top 5 musky lures?!

siwash

4 hours ago, BITEME said:

I like fishing them as a lightning storm is coming

One day maybe 15 years ago they were calling for a nasty thunderstorm in the evening so I said to my bud we should head out just before the storm hits as that often turns them on. Once we could hear the thunder approaching we jumped in the boat and headed for a favorite spot a mile down the lake. I think it was the 3rd cast and I got this guy. We took the picture and ran back to the camp as the lightening was flashing around us. My wife asked why we didn't go fishing and I told her we left 20 minutes ago, got a fish and now we're back.

You can see the storm behind me and although it wasn't a big fish it's always fun when a plan comes together LOL

Aug0801-1.webp

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

Not sure how you feel about night fishing but there is a full moon cycle coming on and if it’s a clear night nothing beats a full moon in the wee hours of the morning definately chubby inducing!!!!!!! Like a hydroplane coming through the water

just saying

13 minutes ago, BITEME said:

Not sure how you feel about night fishing

I hear ya Pete, chasing muskies in total darkness was a real passion of mine for years and I think maybe I enjoyed it more that daylight fishing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Im just going to call it out for what it is...fair weather fishermen, dont catch fish.

Get some rain gear and get the heck out there.

Whoa whoa this particular Fairweather fishermen catches fish!!!!!

🤘

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Im just going to call it out for what it is...fair weather fishermen, dont catch fish.

Get some rain gear and get the heck out there.

Sometimes you break all the rules...deep blue skies, dead flat calm, high pressure, middle of the day...

30" Walleye20230722_181639.jpg.e25db1850a37ee8f5f516c484617e1ed.jpg

I fished them almost exclusively for 5 or 6 years, (limited success). Accumulated probably $1000 + in Muskie baits. Always fished the same 3 or so..😳.

Black and Orange spinnerbait, Same colour Double 10, Jailbird Believer, Clown Jerkbait.

• Haha 1

Excellent thread.

so I am a shore fisherman that has been trying to catch a muskie for about 2 years. 

I fish Lake Gibson in Thorold (nothing but I know there are big muskie in it)

I have driven out to a well known shore spot on Lake St. Claire (about 2 hours from me) 3x and each time no one caught one lol 

I am thinking about trying a shore spot in the Kawarthas for a better chance. 

there is a spot near a boat launch in Balsam lake where people fish that is about the same driving distance as Lake St. Claire was.

Worth a shot? I have a muskie rig (St. Croix Premier, Tranx etc) big net etc.

Or am I better to try somewhere near Pigeon Lake?? it seems to be another muskie factory like Lake St. Claire is.

thanks!

With all that wasted gas you probably could have hired a guide.   That's what I'd do if you want a legit shot at a muskie.  Kawarthas is definitely the place to do it, large population of fish.   Shouldn't be hard to get into one this time of year.

9 hours ago, Duckie said:

Excellent thread.

so I am a shore fisherman that has been trying to catch a muskie for about 2 years. 

I fish Lake Gibson in Thorold (nothing but I know there are big muskie in it)

I have driven out to a well known shore spot on Lake St. Claire (about 2 hours from me) 3x and each time no one caught one lol 

I am thinking about trying a shore spot in the Kawarthas for a better chance. 

there is a spot near a boat launch in Balsam lake where people fish that is about the same driving distance as Lake St. Claire was.

Worth a shot? I have a muskie rig (St. Croix Premier, Tranx etc) big net etc.

Or am I better to try somewhere near Pigeon Lake?? it seems to be another muskie factory like Lake St. Claire is.

thanks!

You know its a good time of year to be hitting harbours around your area for some really big pike not quite the same as tagging your name to a muskie but you can get them the same size as BillM has in his picture Just saying!!to each their own

• 2 weeks later...