Back from Lakair

lew

Hi guys, I've been away fishing for the last 11 days or so and just got in today.

I was up at my trailer for the 1st 5 days, then spent the next 6 days at Lakair (Nippissing) with a few OFNers and as always, we all had an excellent trip. The days were spent on the water and the evenings sitting around the campfires.

Except for some very serious rains on Friday, the weather was excellent, although the winds were pretty strong on Thursday and were pushing up some nasty waves. Infact I was fishing by myself and actually put on my lifejacket just incase.

MistyRiver and I headed out to WestBay on Friday in some beautiful weather but it soon turned into one of the nastiest storms I've ever encountered on the water, although it didn't last long and the sun was shining again before we got back to camp.

It came up extremely fast over the horizon and this is what it looked like just before it hit us.

Cnv2114.jpg

Cnv2113.jpg

We could see the rain heading for us and had time to get into our rainsuits, and just minutes later we wore the whole brunt of this storm with rain so heavy I had to keep my head almost inside the windshield and drive by the GPS track line in order to see where we were heading. The winds were ferocious and driving the tops off the waves, then the hail began and was coming down so hard at one point, the floor of the boat was nearly solid white and covered with pea sized ice pellets.

It lasted about 15-20 minutes, then cleared as fast as it started and the sun was shining bright by the time we got back to camp about 8 miles away.

Here's a shot of Whopper & Misty River early one morning bbefore breakfast

Cnv2120.jpg

And another of Whopper & his son PJ

Cnv2116.jpg

Saturday I invited Misty Jr. out for a day looking for muskies. I had one blow up on my Sledge just off a rocky point but never got him, but a little later on Corey hooked into this nice pike right beside the boat.

Corey's young in years, but handles a fish'n pole as well as most of the men I fish with and it was a pleasure to spend the day on the water with him.

Cnv2118.jpg

Sunday I was joined by DEG and we had another great trip with about 8 pike and a couple decent bass in the boat, although we didn't take any pictures. I've known Don & Ruth for quite awhile but this was the 1st time we ever shared a boat together, although it certainly won't be the last.

Cnv2124.jpg

Before I headed north I bought a Hotmap chart for Nippissing for my GPS and it sure made life easier for getting around the many islands and submerged rocks that the area is so famous for. It's about my 6th or 7th trip up there now and I can honestly say it's the 1st time I've truly felt comfortable running around the rocks.

All week long we had winds, often very strong at times, out of the west, and the fishing was decent, but Sunday morning the winds changed direction and started blowing from the east, and every one of us had our best fishing of the entire week.

Let that be a lesson to any of you that believe the old wives tale that "fish bite the least when the wind blows from the east" ;)

Anyways, I didn't take many pics this time but it was an awesome trip to Lakair as usual with a bunch of great friends !! :thumbsup_anim:

What a great report Lew. Man those storms blow up fast in that area eh, and are over just as fast. I've often wondered if it would be better just to hunker down behing and island til it passes instead of trying to make it back to camp. :dunno:

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with some great people. Wish I had of been there.

Joey

It was a great day to be on the water Lew and I'm looking forward to the next time. It was nice having that area of the lake to ourselves. You can't beat the scenery of the north.

I just wish you had blanked out the background behind me .... now everyone will find our secret spot. :D It probably doesn't matter, cause Whopper threw his marker buoy out when we left. LOL

Those storm clouds look familiar but I've never had hail with them while in my boat.

Great pics and report.

Lew I take it that you kept the camera dry this round.

Great report you always have the best times where every you go but for some reason old mother nature follows.

Corey is a great youg lad and I hope that Jim and he will get down here some time soon for some LSC musky action.

Thanks everyone, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the picctures.

I was waiting for your Lakair report Lew looks like you had a great time .I am looking forward to next years gathering though.Is navigation around the rocks that dangerous in Lakair?

MTP

Are you gonna be joining us next year Mike ??

There are alot of rocks right at the surface or just under and many are invisible until it's too late if your going faster than you should be.

Obviously the charts are only a guideline and caution should always prevail, but it does help to know where the deeper channels are around the hazards.

Oh, and it also helps to keep your fingers crossed too ;)

Sounds like a great vacation, especially being able to finish it off with a trip to Lakair. I'll be up there the third weekend in September for my first time, I can't wait, so many Lakair reports floating around on here!

I think you've caught enough Muskies in your day lew, good job letting Mistyjr take the spotlight ;)

Tony

Great summary Lew I had a great time with everyone.

I know on the water with Phil that storm came in fast, but we were not 9 miles out, so we made it in right before the rain.

I got to fish with my first 4 OFC'ers, and had a great time with all of them :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you for bringing on the water I learned alot, and can't wait to see you again.

Great report,

Corey