Hard to Believe...

Gerritt

It is hard to believe that tomorrow marks the 5th anniversary of my sons passing.... Where has the time gone? There has not been a single day/hour I have not thought of him.. and what he might have become... he would be 7 years old, in school, making friends, asking mom and dad to help him with his homework, causing a general raucous, and would no doubt be playing hockey... We would have liked to have experianced this with him.. but God needed him a little more...

I reflect upon that time in my life alot.. and what it meant/means to me... and one thing keeps popping into my head... the amazing people here and how you all banded together to help a young family out... I thank everyone of you from the bottom of my heart, I honestly dont know how we did it without you...

I have been a mess for the past couple of days knowing that this was coming... (tomorrow and fathers day really seem to get to me..)

Alot of members here remember seeing pictures of my son, and remember when I told them about the worst day in my life..

I just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow marks 5 years... man our life on this earth is short...

Hug your family, Say your prayers and most of all Love..

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

Awww Gerritt, I can't even begin to imagine what you feel like after a tragedy like that happening. I remember it happened just before I joined this board and we talked about it after. It still saddens my heart to think about it and every time I hear of a food poisoning or recall of food I think about your little boy. It just goes to show you that it could happen to anyone and how very fragile life really is.

My thoughts and prayers are with you tomorrow bud. You know I'm here if you ever need me.

Joey

Gerritt, I wasn't around here 5 years ago but seeing your reports now of you and your son fishing or around the house show me what incredible Dad you are. The pride that shows in your pics of your little man is incredible.

You are right, be thankful for what you have and truly appreciate it every moment. Hang in there and as best you can tomorrow be strong and remember all the good times with your son.

Edited by steve_paul

I remember that day and those pictures very well Gerritt, and I also remember the outpouring of love & support from the members of this board in the days that followed.

There is now, and always has been, a wonderful group of people that make up OFC.

Wow Gerritt. We knew that you had lost your son, but we weren't around this board at the time. We cant imagine what you and your family went through. We will take your advice though...and hug our family LOTS.

You are a great dad Gerritt, and what you went through serves as a reminder that every single day is precious, and to never take anything for granted.

You will be in our thoughts.

Cliff and Carole

That was one of the days that taught me, why we love!!! Our children teach us why we should love our friends and our family. As many people have told me over the years, you don't know what love is until you have them. We are glad you pulled through that one, I know it was a real bad time. You have a beauty of a boy and a lovely wife to celebrate with tomorrow. Life is precious Gerr, Celebrate, even in sadness; know that short life (which we all have) needs to be celebrated.

Be strong tomorow, Dude. Your boy is in good hands up there.

Edited by Pigeonfisher

Gerritt,

I didn't have the privilege of knowing you or your family at the time of your tragic loss, however, I have come to know you in recent years not only through this board but through OFC meet and greets either on the ice or at Lakair.

I have a young grandson who has just turned 7 and is doing all of the 7 year old stuff including rep hockey. I can not imagine my life without him.

It must be terribly difficult with the anniversary of his passing tomorrow. If there is anything that we can do to make things a little more bearable...........well, you know.

Losses of loved ones makes one realize how fragile we really are and how short our brief time on this earth really is.

Love the ones you are with.......................

Remember it well Gerrit, I actually smile every time I see a post of yours. Knowing of what you been through, I see your courage and strength to go on, every time I see your name. God bless you and yours, it has touched many hearts, many even that you may never know. I believe I have even been a better father since then.

Edited by Deano

I wasn't around at the time but reading this post really touched home. I am sorry that something like this happened to your family but i am sure god had a reason although it maybe though to believe it is true. I am sure your son loves you and thinks about you as well. One day your family will join together again. Until that day remember him live life be happy although it maybe hard and one day you will all be together. Once again i am sorry this had to happen your son will be in my prayers. Take care be strong.

I think of you, Rebecca & that day often Gerritt

that was the 1st day that I logged on to the OFC board to have a little look around. I then realized that this site was a little bit deeper then "just a fishing board".

It also reminds me of how nearly 3 1/2 yrs ago, that my family lost or only daughter/sister at the age of 17 in a trgic auto-accident. Many of us here have lost some family memebers earlier then planned & feel the same pain.

I'll be thinking of you tommorow bud.

Found this board just after that occurred and folks were still mentioning it.

An unimaginable tragedy. Lost a mother and sister suddenly to accidents before that

and could have used the extra support this board gave you.

As a father of a young child, my heart goes out to you.

Godspeed,

ehg

Gerritt I'm speechless....I was not aware that you lost your son and I am feeling terrible and have a pain in my heart for you. I hugged our boys good night tonight as I do each night only tonight I looked at them and felt that I would be devastated if I lost one of them and now I know how you are feeling.

Hang in there and I will be thinking of you and praying for your family.

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam