Gar, Muskie & Sturgeon. Three Reports.

Moosebunk

Had one of those days in the basement yesterday which started at the desktop around 9:00am and ended there 'bout midnight.  Did go upstairs to fry some of last November's Quinte walleye catch, pour a gin and have a nice family dinner.  The fish was actually fine, I store it with the arctic char, incredibly over-wrapped-up and inside a styrofoam cooler in the freezer.  Seems to keep any burn off, we had 16 month old char last week and it was good too.  Fried the walleye though in a third Shake N Bake, third buttermilk pancake mix and a third Hint of Roasted Garlic crushed Tostitos, the girls really liked it a lot. 

Walleye were one fish I didn't get after this autumn at all. Maybe there's still time but the boat has dug itself pretty deep into the garage now under a blanket of anxious ice fishing gear.  It's a shame I'm outta of walleye though, cause I need a physical exam and work note for a new job but I don't have a family Doc at the moment.  One guy who's offered is always asking for walleye and it slipped the mind that I was gonna pay for that visit with him in fillets.  Co-workers are always after me fish, heck I had to trade char for a CPR recert last fall.  

About that day yesterday though, some time and motivation got the juices flowing to do some writing and it so happened I got caught up on some seasonal articles for the site.  To the "Home Angling" section, reports on gar, muskies and sturgeon were posted because it was a pretty good year of fishing for 'em, some HUGE fish were caught and I figured may as well be a show-off about it.  Easy to read stuff, nothing too artsy, just the blow-by-blows really.

Sooooo, if no one is going to get offended about things, go on ahead and look at some fish if you like.  Click on the titles below to link...

LOVING ALL THAT YOU GAR.

MATTERS OF MUSKIE.

THE STURGEONEERS.

2.jpg?resize=1080,675&ssl=1 

1.jpg?resize=1080,675&ssl=1  

034-scaled.jpg?resize=1080,675&ssl=1

Won't be long gang!  Santa, some ice for our drinks and cheer, then hardwater fun.  See ya out there!

Bunk. 

Edited by Moosebunk
  • Like 3

hmmm may have to give the lake floor around the boat house a rake with a stringer this weekend. this small warm stretch may eat up the new ice that we have. I Lost a rod (no reel thank god) at some point this fall, not sure if it fell off of the boathouse, or overboard at some point

Dont feel too bad about those cold stretches bunk, I pushed through the October early november gails, That 100kmh wind storm, ya i was out fishing musky in it lol cranked blades so hard my reel exploded, nearly went hungry one saturday after spending hours chasing a bite leaving almost not enough time to catch dinner (got lucky marked a walleye and it was a perfect outside of the slot eater) All to just put the boat away without sliming it! November 9th the lower end oil was changed and the batteries pulled out of the rig the navigloo went up and 10 hours later she was buried in a snow squall warnings snow. I guess my big fall g bay musky dreams will have to wait until next year. Ill have to get to the other reports, my boss needs me to work, go figure!

I’m waking up my old tinner on Friday, trick is I gotta get that old 88 suzuki that hasn’t run in two years to fire up. Probably going to spend Friday cleaning the carb and plugs and wiring the boats trolling motor up for one last crack at some giant walleye. 

Mother nature almost had us busting out the short rods, but if she wants to throw a curve ball I plan on swinging at it. At minimum we may get one last meal of pickerel tacos out of it!

As of late all my Pics and Perch come from the fish lady in Port Dover. 17 bucks a pound is actually a lot less than the I don't want to add up price that it costs to catch them. 

I'm saving the reports until I finish reading "The Irishman". Great book and hope a great movie that just came out. Martin Scorsese directed. DeNiro, Peche, Pacino and Ray Romano of all people that has turned out to be a pretty good dramatic actor. . How can it be bad? 

On 11/22/2019 at 4:45 PM, irishfield said:

So there is gonna be a Temagami 2020 Winter report right.... B) Make sure you and Bren have some time off...

Been too long since hanging with your gang of rascals, wrecking your joint, getting stuck in the slush and fishing that beauty lake. The missus will be tricky, she's already away twice between Feb 15 and first week of March, so I imagine with her likely out, you'll withdraw your invite. lmao!  

On 11/22/2019 at 5:30 PM, Gil Levesque said:

Hey Bunk, what is your preferred bait for gar? Lots here in Niagara but never targeted them! Thanx.

Preferred... well, gar are as easy as they come man, just as long as you put it in their face. Cranks are OK.

19 hours ago, limeyangler said:

Amazing Bunk, what great pictures! You have to come to Dryden and teach me how to fish for Muskies, free room and board!

This is my fall roady plan Simon... that just has to get done at some point soon.  Ottawa to Nipigon to Lac Seul to Eagle Lake to LOTW to Nipigon to home.  Figuring a little three weeker or so! And yes, I'd be happy just for a fish for with ya, but free room and board can't be beat either.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:18 PM, irishfield said:

LOL.. yep, withdrawn if Bren isn't coming with you. Thinking something Christmas to Feb time frame if the ice cooperates. A couples trip... where we kinda behave and fish for eyes and whities!

Sound good! keep me posted

On 11/23/2019 at 10:38 PM, chris.brock said:

well said, I agree, I just want it to be September all year long actually

big bunk'n fish as usual Bunk

Probably pick October first, September a close second. Three months of each, just fine.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:56 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

As of late all my Pics and Perch come from the fish lady in Port Dover. 17 bucks a pound is actually a lot less than the I don't want to add up price that it costs to catch them. 

I'm saving the reports until I finish reading "The Irishman". Great book and hope a great movie that just came out. Martin Scorsese directed. DeNiro, Peche, Pacino and Ray Romano of all people that has turned out to be a pretty good dramatic actor. . How can it be bad? 

So your prices for walleye are about the same as ours? no idea what perch.

Saw that title the irishman and thought it was another danny green story.

Great job on the hook removal! I reckon you might have some practice at that………..

One time my dad and I were fishing way back in the Haliburton Highlands. He did not get many days off, and this was a SPECIAL time together for us. Heck, he had even borrowed a Jeep from somebody so we could get back this goat track to a fabled lake that was supposed to be chock-full of brookies. Well, it had lots of fish in it for sure, but they were jumbo perch. And we started catching some beauties. We were fishing from shore, having no boat, and I got snagged on something or other and couldn’t get unsnagged. So I pulled on the line, figuring it would break. It did not break, but my Mepps spinner came back at me at a hundred miles an hour and buried itself into my upper arm. Straight in, barb at 90 degrees to the skin. No way to push it through. And we were a long way from a hospital and I did not want to lose this precious time with my old man. So I got him to fillet the hook out of me. He declared that he was going to puke, and his hand shook pretty bad when he was cutting (and it stung a bit!!!) but he got ‘er done. Thankfully that was NOT a 7/0 hook….

Doug