1. 1. Best Value for $1000 budget?

• Toro
    • Brute
    • Ariens
    • MTD
    • Yardworks
    • Yardpro
    • Other?

I've been saddled with the task of picking out a snow blower for my father-in-law.

I have a $1000 budget for 100'x10' gravel/grass driveway near Owen Sound. He is in his 60's.

What brands should I look for? stay away from?

What size? hp/width

What conveniences should I be thinking of when choosing it?

Thanks in advance,

-Brian

Get one that has electric start, self propelled and adjust the scraper bar and you'll be good.

Toro is probably the best, but also costs a ton. Canadian Tire and Walmart both essentially carry the same line (MTD). Home Depot is where I got mine. Can't remember all the specs on it, but it is pretty huge. Mine is 13 HP...my elderly neighbour has about the same size and it tosses him around pretty good.

Owen Sound gets a ton of snow, so you'll likely want tire chains and drift cutters too. Push the budget up to 1200 and you'll probably get everything you need.

I have a 10hp MTD and it does a fine job no matter what the snowfall and we get alot of snow in Montreal .tecumseh motors run very well.Do not buy less than 10HP.I paid a $1000.00 3 yrs ago the prices have risen 20 t0 30 percent since. electric start is a must almost all models come standard with electric start .good luck with the purchase. :thumbsup_anim:

21 inch Toro high reving electric-start single stage with the rubber paddles. Had an old buddy use one for years and he was on disability. He himself would lift it into his pickup and go do many other old folks in town. Made lotsa $$ and wore out a set of paddles. He swore by it and it throws snow a mile.

I have one and love it. Maybe $700. taxes in.

Used to have a 5 hp 4 stroke 22" cut and now have a 8 hp 4 stroke 26" cut (all two stage ie selfpropel) my father just trade in his 5 hp 4S 22" two stage to a Arien 7 hp 2 S 22" single stage because he is not crazy about the selfpropel units and my mother can't operate that in case my father was not home.

My suggestion is take your father in-law to the store and show him how's different models / features work and if he is mechanical handy and can operate two stage machine of course that's the way to go because all you have to do is switch it in gear and follow behind the machine but if someone feel like the machine is dragging themself then a single stage might suits better.

My 5 will do the job in Toronto but if you need to do it in a hurry (try to get to work and not being late) then 8 hp & up is better plus this is going to be a long term investment 5,7 or 10 years of use get the biggest motor you can afford and even few years down the road the motor is a little tired it still have enought juice to do the work.

Edited by newlundowner

Thanks for the input folks.

I think you guys got the wrong idea when I mentioned my father in-law was in his 60's... I wasn't implying that he was weak and frail. I was implying that in 20 years or so this could be my machine so I want to get a good one! ;) Truth is, he'll probably out-live me. For him, chopping wood is a hobby not a chore.

So, at this point I'm considering no less than 8hp 26" self propelled, electric start.

What brand should I be looking at? Best value for $1000

-Brian

I work for Canadian Tire...used to buy them for the company. Yardworks machines are made by MTD and carry twice the standard warranty in the industry. They'll have Briggs and Stratton engines, unless they've changed them in the past 4 years. Read up on MTD and the quality is the same as Yardworks!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Thanks for the input folks.

I think you guys got the wrong idea when I mentioned my father in-law was in his 60's... I wasn't implying that he was weak and frail. I was implying that in 20 years or so this could be my machine so I want to get a good one! ;) Truth is, he'll probably out-live me. For him, chopping wood is a hobby not a chore.

So, at this point I'm considering no less than 8hp 26" self propelled, electric start.

What brand should I be looking at? Best value for $1000

-Brian

I would suggest the Murray and home depot carry them.

I paid $997 for a 8 hp 26" cut electric start and it came with 4 years warranty.

One more thing to add if your in-law's drive way is long and dark might want to consider one with a little light power by the stator on the motor mine doesn't come with it.

Also the Brute is made by Murray and its almost the same with a slight different features.

Edited by newlundowner

I must say I have to thank my father (gone for a long time already) for buying his Ariens 7hp/24", in the winter of 1969/70, it's still running like day one. Excellent machine, parts are still available if needed. It's had 2 mufflers, 3 belts and one friction drive wheel in 36/37 years, can't complain. Change oil, pump up tires, add gas and blow snow. If I had to choose another model it would be either a Bolens or Toro. In my opinion, the rest like Murray, Yard work, you'd better have a snow shovel on standby.

Was out picking up some things yesterday I took the time to price snowblowers.Yardman 8hp at canadian tire $997.00.Thats what I paid for my 10hp 4 winters ago.They have jumped about $200 since then.

Over at Home depot.Murray pro series with a sturdy steel chute .8HP 27 inches wide $1021.00.

The 10Hp 30 inches wide $1197.00 Tecumseh Motor. :santa: No provincial sales tax this week.

Was out picking up some things yesterday I took the time to price snowblowers.Yardman 8hp at canadian tire $997.00.Thats what I paid for my 10hp 4 winters ago.They have jumped about $200 since then.

Over at Home depot.Murray pro series with a sturdy steel chute .8HP 27 inches wide $1021.00.

The 10Hp 30 inches wide $1197.00 Tecumseh Motor. :santa: No provincial sales tax this week.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

I am leaning towards the 8HP MTD at Walmart for $997 because we get a 10% discount but I haven't ruled anything out. I'll take a run over to Home Depot (and risk something falling on me) to have a look at the Murray Pro's.

I have been told to stay with the Tecumseh engine because since Briggs & Stratton has part availability issues after five years.

-Brian

There's a murray snowblower for $997 at home depot, its 8 hp and 27" path. Ive had a murray lawn tractor for about three years and never had a problem with it.

Canadian Tire also do a YardWorks one for a similar price. I have a small Yardworks snowblower that I have used for two seasons now to clear away the pond for the kids to skate on. It also works great and I havent had any problems with it.

Although I like the more expensive ones, like Toro or JD, the murray and yardworks stuff works great.

Just my two pennith worth.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I've decided on a Yard Machine by MTD

http://tinyurl.com/y84jm2

$897.30 Total after discount

$125.62 GST/PST

=========

$1022.92

---from the website---

10HP Tehcumseh

28in. clearing path