Weekend @ Bernies

Bernie

This report is a co-operation between all of us, Headhunter, Corey, Bernie and Gerritt.

Wow... the boys and I are up here having a blast wishing tomorrow never arrives...

Friday upon arrival we were greeted by a smiling Bernie at Wades landing it was a bit brisk and we were anxious to get out! I was a little hesitant in driving my truck out (First time) My worries were unfounded.

This was only a pre-cursor to the weather on its way, heading outside in an outhouse in -26 weather is a humbling experience ;)

Yes Gerritt was right about the weather to come.....it sucked. Mid-February and these kind of temperatures. But the company was great and more than made up for the poor fishing weather. Had the pleasure to met Headhunter (Joe) for the first time and he is a terrific fellow. Funny and entertaining, but one of his best attributes is his cooking skills. Wow did we eat well. The guys brought up food fit for royalty.We did end up with enough fish for a dinner snack too.

It has been a weekend like no other. Good people, good times. From -26 all the way through +3 we gave the fishing a go. Out in the middle of the pack we got some good walleye and then off the beaten trail we got more. Eating like kings after a day of fishing is the icing on the cake. From the moose stew to Gerritt`s meatballs like no other (remember Rob Hyatts) to the grilled striploin steaks with shrimp and Heathunters wrapped asparagus, the food was amazing.

What better escape from the steel and concrete jungles we live and work in than a weekend at Bernies.

Headhunter here, apparently at this point in the night, I`m may have been over served! i can`t tell you how many time I`ve laughed, since I met both Gerritt and Corey in the parking lot in Vaughn. I really did`t notice that the fishing was tough, a great time!

Feb08016.jpg

Feb08018.jpg

Feb08020.jpg

Feb08023.jpg

Feb08026.jpg

Feb08027.jpg

Feb08029.jpg

Feb08030.jpg

Feb08032.jpg

Signing off,

The Boys.

Wayne... Quite the loser indeed! LOL.... funniest picture ever...

To add to this thread... today was pretty interesting.... Saturday we have -26c Sunday +3 or so... then rain rain and more rain.... it was interesting driving to the landing from the cottage through 6" or water on top of the ice....

the wipers got a work out on the F150! LOL..... ohhh the free truckwash was nice too.

G

Why are you the only one holdin a fish in the pics? ;)

Well I mentioned to the guys "dont worry about tackle, I have it covered". But hey they have to try their stuff out. And maybe...just maybe they might show me something that works. But not this time. Ha!

But it's all good as the fish bite was way off around here and I think we did well all things considered.

Yes... Bernie's old school fishing gear definately schooled us... I did however bring up the rear (as usual) with the last walleye caught. Gerritt and I decided to run straight out from the cottage into the channel and try to get a meal of perch and within 3 minutes of drilling the first hole out comes a little eater sized walleye. I thought for sure we had hit gold, but in my usual fashion we ended up with the 1 walleye and a bunch of worm infested perch... sucked.

As Gerritt and I were talking on the last leg home... even if we didn't get out fishing, being at Bernie's is like no other. There were sooo many laughs, the biggest one being shown a picture of a loser posing beside a nice motor! :)

It was all good, wouldn't trade it for anything. Wish we could have brought Bill with us, but I am sure he's enjoying soaking up the rays in the sunshine state.

cd.

Ok... my time for thanks!

Bernie, I can't thank you enough for allowing me and the boys up to your place this weekend. We may not have caught many fish, but we sure laughed a lot! I think we ate pretty well as well! You've got a little piece of God's country up there, it sure was hard to come back to the cesspool that is the big smoke! Thanks doesn't begin to cover it!

Gerritt... for inviting me along on this trip, thanks only scrapes the surface. It was an awesome time, good food, good laughs and good folks! I thanks you and hope you continue to enjoy the "Lemon Drops". Would be a nice way to spend a warm summer day, sitting around my pool, watchin our kids swim and tossin back a couple of lemon drops... my thanks will never truly speak, for my feelings!

Cory... thanks for going out Saturday morning, using your "attributes" (read "aura-borea-anus) and taking the frost off the seat on the "pooper"! -27 degrees can sure make a man think long and hard, before making the trip! LOL

For those who have not had the pleasure of meeting Bernie... go out of your way to do it! You won't regret it!

HH

Thanks for the reply's folks.

Cliff, yahoos is about the right way to describe them. Ha ha. But it sure made for some good fun!

Headhunter. You are welcome here anytime.

Spiel, Hopefully next time you are able to come up.

Oldphart, that green goop was FANTASTIC!mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

Ben, if all ice fishing weekends were like this past one I could probably get back into it. The weather messed us up pretty bad but it's not always like that. The shack we used was a friend of mines and he was gracious enough to let us use it. I would build one a little larger to make it a bit more comfortable............ It was a little small for us skinny guys. :whistling:

Edited by Bernie