Canadian resident, I figure the best thing to do is to increase Canada Post's revenues (a government corporation) at the expense of the OFAH (a group I'm not in support of). So transferring a very, very small amount of welfare away from OFAH towards public goods may benefit me in a very, very small way, which makes me feel ever so slightly better.

P.S. Thanks for the informative read DanC. I don't doubt it at all.

Edited by fishinggeek

I'm sure OFAH makes bad decisions sometimes.. While I'm not a brookie fisherman I'D LOVE TO .. go up your way DanC to experience this awesome fish one day. It sucks that one of the bad decisions was in your area :( That would bug me as well.

The whole point of an organisation like this is that it's governed by its members. Problem is people don't want to put an effort in. They pay their membership fees and figure that's it. The said organization will just stand up for what I believe. I'm not exempt from this either.

After awhile the org gets so large it just does it's own thing gets choked down in red tape & politics etc. It's up to the member body to support the good descisions of the organisation the best they can and fight the poor ones not allowing the people on top to make desicions supported by the member body!

The voice of the OFAH should be nothing more than a messanger for the voice of the members. If they are allowed to make descisions on their own. Who's fault is it. THE MEMBERS! Myself included!

I joined P3TA just to get those funny stickers they had "fishing hurts" (those ones are on my muskie box) and "fish are our friends not food" (put that one on my deep fryer)

Then I found out I could have gotten them without joining just by using their website :wallbash:

Edited by Cory

The voice of the OFAH should be nothing more than a messanger for the voice of the members. If they are allowed to make descisions on their own. Who's fault is it. THE MEMBERS! Myself included!

You can lump the MNR, Provincial & Federal goverments etc.

If as many people who "pay" memberships to the OFC started writting letters to their member of parliment and the goverment. The MNR would get all the funding needed.

Fact is most people pay and hope that they will do the right thing. If not they grab a soap box stand up and say if I were running that place :blahblah1::blahblah1:

If they're nice enough to mail me, the least I can do is reciprocate! ;) Being a Canadian resident, I figure the best thing to do is to increase Canada Post's revenues (a government corporation) at the expense of the OFAH (a group I'm not in support of). So transferring a very, very small amount of welfare away from OFAH towards public goods may benefit me in a very, very small way, which makes me feel ever so slightly better.

P.S. Thanks for the informative read DanC. I don't doubt it at all.

That may be the greatest reply that I have ever read!

Guest skeeter99

there is a reason they only put 10% of the money into the projects

in canada the law is money collected ie. charity/group etc...

a muinimum of 10% must be put to the orginization or group to be classified as a non-profit orginization, hence no tax and other benefits

All charities run like this cancer society/heart and stroke/march of dimes/unicef you name it, this is how it is.

I actually know a couple that go out collecting everyday (for a non-profit orginization) full time 9 to 5 and lets say they collect $1000 they only remit 10% to the charity and the rest is theirs (this is how it is done) you are fooling yourself to think otherwise, I actually dont know how they can sleep at night basically IMO stealing money.

I do not know of a charity or non-profit orginazition in canada let alone the world that puts in 100% of the money or even 90% to cover other costs

some are better than others as much as 30%

this is why I do not give to any charity, I would rather help a individual and write them a cheque

and also one of my family members quit working at a very large charity in canada because she saw the money was not going to the things it was collected for

1/I never trust personal interest lobby groups...even if they represent my own

they only tell us their side of the story and never explain the other sides (MNR) reasons

2/ I don't really know where the money goes ...how much is spent on advertising and their own salaries and how much of it goes to the cause (see the recent demise of MADD when it was reported that onlt 10% of the money raised went to the cause)...I can't find this information on their website does anyone out there know?

3/I can't seem to go to any site (except this one) without being recruited)

4/I can't join any fishing club without automatically becoming a part of their organization

am I paranoid or does this make sense to you

I agree on the recruiting part the only other site I have found that has an easy going flow of info is www.skunked.ca As for the rest of your message I could not dissagree more.

skeeter Credit River Anglers puts 100% of monies raised into the projects

full financials are avaliable on the internet your right thought not many not for profit groups that rasie ver a million plus do it, we are one of the exceptions but there are others make a wish also runs on a high cash to investment ratio IMO if your donating thats one well worth looking at

All charities run like this cancer society/heart and stroke/march of dimes/unicef you name it, this is how it is.

We used to be business neighbours with one of the charities on your quoted list. The administrators drove Mercedes, the others also drove new cars. When they became sick of the office furniture they would toss it out in the trash and buy new, the old still very usable. In fact the computer I am using right now is on one of those desks they threw out, I have had it now for about 8 years.

Yes It certainly appears that charities are a racket when you look at the facts you have presented. I wonder what the donation givers your friends collected from would think if they knew the money was being pocketed? So you are saying then too that they keep 90%, turn in 10% and the charity pockets 90% of the 10% they turned over? WOW :blink:

The whole point of an organisation like this is that it's governed by its members. Problem is people don't want to put an effort in. They pay their membership fees and figure that's it. The said organization will just stand up for what I believe. I'm not exempt from this either.

After awhile the org gets so large it just does it's own thing gets choked down in red tape & politics etc. It's up to the member body to support the good descisions of the organisation the best they can and fight the poor ones not allowing the people on top to make desicions supported by the member body!

Well said Greg. .

I joined P3TA just to get those funny stickers they had "fishing hurts" (those ones are on my muskie box) and "fish are our friends not food" (put that one on my deep fryer)

Then I found out I could have gotten them without joining just by using their website :wallbash:

Cory that's classic :thumbsup_anim:

I've been a member for 3 years and got Corey (Mistyjr) a junior membership as well. Are they perfect...no but it's better than nothing.

I also got a call about a week ago from a guy calling on their behalf who obviously didn't know much about their goings on. Told him that since I'm gonna be out of a job in 6 months I probably can't contribute much more other than my membership fees. After telling him a couple of times it finally sunk in :wallbash:

I understand the need for funding but if they start on telephone soliciting, it will make me rethink renenwing my membership.