First Muskie

On 5/8/2024 at 6:21 AM, 16 Footer said:

Sorry!

Don't be! It was a great shot of a very happy young man.

If picture taking is forbidden for an out of season fish then it's also forbidden for in season fish that are illegal to possess due to slot sizes regulations (as noted above).

I've seen lot's of Musky (and Walleye, Bass, etc!) pictures here and else where of slot sized (no possession) fish in season, just saying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Don't be! It was a great shot of a very happy young man.

If picture taking is forbidden for an out of season fish then it's also forbidden for in season fish that are illegal to posses due to slot sizes regulations (as noted above).

I've seen lot's of Musky (and Walleye, Bass, etc!) pictures here and else where of slot sized fish in season, just saying.

Slippery slope.  Possession limit vs out of season fish.    This debate could go on forever lol.   I think a little bit of common sense needs to be applied to the regs.

• Like 1

Yes but young kids and women are not as prepared men are

and I said 2 minutes because a biologist doing studies on fish told me they try not to  keep fish out of the water for more then two minutes ,even ones they put transmitters in 

• Like 1

now were talking about stop watches and precisely timing how long fish are out...far easier to say, the fish is out of season, release it immediately. 

And yes, if your kid catches an out of season fish, its the perfect opportunity to teach them about fishing ethics and rules, maybe they will also become a steward of our resource.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 4

On 5/10/2024 at 2:35 PM, porkpie said:

Read the room fellas, you missed the temperature, and you're overcooking the roast.  Further, ever tried charging a child under 12 for a grip and grin? Nothing bad will ever come of this, even if posted on facebook.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Any muskie thread of here gets attention especially from the long term members.  

Well it IS the only fish actually worth chasing LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2024 at 9:19 AM, AKRISONER said:

1. Congrats to your grandson, absolutely would snap a pic of my nephews etc. as well. For myself though, certainly not, just ask me about my "PB" laketrout...I just know that it was massive. 

2. The rules dont need changing, and it has nothing to do with this particular scenario, and absolutely everything to do with how the average person does their fish photo op...aka land the fish, bring it in the boat, try unhook, grab pliers, struggle to get hooks out, look at fish, weigh it, measure it, search for camera, take photo, realize its blurry, take another photo and then release. For a fish on a bed, or a big musky...thats a wrap.

and second of all, tournament guys would 100000% take advantage of this and start hosting catch measure release tournaments out of season. Full stop. Dont change the rules, im not even happy about it happening in zone 20. Its unnecessary and those bass dont need additional tournament pressure beyond what they already experience. 

If you really need to document your catches, get a go pro, problem solved. Ask Nick Cousivs about his 8lb smallie he caught in zone 20.

Hey Ark, as usual you make a lot of sense. This happens to many of us and sure, we shouldn't snap a pic or weigh it but if we're careful about the time out of water, i'd say go for it. Now, maybe the pic could be prefaced with "my grandson last fall" to CYA but this is a pretty small forum so I don't think its an issue. Also, pretty hard for the MNR to come down on someone based on a pic. They should be focusing their efforts on the poachers.

Case and point, I was in the long point inner bay last may and there was a ton of people fishing. Now there is a sanctuary which it appeared that they were honoring but outside of that it was game on.  I mentioned to a few fishermen about the season restrictions and the location of the sanctuary and certainly got some dirty looks!

Now if you ask why I was there its because I had a new boat and I was going through the break in procedure. I didn't even have a rod in the boat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KraTToR said:

Hey Ark, as usual you make a lot of sense. This happens to many of us and sure, we shouldn't snap a pic or weigh it but if we're careful about the time out of water, i'd say go for it. Now, maybe the pic could be prefaced with "my grandson last fall" to CYA but this is a pretty small forum so I don't think its an issue. Also, pretty hard for the MNR to come down on someone based on a pic. They should be focusing their efforts on the poachers.

Case and point, I was in the long point inner bay last may and there was a ton of people fishing. Now there is a sanctuary which it appeared that they were honoring but outside of that it was game on.  I mentioned to a few fishermen about the season restrictions and the location of the sanctuary and certainly got some dirty looks!

Now if you ask why I was there its because I had a new boat and I was going through the break in procedure. I didn't even have a rod in the boat.

It seems the MNR does "come down on someone based on a pic". Don't get me wrong, the example in the link is apples and oranges compared to the photo that was posted here...but it looks like the CO's do troll the fishing forums on-line..

https://www.orilliamatters.com/local-news/social-media-photos-of-lake-sturgeon-net-fines-for-local-anglers-1639609

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrowMan said:

It seems the MNR does "come down on someone based on a pic". Don't get me wrong, the example in the link is apples and oranges compared to the photo that was posted here...but it looks like the CO's do troll the fishing forums on-line..

https://www.orilliamatters.com/local-news/social-media-photos-of-lake-sturgeon-net-fines-for-local-anglers-1639609

A couple of years ago…some “new Canadians” posted an entire video showing them running around netting and then spearing salmon in one of the rivers. They then  put their full legal names in the credits and posted it to YouTube.

needless to say, charges were laid 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

A couple of years ago…some “new Canadians” posted an entire video showing them running around netting and then spearing salmon in one of the rivers. They then  put their full legal names in the credits and posted it to YouTube.

needless to say, charges were laid 😂

That was on the Credit, I remember that vid LOL

• Haha 1