Holy crap that was close...

bigfish1965

I was on my way home from work tonight. I was driving on Hwy 20 coming up to the Welland Canal. As I approached the big 'S' bend that forms the lead-up to the bridge, I noticed some headlights erratically moving in my side view mirror.

I saw a car approaching me from behind at a ridiculous speed and he was moving out to pass me. I look up to see a car coming toward us and I think the guy behind me won't be able to see him because of the bend. I moved a bit to the left to block the guys attempt to pass me so as to try and avoid the impending head-on collision.

Then I notice about 100 meters back about 12 police cars going like a bat out of hell. I decided that my only course of action was to get off the road as quick as I could to give more room to the guy being chased. I was hoping that he would see me brake hard and right and be able to avoid the collision with the oncoming car. So my brakes are locked up, the car coming the other way now sees whats going on, he brakes hard right and the guy the police are after follows me hard and right but without braking.

He entered the S bend with his rear tires hooked off the asphalt and on the shoulder gravel. He over corrected, got sideways, slid across the street and sideways into the cable-style guard rail.

By now there are cops all braking and one car followed the chasee's car as it slid into the ditch and pinned the drivers side door close. I had no idea we even had this many police cars around. They were everywhere. I was still trying to calm down ( I was convinced the head-on was going to happen...still don't know how it didn't) and then realized I was trapped into the scene.

So I watched as about 10 officers surrounded the car all the time yelling 'Police! Hands on the Wheel!" The lights from the cruisers were too bright for me to see much, but I could here everything perfectly as it was only about 20 feet away from me. I heard a dog, I heard guns being unholstered....I heard the driver screaming...guess he got hurt when he wrecked. Too bad. Almost killed whoever was in that other car.

The police were amazingly professional about it all. They got the guy out of the car, he was obviously hurt bad, and they put him into a cruiser and sped off to the hospital.

While talking to the police they told me there was a spike belt awaiting him on the other side of the bridge and that they had chased the guy for quite a distance.

Still don't know why he was running from the cops.

The Sergeant told me to expect a call from the SIU because the driver was injured so then it becomes a whole big thing.

The weird thing was that the guy that almost got hit head on saw all the police cars and buggered off.

All this happened in just a few seconds but in the midst of it all it seemed like a lot longer than that. Its amazing how fast your brain can go when you need it to.

Just glad no innocent bystanders or officers were hurt...as for the driver...just desserts. Did you really think you were going to outrun the entire police force??

Glad you came out of that ok..Damn idiots! Risking everybody's lives..He'll probably get an extra month in jail for all that dangerous driving..

The weird thing was that the guy that almost got hit head on saw all the police cars and buggered off.

He was probably drinking!!

That is nuts... glad your ok bud...

Tj has to deal with people driving 15 under.. RUSHING to KFC for Toonie Tuesday @ KFC... only in Sturgeon Falls!

ok ok ok should redact that... that highway he lives on... some of them are bloody maniacs!

glad to hear no one was hurt. must've been quite an adrenaline rush to have front row tickets to that "event". but on a side note, i've always kinda wondered about that, why is there 12 cruisers following one car... why not just 6? whats the real difference in the end? 6 cops swarming the idiots car or 24 cops swarming the idiots car? i'm not gonna lie, if i was a cop there's no way i'd wanna miss out on that action..

glad to hear no one was hurt. must've been quite an adrenaline rush to have front row tickets to that "event". i'm not gonna lie, if i was a cop there's no way i'd wanna miss out on that action..

Glad to hear that you are okay Rick, the bad guy got caught and most importance that no one got hurt expect for the idiot. I would have crap myself if I was stuck in the middle and seen this coming.