Lake Erie eyes and bows report

icefisherman

Uncle Buck me and my 2 year old son went to close the lake Erie season yesterday.

What a closure it was...we got WAY more then what we bargained for.

Started about 4pm and ended up with 8 very good size eyes, 2 nice rainbows and one silver bass. Not counting 7-8 sheepheads I dragged on the 10 colors from way back.

Spoon bites mostly. Uncle Buck got some eyes and his rainbow on Ripling Redfin tipped with worm. It was a bit bumpy in the begining got a bit wet while trying to navigate that terrible channel at Port Burwell and touched bottom 3-4 times on the way in. Fished 62-66 fow 50 - 60 feet down.

So fishing paert was great....unfortunately it was not the only "part" of our adventure yesterday.

About 7:40pm westart making our way back to Port.

Full speed back...kept going for about 15-20 min when suddenly the motor just died on us. First time this ever happened on my boat.

We were 16 km South West of Port Burwell.

Quick inspection showed us not any obvious reason...a short starter cable was loos and we tight is up....tried starting the motor with the rope...no luck it was hard moving the big flying wheen on the top...then it became IMPOSSIBLE to move it....when engaged in gear I couldn't rotate the propeller at all.

While speculating about the reason for our problems we've tried calling for help/tow back to port some of the other 4-5 boats that were out......guess what....they have all disappeared of the radar screen...noone answered... as they've evaporated. Mind you we had a 2 year old child on board it was pass 8pm getting dark and wind was picking up slightly. No clouds...lots of stars on the sky...

After we figured we are not getting help from other fisherman in the area we've made several cell phone calls to friends and to OPP and coast guard. We've only had hand held VHF with us (Thanks Goran for that) and it was working but with poor reception at times.

We were told that there is no cost guard vestle close by and we have to wait for an auxilaty vestle to come from Port Stenley. And the waiting time would be about 3 hours?!? <_<:wallbash:

In the meantime my son after asking couple hundred questions on what's happening and why are we sitting like ducks in the middle of the lake fall aslep. What a tropper he was all the time yesterday!!!

We we in distress in 58 fow and wind was from East-South/East about 10-15 km/h slowly but surely increasing as ig got late. We were advised to drop the ancor (it hold well), gave the cost guard our GPS coordinates and....started enjoying the sky/shore view while discussing how come it takes them 3 hours knowing there is small child on board it's windy and dark...oh well....to wait is an art as someone has said...

Turns out they have miscalculated their ATA ...VHF connection with the Sarnia Cost guard station was spotty and with the resque vestle non-existant.

By about 10:30 pm we were told the resque vestle is 5-6 miles from us but we couldn't see it although it was clear night and one could see tents of miles away....we were flashing lights until finally we did see them......when they got about 1 mile or so from us we were finally able to communicate with them directly on the VHF...they've approached us, told us all the formalities, got permission from the cost guard and from us and hooked us up....by this time waves were getting in the 3 feet range and wind was also picking up from the SE. They tow us with 7 miles/hour back to.......Port Bruce as they've refused going in to Port Burwell because of the condition of the channel there...Turns out later they told us the've rescued another vestle on Saturday but they towed them only to right in front of Port Burwell and let them paddle from there while watching they get their safely, but it was earlier time of the day. And that same day they have rescued the crew of the boats that went on the rocks at Port Burrwell as well...

Any how...we arrived at Port Bruce about 12:45 with big waves slamming us and the rescue vestle and making it near impossible to enter the harbour...the resque vestle was in constanc communication with the Sarnia Cost guard and us advising us they may have to abort and go to Port Stanley instead as it was too ricky and dangerous to slam us in to the wall with the waves heading us in the back...they've shortened the rope to only 10 feet or so and ever so slowly (and professionaly) took the chance and got us in the channel...boy was it close few times...we were with the paddles trying to asist them and puss ourselves back away from the wall should we get pushed there by the wind...

Had to paddle the last 150 feet as the resque vestle could not get us right to the ramp, it was hallow and tight there...

There were the rescue vestle owner (John) and his wife(Path) and three crew mambers. The rescue vestle was called "Maverick". Huge nice boat, well equiped with ALL necessary rescue equipment. Despite the conditions and taking those people from their dinner table they were VERY PROFESSIONAL and FRIENDLY!

Path has offered to take me back with my son to Port Burwell to get my truck and trailer. We did that while Goran waited at the ramp in Port Bruce,c hatting with the marina owner and his wife. By 2 am or so I was back, we loaded the boat and stuff and were ready to go by 3am...The marina owner's wife refused us paying them for anything....I offered to pay to the ramp use but the answer was NO. She offered sandwitch for my son and gave us ice for the fish (again refused accepting any money for anything).

Dropped Goran by his car and we were home by 5am.

What a day/nigh it was!!!

Few words inconclusion....While we were a bit concerned with the later arrival of Maveric we realized later after talking to them under the conditions (weather and otherwise) they did the best they could. Turns out Maveric is normally docket in Port Bruce but was taken to Port Stanley a day before. The distress call found John and Path at the dinner table (in Port Burewell), they've quickly assembeled the rest of the crew and drove to Port Stanley to launch and come back to us at Port Burwell.

So, it was a late night for them as well.

They were extremely friendly and professional together with the falks at the marina in Port Bruce. I know I am repeating myself but they do deserve our thanks.

We were told the whole operation does not cost us anything although I've asked what can we pay.

Was I ever happy (for the first time about the taxes I pay).

So a bad situation resolved in a late night and tons of food for thoughts for me.

1) Must always have VHF on board

2) Hand held ones caould work but a stationary one is really a MUST!

3) Second kicker motor is a MUST

4) Cell phones on the boast are a MUST (despite how much I hate them in my daily life)

5) It pays to have all your safety equipment in working order

6) Panicking definetly does NOT help

7) Helping your fellow fisherman/boater is of FIRST Priority and have little/none respect for people who hear distress signal on the radion and do not respond. With my small boat I have towed other larger boats twise before as I could never think of leaving people helpless in the middle of the lake, but others do...

8) Paying taxes is NOT always a bad thing

9) Having a good buddy in the boat with you while fishing and a nice calm kid does help

10)Having a good battery is a must- ours lasted with all the lights on for 6 hrs last night.

11) patientce is VITRUE!!

So, no the boat will go to my boat mechanic later today he'll look at it tomorrow afternoon to see if the motor has seized up or isit transmission problem as he was thinking on the phone while telling him about the problem. The motor can not be turned at all with the gear engaged. Ther trottle lever can not be moved in the reverse position, only forward and neutral.

I've been worned I maybe be in for a HUGE bill for motor repair of replacement but will see what the mechanic says....then I'll decide on boat/motor alternatives.

Sorry no pictures of the fish or the rest of the troubles as it was dark and Goran's camera/battery died and my cell phone would not get any picture in the dark without flash.

This was the story and I am now thinking I maybe out few thousand dollars after all is set and done but we got home safe an it could have been much worse.

Hope this read helps others to prevent (or in) similar situation.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

That is scary stuff, Emil. At least you were with a good guy...the last thing you would have wanted was a screaming, panicking lunatic to scare the boy as well. Glad all ended well and yes, this post will certainly help some people.

Really glad it ended the way it did... man, having been out on Erie, an equally far distance from sanctuary, I can only imagine what was going through your head. Adding your two year old into the equation is something I don't even want to consider.

Thanks for the story and again, glad it didn't end worse.

HH

Hey Emil, glad you made it home safely - too bad we couldn't get out today.

It's hard to diagnose a problem like that over the phone but when you told me of the shifter problem it got me thinking it might be neutral safety switch keeping you from starting. If the engine is still in gear it won't start. I hope it's a bad swtich/linkage problem.

It must have been tough out there. Up late, wayyy past his bedtime, frightened, cold and wet but I'm glad Goran was well bahaved for you. ;)

-Brian

what no pictures....LOL

you want pictures??

bucky.gif

It was a great day out on the water, Emil is a great guy and i'd like to thank him for having me on his boat...

accidents happen, and the most important thing is to stay calm...

Emil's son Jordan was a tropper out there :clapping: he went to sleep and slept through the whole ordeal...

FYI to all you boaters out there...

make sure you have a VHF, although I don't have the licence for it, it's still a very important tool to have on board...

the coast gaurd would rather you have it and use it properly then not have it at all...

read up on calling protocol and ettiquite. My cell phone ran out of batteries, luckily Emils was still on, but a cellphone can lose signal and run out of batteries... a fixed station VHF will definitely give more/better reception... we were able to communicate with the coast gaurd, but now with our rescue vessel until they were very near by...

another safety note, many people over look is anchor line... proper anchor line should have 5-10 feet of chain, and a minimum of 3X the length of rope as to the depth you are anchoring. many of us have anchors/rope, but how many have chain on the rope and enough of it

Thanks also goes out to the Sarnia Coast Gaurd Station, and the Rescue Vessel "Maverick" they were top notch and did their best to get us out of harms way and back to shore :clapping::clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks also goes out to the owners of the Port Bruce Marina, this couple came out and invited me into their home to warm up and gave me warm coffee and cookies, and gave me access to their telephone, since my cellphone went dead, to call home and let the family know that we were on shore safe and sound and that they need not worry... :clapping::clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Emil left out the part where we put my salmon cooler on the bow of the boat to get it up on plane, well Emil and I both sat on one side of the boat, and the cooler went overboard :wallbash: luckily the cooler didn't take water in and managed to stay afloat. Emil pulled the anchor up and we paddled over and recovered the cooler with the fish :clapping:

This incident has not stained my thoughts/views on boating/fishing, but i see it as an eye opener, realizing that accidents can and do happen, but the best thing to do is be prepared and know how to handle the situation...

I hope that the rescue vessel "Maverick" made it back to Port safe/unharmed

Well done boys!!

There is no words to describe how it felt being on the other side and waiting for them to get back to the shore, and not knowing where they are. I am very glad that all of them made it safe and sound. I know that Emil's wife as well as I were scared to death of what was happening and how things will work out. Thank God, and people who helped with their rescue, they are here to tell us their story.

Good job!

Andrea

WOW! Now that's a story we don't want to be reading here too often, if every again. Hopefully it's an eye opener for a few of us here as Wayne's story was too. Very happy to hear it ended well. You should add your "top 11 points" to the Safe boating and fishing tips. Some good stuff there.

This spring I got my VHF license and feel it was money and time well spent. I've just got a handheld unit myself but will be looking into a fixed mount unit with DSC (Digital Selective Calling) after reading this. In a situation where you are drifting around and unable to anchor, the VHF radio when tied in with your GPS gives the coast guard your location at all times. Something to look for when buying a unit. I think all the newer units have it.

Once again, glad there was a happy ending.

Glad to hear everyone is safe. This is just another example of why it pays to have all of the safety equipment necessary and then some.

You're right Tony. It doesn't take much room to double up on all the safety equipment and Muskiestudd gave me a great tip - whistles on all the PFD's.

I'm glad everything ended up ok.

Safety should be the first thing on your mind when boating, but even with safety to the nines things still happen. Backups on backups on backups are a good idea. The following are life savers on lakes like Erie, kicker motors, flares, air horns, proper anchors, VHF radio's, GPS, kill switch attached to you when you are alone, a bilge(and a backup bilge motor) etc...

This all being said we once had to have the Coast Guard's rescue unit tow us in on a 33 foot boat off of Long Point. When we got to shore they said no charge but about two weeks later we received a bill for $300.00. Ya no charge at the moment,,,lol. Did you notice they took your name, address etc...

There is always a risk going on the water, try and keep it at a minimum, in your case with a 16 foot glass on Erie well you are already in the high risk category. You may want to think of some measures to start reducing that risk.

Edited by Vanselena

To be quite frank I think he was very lucky. To go out on the lake and have your only backup being a hand held VHF unit, what if something had gone wrong with his only backup? In fact there were at least 3 other boaters fishing the same area at the same time that said they never heard the call, very lucky the coast guard did. If he had fired off a flare or had given the 3 air horn blast I'm sure he would have never had to call in the coast guard volunteers as he would have given other mariners a chance to respond.

I am still shaking my head and wondering how many other boaters out there put their and their passengers lives at such risk! As boaters our first responsibility is safety, I don't go in others boats very often but after this post I can tell you I will be asking them what their backups are if I do enter their vessel.

Glad you all made it in safe .....*16 on the cel phone will put you in contact with the Coast Gaurd .....and yes never go out on any great lakes with one motor ...we all learn from our mistakes ...fishmaster

Edited by Fishmaster