Need some advice on buying new boat

icefisherman

Well, it looks like fixing my motor will cost me too much and will not be worth it, Considering I was planning on getting larger/newer boat anyways, this maybe the right time to do it.

I am listing some of the main questions I have on this:

1) Any good Canadian web sites for boat sales?

2) Aluminium vs. Fiberglas?

3) If aluminium Welded vs. riveted?

4) Any recommended brand names?

5) Two vs. 4 strokes?

6) If anyone knows about boat for sale that fits the basic requirements bellow please PM me.

I'll be using the boat for trolling the great lakes and taking it to some larger inland lakes (Simcoe, Temagami, etc.). It should be able to fit comfortably me and my familyt (two adults and two kids) on pleasure trips and a friend or two while fishing with all the fishing/trolling gear. I'd like to get a boat 17-18 feet long with swing/folding tong so it can fit in my double car garage. I've seen some newer boats like that, hope to find some older model with the same option, or be able to do that after purchase. Powerful enough main and kicker motor.

Full windshield and bowride style.

All the covers, safety gear, etc.

Want something newer then 1990.

Will be towing it with Nissan Pathfinder, so I’ll have plenty of towing power.

Considering the season is right for buyers what kind of price should I expect?

I hope to be able to find something decent under $10,000.

Those are just my main requirements.

I'm sure they'll get refined as this discussion and your comments progress.

Thanks to all who can give me their input.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Well, it looks like fixing my motor will cost me too much and will not be worth it, Considering I was planning on getting larger/newer boat anyways, this maybe the right time to do it.

I am listing some of the main questions I have on this:

5) Two vs. 4 strokes?

6) If anyone knows about boat for sale that fits the basic requirements bellow please PM me.

I'll be using the boat for trolling the great lakes and taking it to some larger inland lakes (Simcoe, Temagami, etc.). It should be able to fit comfortably me and my familyt (two adults and two kids) on pleasure trips and a friend or two while fishing with all the fishing/trolling gear. I'd like to get a boat 17-18 feet long with swing/folding tong so it can fit in my double car garage. I've seen some newer boats like that, hope to find some older model with the same option, or be able to do that after purchase. Powerful enough main and kicker motor.

Full windshield and bowride style.

All the covers, safety gear, etc.

Want something newer then 1990.

Will be towing it with Nissan Pathfinder, so I’ll have plenty of towing power.

Considering the season is right for buyers what kind of price should I expect?

I hope to be able to find something decent under $10,000.

Those are just my main requirements.

I'm sure they'll get refined as this discussion and your comments progress.

Thanks to all who can give me their input.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I think it will be hard to find what you are looking for given the price range.

Here are my suggestions for what they are worth

Aluminum / trailering

glass if you are leaving it at a slip

Forget welded

19' starcraft fishmaster has 100" beam and is almost 5 feet deep can be bought used for about 15,000 in Canada and half of that in the USA with main and kicker motor. Boat is extremely stable. Laughs at 7 foot waves.

Cut the tongue and make an insert tongue.

4 stroke all the way and I like the Yamaha's

Buy from the USA and trailer it back but make sure you know the regulations and you will save $$

5) Two vs. 4 strokes?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Fiberglass will give you a better & dryer ride in the rougher conditions. Aluminum will give you better fuel performance (both driving the boat & towing) because it’s lighter & it will be less wear & tear on your tow vehicle. Aluminum boats are generally laid out better for fisherman while fiberglass tends to be laid out more toward the fish & play type of boat.

My boat is a riveted aluminum that’s 21 years old & no leaks. People have both good & bad luck with riveted boats.

A friend of mine has an all welded aluminum boat (2005 Lowe FM175) that had 5 stress cracks in the bow were the support beams for the floor were welded to the hull. This happened this past May & his insurance company paid for a replacement. I’m no expert on metals but I have been told buy welders that aluminum doesn’t weld very well & has a tendency to crack at the welds.

For fiberglass Ranger & Stratos both make some really nice walleye boats that are in the 18 to 19 foot range. But you will be paying a lot more than $10K unless you find a used one & used fiberglass fishing boats in your size are harder to find.

For aluminum boats Lund is always the preferred choice but way out of your price range even the used ones. Alumacraft, Tracker, Lowe, & Crestliner all make some nice boats that are in the 17 to 18 foot range. You’ll have to buy used to keep it below $10K for the size boat that you want.

2-stokes require less maintenance, generally last longer, are lighter, cost less to buy & repair & generally you get better performance as well. 4-strokes are quieter & generally get better fuel economy. Of course the Evinrude E-tech gets better fuel economy that the 4-strokes but it cost an extra arm & a leg.

Your best bet is to look around at a lot of different boats before you buy. Talk to sales people. The sales people are always going to tell you way the boat they have is better so don’t get pulled in so quickly. Wait until you have talked with places that sell the different brands & do some research before you buy.

2-stokes require less maintenance, generally last longer, are lighter, cost less to buy & repair & generally you get better performance as well. 4-strokes are quieter & generally get better fuel economy. Of course the Evinrude E-tech gets better fuel economy that the 4-strokes but it cost an extra arm & a leg.

I'm not putting any money on the " 2strokes last longer costless to repair" You don't hear too many 4 strokers grumbling about repairs compared to the 2 strokes, plugs fouled, oil inject pooched, carbfubar, etc.

I'm not putting any money on the " 2strokes last longer costless to repair" You don't hear too many 4 strokers grumbling about repairs compared to the 2 strokes, plugs fouled, oil inject pooched, carbfubar, etc.

Would have to agree, I don't know of anyone with a 4 stroke that has had engine problems. My next motor will be a 4 stroke.

Try telling that to my wife's uncle. He has twin 4-stroke 150 Yamahas on his Pursuit & he's had nothing but problems with both motors for the last 5 years. Mainly carb/injector problems. I'm waiting to hear what the marina says about my buddy's 2006 4-stk 250 HP Yamaha. It started rattling pretty loud 2 weeks ago.

Edited by Zib

Would have to agree, I don't know of anyone with a 4 stroke that has had engine problems. My next motor will be a 4 stroke.

Keep in mind that since four strokes have only recently become popular, most four stroke are quite new while many people are driving two strokes that are over 20 years old. I think that we need to wait another 10 or 15 years before we can make a fair comparison in the long term reliability of four stroke versus two stroke motors. Especially for the larger horsepower motors, which haven't been available too long.

Well hate to hijack this thread but having owned two-2 strokes and two-4strokes I must say I prefer 4 stroke all the way.I just sold a Honda 7.5 horse power 3 yrs ago it was 26 years old when I sold it .It ran like new when I sold it .I wanted to keep it but it had a long foot and could not trim up high enough on my Newer Lund.The person who bought it loved it 29yrs old and runs like a new today.I had a glass boat with a 1989 Suzuki 55hp 2 stroke had to rebuild the motor and lets not forget how many sets of plugs one can go through in a summer.That little Honda influenced my purchase of my Lund which has a 50hp on it.my kicker is a 1999 8 hp Yamaha 2 stroke I have had some issues with the motor nothing major.To me 4 strokes are less troublesome .Quieter ,fuel efficient.smoke free and there in the shop less.4 stroke technology is not new Honda has been making them for over 40 years and they are the pioneers of 4 stroke.You can't put a 4 stroke down if you never owned one.

The people who had the problems with the Yamahas probably did not maintain them.There are many owners who do not maintain their motors.There are many old 2 strokes out there running like new because they were well maintained.As for my 55hp Suzuki I did my regular maitenace but I do not know how the previous owner maintained it.If you haven't owned one then you just don't know what your missing.I have only heard one owner on this board who had a 4 stroke go back to the 2 stroke and prefer it.This person has the new Evinrude E-Tech supposed to be totally different than the old 2 stroke technology.ONE MORE POINT 2 STROKES ARE VERY LOUD!!!!!!!!

Thats my 2 cents I have lived on both sides of the fence.

MTP :angel:

The people who had the problems with the Yamahas probably did not maintain them.There are many owners who do not maintain their motors.There are many old 2 strokes out there running like new because they were well maintained.As for my 55hp Suzuki I did my regular maitenace but I do not know how the previous owner maintained it.If you haven't owned one then you just don't know what your missing.I have only heard one owner on this board who had a 4 stroke go back to the 2 stroke and prefer it.This person has the new Evinrude E-Tech supposed to be totally different than the old 2 stroke technology.ONE MORE POINT 2 STROKES ARE VERY LOUD!!!!!!!!

Thats my 2 cents I have lived on both sides of the fence.

MTP :angel:

The people I know that owned 4-stks keep up on all the maintenance on them. They complain that it's too much maintenance compared to a 2-stk. Generally 2-stks are louder but my buddy's 250 HP 4-stk is loud. A new motor in it's first year of use shouldn't need to go in for repair 3 different times with less than 25 hours of use.

BTW what does Suzuki know about making marine engines? They need to stick to motor cycles.

My POS 1990 35HP Force 2 stk has only needed repair twice (water pump & fuel pump) in the 12 years that I have owned it. The only maintenance that I do on it is winterize it & change the spark plugs every 2 to 3 years. I use it 2 to 3 times a week between the end of March & middle of October.

Edited by Zib

Go to www.boattrader.ca. Pick all the options and see what's out there. I would recomend a Starcraft myself. I have no issues with mine and it takes not much effort to get up and plane with max weight in it. Also I find that it trailers well. Good luck.

Actually, don't knock Suzuki marine engines. My Father in law had one that he used and abused for 20 years before it pooched. Not much by way of maintanence and it ran strong until he left the boat in LOTW over the winter, in the spring the boat was under the ice and the motor was ruined.

Thanks to all who have contributed positively to this post. Your opinions and links have helped me a great deal. Please keep them coming, as I need to finalize my new boat purchase this fall. They are well appreciated.

As for the Fishmaster's comments....I'll make sure I personally email him picture of my new $10,000 “canoe” as soon as I get it.

I guess the old saying:

"When you don't have anything good to say, say nothing" - must be valid.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Sounds to me you may be better off with a Fiberglass than an Alluminum. Is it going to be an all out fishing boat or semi multipurpose. Do you want to stay dry in rough water? How rough is the water your going to be in. Do you want something fast or slow. There are lots of used boats for under 10k. For example my 17.5 foot bowrider is only 4k with everything, safety gear trailer, fishdinfer, trolling motor etc... minus the folding tongue(can put an insert in) and a kicker add a thousand bucks for a used 9.9, new seats for 500 and you well under 10k.

I am buying a boat as well. But I am going for a more shallow draft boat, more of a bass boat style fish and ski, versus a bowrider fish and ski. You really need to buy a boat like this for the water your fishing. I used to be on Muskoka Lake and my boat was perfect for that lake. Now on Scugog and I can't get to places that I want to fish.

I have been looking intesivly in the 5-10k range. There is not a heck of allot of difference in the boats in that price range. Some boats for 10k are the same as boats listed for for 5k.

If you really want the most boat for the buck your gonna have to go to the States, but be sure you know your boats and the model you want, you don't want to put the coin in to drive down and end up with something just for the sake of getting something.

If your going with a used alluminum go with a Lund.

If your going with a fiberglass than it will really depend on what water your on as to what style and type of boat you need.

Alluminums are good all around boats. Unless you go 18 feet or longer they are pretty bouncy in big waves, especially at trolling speeds. But since you say you want to put it in your garage a big alluminum may be out of the question. Stay as far away from Legends as you can. Some people like them but I have seen may Legends submerge the bow on Lakes like Muskoka, Simcoe and BoQ.

As for Outboard versus IO. There really isn't a huge difference. I have found older IO's seem to be easier to maintain and more reliable than some older OB's. SOme will argue against that but I guess it depends on what you have had to work on. I prefer to work on IO's as I am from a car mechanical background.

If you want to extend your fishing season into the very late fall an IO will need to be winterized sooner than an Outboard.

Both are about the same as far as what to do, slightly more on an IO.

I prefer the visibility gained from having an Inboard and I like the ability to have a larger rear deck/swim platform with an IO.

Personaly preference though.

Best of Luck searching. If you figure out exactly what you want let me know, I am always looking I may come across a decent deal.

Ahh after re reading your posts, I would think your definatly after a Fiberglass a 17 footer on the great lakes trolling is gonna be really rough. I have been there in an 18 foot Lund, at speed its tolerable but trolling it can be very scary. As can Simcoe.

18 foot limit is going to put you into 17 foot Fiberglass boats. If your gonna be tooling around with 6 people I think you definatly want to have a bowrider. If your not interested in my boat thats cool, but it really would be a good fit for what your after. Can seat 9 with the bow casting deck removed. seats 4 no problem. I have 4 kids myself, so we always have 2 adults and 4 kids.

A 19 footer would be better but they are gonna be way to big to fit in your garage.

As for boat manufacturers, Glastron and Four Wins made the best boats in the late 80's early 90's. Some Rinkers were ok, and stay as far away from bayliners as you can.

As for IO versus OB's. If your on Big lakes you will appreciated the fuel savings you get from an Inboard versus an OB.

a 150hp OB will burn nearly 3 times what a 140hp IO and will maybe be 5mph faster. EG mine will do 42mph with a 19 pitch prop.

A 17 foot Alluminum with 4 adults and 2 kids is gonna be pretty scary on the great lakes and Simcoe. JMHO. I have been on both, had both and will likely be sticking with a Fiberglass. If I can find a shallow draft fiberglass IO I would but I think I will have to go with an OB. The gas is gonna kill me though.