Old Boats

bpsbassman

Okay so with my last post, Unplanned Purchase everybody got me thinking about my old boats.

There was a similar thread on the old board, but I think it was about people's current boats.

A lot of people on this board have awesome boats, but we all started somewhere, and those old 12 foot tinnies were just as exciting to get as the newer, bigger ones later on.

Let's see everybody's older boats.

I'll start.

This is my original HawgBuster 1 (that was about the time of Ghostbusters and you can see the symbol still on the side of the boat). I got this boat used over 25 years ago. I sold it to a buddy who still has it to this day. This picture was actually taken this summer during bass opening weekend. I can remember one time it had a leak so bad that you would be constantly bailing. We plugged the keel up with a few tubes of silicone and it never leaked after that.

2006_0625_141707AA.jpg

HawgBuster 2 came along sometime around 1988. My son Paul (Ned Devine) worked at Cambell's Marina in Jordan Harbour and we got a good price on it. It was a basic 14 footer with three boat seats. We added flooring, a casting platform and two boat seats that raised up on a scissor like device (that would chop your hand in two if it ever fell on you). We ran it for a couple of years with a 9.9 and then moved up to a used 25 Johnson. It would do 30 mph and was a great fishing boat. I hated to part with it.

budme.jpg

And then of course HawgBuster 3 that my son Terry (Tracker Terry) and I bought off of E-Bay from a guy in Texas in November 2003. Its been a fabulous boat and has served us well for the last 3 years.

8ab98949.jpg

And I should throw in a shot of my Dad's homemade boat from the forties.

RUMBUCKET2.jpg

Show us your oldies folks.

Well last yr i had two boats in my back yard but you cannot make them out very well on the pics One my son brought and the other i picked up at a yard sale for $250 with trailor.....lol...

which was a 16ft tri hull......It came with down riggers, fish finder a radio. A lady wanted it out of her back yard her husband had passed and just wanted rid of it. My eldest boy brought himself a 1960's Glastron.....lol....He kept that for a yr then sold it. That boat sure did get alot of attention down at the marina and it was bright yellow....lol

Anyway mid spring i decided to sell the tri hull it was just to big for what i wanted. So i sold it and brought this. My new baby and even thought i am looking for something a little bigger and deeper not sure i will ever sell this boat.

my_boys_in_the_glastron.jpg

my_eldest_boy_with_his_1st_boat..jpg

my_new_baby.jpg

Sorry no photo, but me first fishin' boat was a well used 62 sangstercraft.

I got it for free put on an old old old johnson sea horse 18.

I don't know how many times me and friends road around Orr Lake.

We never locked it up. just beached her and tied to a tree.

Oh the good old days.

CX

Here's the 1st boat our family owned, a 15' cedarstrip that my Dad bought about 1955 and the boat I learned how to fish from. It had a 25 HP Johnson SeaHorse motor that was considered a darned big motor back in the day.

That's my Dad back in the 50's loading it up for a fish'n trip somewhere and I'm sure I wasn't too far away getting my gear together too ;)

Cnv1691.jpg

This one is a 14' Starcraft tiller that I owned a few years back and that's my Son and me pickeral fishing on The Bay of Quinte.

Actually, it's 2 years tomorrow that my Son died and this picture has always meant alot to me, infact it's one of my favorites of him & I together..........nice memories.

Cnv1689.jpg

Lew,

Your pictures didn't come out on my PC, but I think I know the one with your boy. If its the one I'm thinking of, its clear in my mind.

I'll be thinking of you, Diane and Sherri tomorrow. Time passes so quickly. Remember all us OFNers are here and thinking of you.

My first was an old 14' tinny with a 15 hp Sears on the back, bought boat motor, and trailer for about $300 I think back around the mid 80's got the boat to the lake and launched it.. fired up the motor only to find out there was no forward gear :angry: , so I headed up river with the trolling motor until it started to get weak and then drift fished back down to the launch... the hull was painted with some kind of biege house paint to try and stop the leaks... didn't work... that was the "wettest" boat I ever owned, used to have to fire up the old 18 horse Johnson afriend lent me and pull the plug about every hour to get all the water drained out of it for another hour of fishin'. Sold that one and bought an '88 Lowe 16' new at the boat show, used it 'til I got married in '95 and sold it. Then bought my Tracker in '98 and that wife divorced me because of it... I got the better end of that deal! ;):lol::w00t::w00t: Not willing to part with this one yet (boat OR wife), but when I do.. I think it'll be for a Boston Whaler I can use on the lake and in the Gulf of Mexico, and the best part about that is... I think I can get this wife to pay for half of it!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Glen

Bought this tri-hull 14'er in 1988 and just traded it in 2002. It came with a 20hp Mariner (never had one problem with the motor in 14yrs). First two pics show the original boat then with the rear deck I built.

BOAT02.JPGBOAT01.JPG

I had to make a steel bracket to mount the MinnKota and the Eagle 7200. Another before and after.

BOAT03.JPGBOAT05.JPG

1995 pic of my better half at Bon Echo (Mazinaw Lake)

CATHEY06.JPG

At a Rideau River launch and stored for the winter.

Boat_at_Rideau_Launch.jpgBOATWINT.JPG

I've only owned two boats. Going to have to dig out the scanner for my first. it was a used 1970 15.5' Bassmaster bass boat that was called the "Green Machine". The name came about for two reasons, first it was the ugliest shade of green and second when the first ATM's came out the local bank called them green machines, so that is where all my spare money went. Had a lot of good times in that boat and my son cried and was mad at me for quite awhile for selling that one.

My present boat "Lil' Red" was bought to accomodate our family at the time and has served it purpose well. Hopefully in a couple years I will be able to upgrade to a more fisher friendly boat. Current boat is eleven years old.

med_gallery_69_103_17726.jpg

My first boat was a Tempest Tri-Hull... big mistake. It needed a lot of work and I spent a lot of money on it including a rebuilt 85 Merc. The end result was satisfying but it wasn't the right boat for me. I eventually moved to London and the boat sat in the driveway for 2 years except for a couple of excursions.

InsideBoatHullOld.jpg

LevelingBoatFloor.jpg

NewBoatFloor.jpg

BoatTop.jpg

BoatInterior.jpg

BoatRight.jpg

I decided to trade the boat for this Goldwing + cash

BikeLeftSide.jpg

I got board with the bike and sold it to my neighbour when my fathar called me and asked if I wanted to buy his Cherokee. I hadn't seen it for a while and we made a deal over the phone. Hmmm, maybe I should have had a look at it first...

1992_cherokee_original.jpg

After doing the body, brakes, engine, floors, suspension, rims and tires and ended up with this...

Dsc02053.jpg

And now that I am bored with the Jeep, I am in negotiations to purchase this 18' Starcraft CC...

P1010034.jpg

The moral of the story: I should have bought a brand new Lund 10 years ago... I would have saved a bundle!!

Edited by SlowPoke

Had a old 12ft at the cottage. Was out and about with a bud and we found a mid70's 7.5 merc at a beauty deal. Was asked if we split the cost of the motor could he fix up the boat and use it when he was at the cottage.

BlackP2.jpg

A little TLC.

BlackP3.jpg

a DAB of paint.

BlackP.jpg

Now she be the BLACK PEARL... :D

Edited by b2kptbo

File0004.jpgBought this Cris-Craft about ten years ago.It was in storage since 1959.It was like new. It had 2 1957 Johnson 35s that looked like they just came out of the box. I had it on the water (and in the sunshine) for two weeks and there wasnt a bit of varnish left on it. It wasnt much to fish out of but it sure was nice on on rough days. Kinda wish I still had it.

Bought my first boat when we came to Canada in the 70's at Sears on Lawrence Ave in Toronto. It was purchased during a January sale. Price for the 12 ft. car topper $235 delivered to Acton. Pushed it with a Sears Ted Williams 7.5hp. motor ( made by eska ) When we moved to Forest in the 80's I traded it in on a Thundercraft 14 with a 75 Mercury. My wife didn't like the Thundercraft said it was to fast and I should get another smaller boat so the following spring when I went to the dealer he had two used choices, a Springbock and my old Sears ( which was slightly deeper and much wider.) When I inquired "how much" the answer was $500, so I now had my old boat back at more than double the new price and said it would never be sold again. Here's a picture of the old beauty from 2003 at Silvr'y Moon Lodge.

silmoon03-16.jpg

Keram that is awesome what you did with the boat. Can i ask how wide it is? Mine is a 14ft tinny. But i am not sure it is as wide as yours....Would love to do that to my boat but not sure it has enough depth and width to it.