Wood Boat Assembly Line

Bernie

They mostly build them for tourist outfitters and the build from canoes to 21 footers.

We have a 18 footer that the bottom was fiberglassed and is as old as me. Im almost 50. Its been in the water every summer.We use it for trolling on Hunters Bay in Nipissing and hauling stuff to the cottage.

Sweet looking boats Nipissing. :thumbsup_anim: I have owned 2 Geisler boats that were handmade in Powassen buy the Geisler family..There is no better rough water boat that travels lake Nipissing..

After building them since 1928 they have it down pat now. One of my uncles is 85 and still works on them 8 to 5 every day.

Rick, im bettin money that the boats at lakair are "geisler" boats..They are the jewels of Lake Nipissing!!

Awesone pics nipissing ;)

Is that whitetail head with the massive non typical rack still hanging in the office there? I remember counting the points on it once (or trying to) but I don't remember how many there were. That was 30 some years ago. I too had one of those boats when I lived in Port Loring.

Aluminum & fiberglass are nice, but they don't even come close to the style and craftmanship of the cedarstrip.

Really nice to see a few companies continuing the history and tradition of them.

Thanks for posting those pictures Nippising

:rolleyes: Man that brings back Memories for me

my family is from Cape Sable Island Nova Scotia

My grandfather was the last of the Wooden Cape Island builders

I spent many a day in my youth setting nails and helping to bend boards from the steamers and all sorts of things to keep a young lad occupied

there are still templates in the barn

VERY NICE WORK

NICE TO SEE CRAFTSMEN STILL EXIST IN THE COPY AGE :worthy:

Cheers

Peter

Hello everyone. Glad you enjoyed the pics. My Grandfather started building in the late 20s a boat for himself to fish in. His buddy wanted one too. So he built another one. His buddy had an outboard motor that had broken. So he traded the boat for the broken outboard. He fixed the motor. More people came along and wanted a boat. And so it started. My father and his 3 brothers began working when they were teenagers. My dad started a service shop for the outboards back in 1972 and it snowballed into a thriving business as well. Lots of history that I could go on and on with but you are all probably bored by now. The deer antlers remain in the office by the way. And I do believe Lakair has some of the boats. B. Giesler & Sons is the original name of the company. I presently operate an automotive repair shop in our community. Take care.....Bernie G

Nice looking boats.

Craft back in craftmanship!

The first time I went to Rice Lake back in the 70's there was a place called Whispering Pines (still there to) that had the cedarstrip boats and I thought they were awesome, absolutely beautiful boats.

When I was a small child we used to go to upstate New York for vacations and remember sitting on the dock outside the boat house and stared at a old Chris Craft that was gorgeous, thinking to myself one day when I grow up.......well still waiting to grow up :D

Whopper

wow nipissing those pics are great thats an amazing piece of work ,and craftsmanship,that sure takes talent ,my grandfather had one to i do remember going fishing in it when i was a young kid,he also had a cedar strip canoe that i used to paddle it ,and it weighed a ton, :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: thats great that there are people still building those wonderful old boats,i bet they are very expensive too ...how much are they????????? :unsure:

hi fishindevil. Im not real sure what they ask for the boats.It depends on how you want it built(deck size,with or with out well etc) but they are surprisingly inexpensive. Very low overhead and manufacturing costs make them very reasonable. If you are ever in the area you should stop in and check out the factory. Its like going back in time 60 years. :santa:

Edited by Nipissing