Gas Prices

Headhunter

With the price of gas continuing to rise, with rumours of gas hitting $1.40 /ltr by the summer, what if any effect with this have on your fishin plans for the summer?

We've had this question before, but given that it is a slow time of year and I never really was a Chuck Norris fan, I thought I'd pose this question!

HH

The effect is that I'll make sure I buy gas at local stations, rather than at marinas.

This is the first spring/summer with the boat, so I have nothing to compare it to...I just hope to be able to use it more than a few times this year!

makes no differance to me at all, I am gonna try and get out as much maybe more than last year,I run from Pointe au Baril-damm near Killarney any givin weekend fishing different spots every weekend,I love the bay and being on it gas prices are not slowin me down

I plan to catch more to keep my mind off the gas prices.

To be honest, the boat gas doesn't bother me as much as the truck gas consumption. I'll probably be towing a little more often with my van this year which will save me about $20 per round trip to LSC or Lake Ontario.

I may also consider more two day trips instead of running back home and out again the next day.

-Brian

I'll be fishing with Cliff in his boat and leaving mine at home. LOL! Probably won't change things too much as far as fishing plans go. I am looking around for a smaller car for commuting to work though. I figure I'm spending about $800 a month in gas now as it is and it would be nice to get that down a bit. Commuting in a full size truck isn't the easiest on the wallet.

I am feeling the pinch and I have a small car. I feel sorry for those driving tanks.

Gas prices today in Midland > Noco > $1.119 and SuperStore > $1.10.7

Prices in Penetang have to be higher because they usually are higher.

Tom

If gas price is a problem get back to basics: aluminum boat with 10 - 25 hp and trailer. Easy to tow with most cars and easy on gas. That is what I have and am going fishing.

your right that would work nice enough,I grew up with and had those type of boats since I was 8,after being in the bigger boats theres no looking back,after coming out of the gun barrels last July from the Bustard Iliands and there where 10 ft waves or better il stick to my bigger boat,where im running out of Georgain Bay alot of times theres no shelter

Nope, it won't be affecting any of my plans, I'll still be heading to Lakair on Nippising a couple times this year, plus my usual trip to the Ottawa River, and then as always, I'll be spending most of my time travelling all over the Kawarthas from early May till November.

I don't drink or smoke, and my wife won't allow me to chase loose women, so I may as well spend my money on gas for fish'n. :Gonefishing:

I don't drink or smoke, and my wife won't allow me to chase loose women, so I may as well spend my money on gas for fish'n. :Gonefishing:

HAHAHA Lew ! You sure Diane isn't related to Leah somehow?

Price of gas... Joe you know my answer to that. It's cheaper now than it was in 2005's summer at $1.37 Temagami Shell and $1.52 Marina. Not gonna slow my fishing down one bit.... but I might put a tip jar in the boat ! That should go a long way.... :rolleyes:

25hp Honda four stroke, so it won't effect my boating/fishing time at all, just may not travel so far to fish, fish closer to home. Did a 40km trip last year with my boat and only used a quarter tank.

well I live 2 blocks from lake erie...but like to travel to fishing spots...so I guess I will be staying close to home for most of the summer. Wanted to try my kayak out up north near bancroft but it would cost around $200 in gas and thats out of the question for sure.

I've been driving since the early 60's and every year, gas prices are at an all time high. That's how it works. Some people don't care that much about gas prices but the ones who do care MIGHT decide to make shorter trips. All this will do is redistribute the client base for rental cottages, camp sites and lodges. People in North Bay might hit Timmins instead of Thunder Bay..people in Ottawa will hit Quinte instead of Manitoulin etc...

I don't like to see the price of gas going up either but ever since I've been driving, it's never gone down.

Addendum: I've been working hard most of my life, as most of you have. I'd hate like hell to think that some oil company or anybody else is going to dictate whether I go fishing or not this year.

Its funny, the first thing people are going to do when gas prices hit record levels is to re-evaluate every trip in the car, every litre burned.

you might find you can better manage gas consumption by cutting down on the amount of times you drive your car. Im looking forward to these high gas prices... it might mean a little bit cleaner air for all of us.

As Irishfield told us GAS IS CHEAPER than the summer of 05 so I don't know what everyone is whining about.... Everybody is much better off financially now than then, because we have the mighty Tories those fiscally prudent managers looking after us with all their tax cuts, and even minimum wage as increased to 8.75.....

On a serious note I will be sure that I invite some buddies when I go this year to help share the costs. Who am I kidding no I won't bother doing that because when I want to go I will just GO. Besides everybody knows if it ain't thunder and lighting I am at one lake or another fishing on Sundays..... all they have to do is call Saturday night and they are invited till the car is full.

Edited by Canuck2fan