Ice Fishing at its Best

mbac31

Finally got out for some ice fishing with a good bud of mine and fellow OFNer jeffw. I have not been able to get out lately due to a broken hand and this was a treat. Met at the Rotten Ronnies on #12 in Beaverton and off we went to Trombleys for minnows and then to the lake. We got on the water around 7:15 am to alot of slush and a new skim of snow. People please cover those dam 12 " gas auger holes. My dumbass fell into one and thank god for the clam suit and the irish setter boots that I didnt get wet. We had an awesome day with a few nice eyes landed and quite a few lost at the hole. I need to get a bigger auger, <_< . We lost some nice ones but still managed to catch a few keepers and some nice perch. Guys the ice is thick (12-14 ") with around 5-6 " of sluch. Started to freeze over good when we left a little while ago. There was alot of people on the ice today as you can tell by the pic. The bite was steady most of the day though. 24 ft of water seemed to be the majic depth today.

TackleandGearforEbaylist133.jpg

jeffw with one of his fish

TackleandGearforEbaylist127.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist129.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist128.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist141.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist123.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist126.jpg

TackleandGearforEbaylist139.jpg

Great report and pics!!! Beauty fish too!!! :thumbsup_anim:

What were they hittin'?

They were hitting a pink/orange 1/4 oz HILDEBRANDT THINGAMA JIG. I have found these to be awesome for walleye lately. Modified to hold a single hook instead of the treble. Walleye love these things.

Nice catch, do i have to walk a long way or I just park my car and how far I have to walk, I have bad back and cannot walk too far,

and how deep is the water . I been in Orilla and fish in downtown but where is lake st john,

I want a general location and I am not asking for good spot.

Thanks in advance

I get my water tested twice a year from my cottage and last year we had the water from lake St John tested and you would be surprised how clean the water is now. Domtar is not there anymore, its called Stephan now and its just soap. Most people dont have that much luck there. That lake is like a minature rice lake.

Lake St. John can be accessed from off of Rama Rd. Or off of Airport rd.

The factory located on the lake is in fact a Soap Plant.

I grew up fishing St.John and have spent alot of memorable time there. Those walters are Beauties!

Glad you had a good outing!

I should stop by and see if my grandparents property still looks the same.... (they were located directly across from the factory. There were 3 small cabins on the property)

G

I thought they werent good to eat because of the chemical plant.

Each to their own

Some nice size eyes for what looks like a busy lake.

Walleye aren't often tested for chemicals. Being a coarse fish they don't tend to retain them in their flesh. (unlike fatty fish such as trout or salmon)

Mercury on the other hand....

Thanks for posting the report smalliefisher. I ate one last night and they tasted just as good as the one's out of Sturgeon. Misfish we were aloud 1 fish each over 18 and there was two of us fishing with only two taken home so in other words we weren't poaching.

Cheers Jeff

Some FYI,Did you know there is a slot size there now?

Nice fish

Thanks,

Yes I'm aware there is a slot size there now. Its about time. However there are not alot of walleye taken out of that lake each year. Thats my 3rd walleye taken home from that lake in 16 years. I only keep them if one of my friends wants one. I hate the taste of them. Spoiled from eating saltwater fish from the east coast I guess, have not been able to get hooked on their taste. Most fish here taste like bog. LOL. Except for crappie and Smallmouth. :D

Spoiled from eating saltwater fish

my sentiments exactly. Freshwater fish taste pretty much like dirt to me. Even walleyes get a "get out of jail free" card in my boat! Nice walleye's by the way out of St. John. I was also unaware there was a slot there...but when you don't keep any fish its not really on your mind!