Muskie Report - Fishnsled got a beauty!!!

ccmtcanada

This was a weekend that Bly and I have been looking forward to for quite a while. Hunting muskie is something that we cant really do effectively from shore, so when fishnsled invited us along, we jumped at the chance!

Originally, we were going to head to Sturgeon Lake, but with the 50km/h winds forecasted, he wisely switched up to a smaller Kawartha Lake. Bly and I awoke at 4:30am so we could get ready to be at his place by 5:30. There were NO winds to speak of at this time of the morning. Maybe...just maybe the weather forecasters would be wrong. We arrived at fishnsled's place on time and after a quick trip to the local Country Style, we were on the road. As the sun was rising, we could see the wind in the trees getting stronger and stonger. Damn...that wind forecast was accurate! Fishnsled said that maybe, just maybe the winds would stir up the lake a bit and put the fish on the feed since they have been VERY hard to get over the past week in that area.

We arrived at the boat launch...took a look out and saw whitecaps as far as the eyes could see. Hmmm....do we try it? We decided to head out, but if it got any worse, we'd get off the water. As fishnsled was getting the boat ready, I saw these guys looking down at us....Hmmm...was it an omen? Were the thinking it's a dumb idea to head out? At least they were not buzzards....LOL.

01birds.jpg

Ok...so we hit the water and begin our trek across the lake. Here's a shot of the sun trying to peak through the clouds as we headed to our first spot to troll.

02cloudssunshine.jpg

We started off trolling, but none of us had any kind of action...except for picking up some weeds and our lines crossing at times, there was no need to reel in our lines. We headed to another spot to try casting and retrieving for them. The last time we went muskie fishing with fishnsled, all we caught was bass...I was hoping to change that this time and wouldn't you know it, I land the first fish of the day....a nice Walleye....LOL. It hit a rather large spinnerbait.

03walleye.jpg

We continued this for a little while and we had a few follows...man, the anticipation when seeing that is incredible! Fishnsled suddenly says "Hey guys...come look at this!!". We see a nice sized muskie following his lure. He begins the the figure 8 boatside...and it dives down and turns away. Oh well...that was pretty cool to see. Fishnsled sees which way it goes and casts out there right away. As he begins his retrieve he gets a monster hit....he sets the hook and.....nothing. He hangs his head...says an expletive or two, but keeps retrieving. Suddenly it hits the lure again, he sets the hook and this time and it's game on!

The fish is a spunky one and tries to get away...lots of splashes, but fishnsled expertly handles this fish. Here's a few shots of the fight and landing.

04muskie1.jpg

05muskie2.jpg

06muskie3.jpg

We finally get it in the cradle and the measurements begin. It's an impressive fish at 45" and weighed 17 pounds. Here's the classic hold for the picture. What a rush it was to see him catch this one!!!

07muskie4.jpg

Here are a few release shots. Only took a few minutes before it swam off very strongly.

08muskie5.jpg

09muskie6.jpg

We then decided to have a little lunch. As we were making sandwiches, fishnsled throws a twister tail on a hook and sets his rod in a rod holder. He's getting a few nibbles, but he's busy making his sandwich. Suddenly, his rod tips heads down rather violently!! He runs over, picks up the rod and looks down. He's caught a perch, but a small muskie thinks it's his lunch instead!! I took a few picture, but they didn't turn out. The muskie holds on for a few minutes before abandoning the perch. Fishnsled reel in his perch and I take a quick pic of the slices from that bad boy's teeth.

10perch.jpg

We tried a few spots after lunch, but the bit really turned off...nothing was biting...not even bass. Bly take a little break from casting and throws a small plastic with a jig. She breaks her skunk on the wate by pulling in this perch.

11blyperch.jpg

Fishnsled...thanks once again for taking us out on the water. We've learned a LOT from you this summer in the outings you've taken us on. It's always a great day out there with you...always lots of laughs and some fish to go along with it. As you mentioned, we'll give it at least one more try this fall...and maybe bly or I can experience catching one.

Well done folks! It looks like from the picture, FishnSled didn't go to the "Mercury Hair Salon" over the weekend!LOL Well done everyone! :clapping:

HH

:P LOL! The last time we were fishing together I had the same hairdo. The fish didn't seem to mind. :D

Cliff - EXCELLENT report as always. :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together. With my day yesterday you'd still be waiting for the report. lol! Great pics too!

And yet another great day with the King and Queen of shorefishing. Nice to have them out again. The conditions were tough but if you're only going to get a few bites then you couldn't ask for a better day. I was a bit concern when Bly showed up with her trout hat on but she did manage to keep up with a pretty fish. :) I'll see if we can't get you two into muskie next time out, I'd gladly take a skunk for that to happen. ;)