OOD Magazine Lyme article

captpierre

Why I wear a hoodie, even in the warmest of days, fishing a river or creek. Always walking through high grass and what not. Take it off when Im done, throw in the box of the truck. When I get home, it goes straight into the washer. Wife always says what a waste of water. :dunno: I guess I could find a rock on the rivers edge,wash and bash the hoodie to do the job. :whistling:

Your thoughts on this?

I seen many signs today, alerting of this heading north.

I have a good friend battleling Lyme. It's up there with chemo as far as intensity, Lymes no joke.

It certainly can be, but my kiddos "step grandpa" lol has Lyme's. He's 66 I think? And he certainly struggles but you're hardly know.

He still runs the trap line and is probably 80% functional

Just be smart. Long clothing like Brian said, thorough search when ya get home, clean ya clothes!

I know someone that died from Lyme disease, so it's nothing to fool around with. He was in his forties when it took his life.

Unless you catch it right away, you are in for the long treatment. However, it might effect certain people differently. Too many misdiagnosis over the years.

To make sure that you don't get Lyme Disease do this - buy Permethrin - you spray this stuff on your clothing and it is good for around 6 weeks even if you wash the clothing - it actually kills the ticks if they get on your clothing - I spray the pants that I wear when I work on my property - I lay the pants on the ground and spray the pants until they get wet - you let them dry and there is no harm from using the stuff - during hunting season I spray all my clothing - you can buy this stuff on Amazon from Sawyer -

To make sure that you don't get Lyme Disease do this - buy Permethrin - you spray this stuff on your clothing and it is good for around 6 weeks even if you wash the clothing - it actually kills the ticks if they get on your clothing - I spray the pants that I wear when I work on my property - I lay the pants on the ground and spray the pants until they get wet - you let them dry and there is no harm from using the stuff - during hunting season I spray all my clothing - you can buy this stuff on Amazon from Sawyer -

Thanks for info.

Some of the guys on the shooting forums I frequent , were treating their turkey hunting camo with this stuff and reported good results, NOT for use on humans , make your own conclusions as to the safety treating clothing. They put it on the night before so it had a chance to dry.

http://www.tscstores.com/UltraShield-EX-950ml-P17980.aspx#.WUj-s-grLIU

http://absorbine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ultrashield-ex-32oz-spray-label.pdf

Edited by dave524

It's dangerous living out in the country now. Lions, Tigers and Ticks, oh my. Time to get back to the Concrete Jungle maybe and only have to worry about gang warfare and a stray bullet. Imagine turning a tap in the sink and water comes out each and every time, luxury. Had a flood yesterday when a compression fitting popped off the inline heat tracer and emptied the entire water system onto the bedrooms hardwood floor. I give up. Now we have to worry about getting killed by a Tics? Tap out.

Permethrin (and 100% deet) aren't available in Canada. Against the law apparently. I tried ordering some from amazon, basspro, etc, nobody would ship to me.

Anyway, small-time sellers on ebay will ship it to you :).

We have been getting ticks on us just walking through the cut lawn this year or picking up the mail at the side of the road. be very careful.

Your area in the worst I've ever seen. I was in Port Dover for a few days and found at least 10 ticks on my dog.

Permethrin (and 100% deet) aren't available in Canada. Against the law apparently. I tried ordering some from amazon, basspro, etc, nobody would ship to me.

Your area in the worst I've ever seen. I was in Port Dover for a few days and found at least 10 ticks on my dog.

A friends son is in our military stationed in Pettawawa, he gets us 100% Deet. To be used with caution.

In NW Ontario it's perfectly normal to have 30+ per day.

Again, wash your our clothes and shower. Do a check

We get 31+ a day Rick! Beat ya, again. If you say 32 I will say 33 then you say 44, you know how we play it M2. Turkey Point ON was the first place that anyone ever heard of these things down south 20 or more years ago. It started when the Ministry stopped cottagers from cutting beach grass along the shoreline. Good for sand erosion bad for humans hosting a family of Deer Tics.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The livestock fly spray from TSC , that I posted contains Perethrin, maybe you just can't get it in a product for use on humans. Dad used to get 100% Deet when he worked for Bell, nasty stuff, had to wash your hands, it would melt plastic, one steering wheel was never the same after using it :wallbash:

edit: permethrin is extremely deadly to fish, hence the warning on disposing of it down the drain.

Edited by dave524

A friends son is in our military stationed in Pettawawa, he gets us 100% Deet. To be used with caution.

We get 31+ a day Rick! Beat ya, again. If you say 32 I will say 33 then you say 44, you know how we play it M2. Turkey Point ON was the first place that anyone ever heard of these things down south 20 or more years ago. It started when the Ministry stopped cottagers from cutting beach grass along the shoreline. Good for sand erosion bad for humans hosting a family of Deer Tics.

You'll see when ya visit. Im Not playing the numbers game. It's just a fact of life here in the bush