Barry's Bay?

AKRISONER

Hey Folks,

I just got an invite up to Barry's bay for the weekend and literally I have no idea what the heck we are in for.

What reading I have done so far says that all of the lakes including trout, the madawaska river and Kaminiskeg lake, and cameron lake here hold bass...if such is the case we will catch em...

Even more interesting is that ive read that some of the back lakes also contain troots...Im thinking of bringing the fly rod...is it worth it?

Does anyone care to share their experiences or have any intel on what lake I should be looking at to find some specs?

As you all know i dont eat fish, im just looking to put my fly gear to work. Feel free to PM me if you dont want your info public.

Thanks,

Edited by AKRISONER

midsummer brookies on unfamiliar turf will be a challenge. For starters I wouldn't try and tackle them on the fly rod lol. If you have access to a canoe try and slow troll 10-20 FOW with a small worm harness and a couple big split shot. Fish first light and last light, fish for bass mid day.

midsummer brookies on unfamiliar turf will be a challenge. For starters I wouldn't try and tackle them on the fly rod lol. If you have access to a canoe try and slow troll 10-20 FOW with a small worm harness and a couple big split shot. Fish first light and last light, fish for bass mid day.

do you feel the same way even if its a small pond? why do i keep reading everywhere that they like Brush and cover?

Unfortunately my experience with brookies is only in rivers so when it comes to trying to get them on the fly in a pond im totally in the dark.

We will definitely be chasing bass during the days. Smallies seem to love lunch time.

Kam puts out huge smallies and lots of them.This is one of my fave lakes and really pretty also. P.S. Beware of the trophy Northerns. Just saying.

this is truth.. white big-o's and live target crawfish were the ticket for us the last couple years..

I've stayed up there on Bark lake for a week, and for me, the fishing was very tough. It was hard to even find cover to fish, everyone who was "helping me" told me they were catching walleye trolling in 150ft of water... Of course I tried, and of course, I failed.

My only advice is go into the bakery in town and get yourself some butter tarts. Some of the best I've found in my adventures seeking fish and butter tarts. :)

And if your looking for a fantastic meal head a couple miles east of Barry's Bay to the town of Wilno and go into the Wilno Tavern.

It's exactly 100 miles from my house to there and we go up several times a year for lunch.

I've stayed up there on Bark lake for a week, and for me, the fishing was very tough. It was hard to even find cover to fish, everyone who was "helping me" told me they were catching walleye trolling in 150ft of water... Of course I tried, and of course, I failed.

My only advice is go into the bakery in town and get yourself some butter tarts. Some of the best I've found in my adventures seeking fish and butter tarts. :)

When I was there I had a rental boat with no finder or nav lights so I didn't get to fish at night. The guys who did fish at night did amazing though. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. There are some huge walleye in that lake. Edited by Dutch01

Hey Lew what a place to eat. I have been there many many times. Best Polish food around and all homemade. Have you ever been there on blues night? Think its thurday evenings, good times.

I recall going through Barry's Bay as a teen in the 60's with my parents on the way to a Provincial Park up near Renfrew, I still remember nearly every business had the surname "Yakabuski " in the name so the Polish Food comes as no surprise.

do you feel the same way even if its a small pond? why do i keep reading everywhere that they like Brush and cover?

Unfortunately my experience with brookies is only in rivers so when it comes to trying to get them on the fly in a pond im totally in the dark.

We will definitely be chasing bass during the days. Smallies seem to love lunch time.

Oh they definitely do, but most of that good cover is in shallow water, which is far too warm for them this time of year. They will sneak up into feeding areas during low light hours. Edited by Joeytier

For walleye on bark lake you need to troll open water with leadcore, riggers, or dipsys. Generally 20-30ft down. Stick baits off boards with 3 colour core has always worked for me. Just use a bait that dives the right depth off the core to get where the fish are. There are some big eyes in there. Troll 2-2.5mph

Planerboards and deep diving tail dancers will dive to 30 ft.

Yes, but they don't always want that size TD, so you need the leadcore to get the depth fine tuned for the size of bait they want. They feed on smelts in there.

S.

funny because reefrunner also mentioned the polish camps around their, i guess i am in luck, because im a quarter polish and love perogies!

I bet I don't have a single Polish DNA cell in me and I love Perochki.

The best fishing advice I have ever gotten when we planned meals based on our catches was to bring extra food.