Milky lower unit oil concern...

siwash

Has anyone else noticed this -  a member here PM me and circled this spot.  I also noted in when I inspected the area and thought it could be trouble.. could this be my problem if it's not the seals?  

0-3.jpg

Edited by siwash

9 hours ago, siwash said:

Has anyone else noticed this -  a member here PM me and circled this spot.  I also noted in when I inspected the area and thought it could be trouble.. could this be my problem if it's not the seals?  

0-3.jpg

I did notice that I though it was just crappy weld

I was thinking of adding JB WELD... used it to seal an old tin boat years ago and was very effective. Can't hurt to try, eh?

So maybe some hope of salvaging it? 

Some honest opinions - if the motor is unsalvageable what is it worth (parts wise)?  I may have to sell it and want to be honest with a potential buyer (unlike the the last guy who sold it to me..)

Caveat emptor... bloody Romans! 

9 hours ago, Fisherman said:

If there's no pressure, maybe not.  Might be a really good idea to do a pressure test on it to lay that idea to rest.

So I've performed PSI tests on my motors in the past.. pretty easy.. IS this the same kind of test or are we talking about a completely different kind of test? 

Thanks guys...

4 hours ago, siwash said:

I was thinking of adding JB WELD... used it to seal an old tin boat years ago and was very effective. Can't hurt to try, eh?

So maybe some hope of salvaging it? 

Some honest opinions - if the motor is unsalvageable what is it worth (parts wise)?  I may have to sell it and want to be honest with a potential buyer (unlike the the last guy who sold it to me..)

Caveat emptor... bloody Romans! 

I JB welded a crack in the oil pan on the  bottom of our 1992 kawasaki bayou 220 10 years ago.  The kids are still tearing that old bike up today.  If that is a split, I'd JB it, sand it as smooth as you can and hit it with some paint.  My bet is it'll work just fine!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, porkpie said:

I JB welded a crack in the oil pan on the  bottom of our 1992 kawasaki bayou 220 10 years ago.  The kids are still tearing that old bike up today.  If that is a split, I'd JB it, sand it as smooth as you can and hit it with some paint.  My bet is it'll work just fine!

I hope you're right...!

9 hours ago, strik said:

Just saying the guy who sold it to u might have not know, we can assume all we want.

Either way always sucks when you purchase something used and find issues.

Best of luck with the fix

Agreed... but I finding hard to imagine that this water issue just appeared for me this winter.  And nor the crack.  He said he had it for some time.. anyhow too late - buyer beware.. my fault. And when you buy old, used stuff, you can't expect not to have some issues. If I could afford new or newer, I wouldn't be buying an old motor! 

Do beat yourself up poop happens and this didn’t happen this winter

this is a previous owner thing not your fault at all live and learn if you go the jb route after doing seals

scarf up the area good where you are laying it down wipe it with acetone let it dry and go to it

you’ll be fine!!

peter

• Thanks 1

Speaking of those seals, just received email from parts supplier (marine dealer up near Mactier) and they have them. I think I'll order a water pump/impeller kit too and change that sooner than later. 

should I change out anything else while I'm at it? I might as well put the parts on that order. 

thanks all!! 

I would put jb wield on it and fill up the oil and test it first

if the small crack is what let the water in and jb wield works you are good to go and there will be no more water 

id the crack can’t be fixed don’t throw away money on a piece of crap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1