Search underway for two missing snowmobilers

Gerritt

Search underway for two missing snowmobilers

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:22 AM

By: Charlene Close

A search is underway for two snowmobilers at the south end of Lake Simcoe.

Stephen Docherty, 43, and 40-year-old William Cameron set out at about 12:30 p.m. on New Year's Day towards the lake.

York Regional Police said the two men from the Town of Georgina are experienced snowmobilers, who were dressed appropriately for the weather.

The police marine unit and helicopter are being used in the search. Police are hoping someone in the area has seen them.

Docherty has been described as six-feet four-inches tall, about 230 pounds, wearing a blue and white Yamaha jacket, with reflective decals on the arms.

Cameron, who is six-feet-one and 210 pounds, wore a black Ski-Doo jacket with yellow on the arms.

Yes, I just saw the news, very sad. Anyone know exactly where it was, I know Virginia Beach area, but whereabouts on the lake. I want to make sure I stay away from that area for sure as we were considering going out to VB this weekend.

Joey

Joey, I heard a short snip of the report as I was having dinner and heard it was just Northeast of Georgina Island. Lew posted last week and mentioned "think of the rescuers" also. No fish or and outing is worth putting your life in danger and leaving behind a family. I have come close (in the fog and snow) and believe me it's scary . . Be very careful when heading out.

Very sad indeed. Sorry for the families involved.

A friend stopped by my shop today and told me he went through with his ATV on Nipissing today. He is an experienced guy on the lake too. Goes to show you really need to be cautious. Areas on Nipissing that had snow drifts and high current flow areas still only have a couple inches of ice.