Fish and Game Spot Check

4x4bassin

What other criteria do you think they should use for spot checks?

It may be enough to pull me in, but it was clear with just a quick look the boat was not in the water, so without a doubt at that point they had no probable cause to do a search. but no they felt . what the hell we have him here lets look anyways

they broke the intent of the law and they tried to stomp on my civil rights

i am sure if they block off the 400 and do a search of every vehicle for drugs guns and stolen goods I am sure most would be pissed by the second or third time they did a strip search of their wife

yeah i know but where do you draw the line

I think that goes two ways.

I love seeing them on the water, great chance to bust people drinking, not excercising the regs etc. But the water they have to cover?

Routine stops at key locations nabs poachers

I I'd like to see more on both ends.

About 10km from me, a few years ago, the DNR set up a semi permanent spot on a highway, they nabbed ALOT OF POACHERS.

If I remember correctly, which is up for debate lol, they set up all summer 2015, loman Minnesota.

The locals loved it, tourist not so much.

I think it even had a mandatory boat washing station to prevent invasive species

Public ramps are a great spot to check visitors but the unfortunate fact is that most poaching is probably done by locals which is why presence and enforcement should take place at the source of the infractions.

Public ramps are a great spot to check visitors but the unfortunate fact is that most poaching is probably done by locals which is why presence and enforcement should take place at the source of the infractions.

I'd tend to agree, but I think it varies location to location.

Here we have tons of tourist paying big money to make trips, and they get nabbed more frequently than locals at least from what I hear.

But yeah, probably goes both ways

I wouldn't have stopped, and I don't feel they have any right to search through my stuff either.

If they stopped me afterwards, I would obviously pull over and not give them a hard time, but I wouldn't be comfortable letting them search through all my gear. If I had fish, I'd show them, no question, but they don't need to do a search of all my gear. That's not cool.

S.

It may be enough to pull me in, but it was clear with just a quick look the boat was not in the water, so without a doubt at that point they had no probable cause to do a search. but no they felt . what the hell we have him here lets look anyways

they broke the intent of the law and they tried to stomp on my civil rights

i am sure if they block off the 400 and do a search of every vehicle for drugs guns and stolen goods I am sure most would be pissed by the second or third time they did a strip search of their wife

yeah i know but where do you draw the line

It was clear to you the boat hadn't been in the water, but they didn't know that. They didn't break any laws, they did a vehicle check. I still don't know where your civil rights come into this either, lol.

It was clear to you the boat hadn't been in the water, but they didn't know that. They didn't break any laws, they did a vehicle check. I still don't know where your civil rights come into this either, lol.

You dont think being searched for NO REASON has anything to do with your civil rights? It does mine.

I just dont like the idea of being searched when I am being honest about everything. I get that a lot of people aren't honest, but I am, and being searched for nothing feels like I'm being violated.

S.

I'm with Terry and Sinker on this one. When we give away one of our rights, the next one seems easy to let go as well.

HH

Yep.

Searching for zero reason is def. A reason to be concerned

But im a hypocrite, im fine with boat launch searches(minimal searches)

This roadside check seems like an under prepared gong show

Edited by manitoubass2

If they couldn't tell. When they opened the first door and there was no battery, then no rods would you really keep looking , would you still think they had probable cause to keep looking ....

Well all I can say is , people who don't see the problem with this are part of the problem

If they couldn't tell. When they opened the first door and there was no battery, then no rods would you really keep looking , would you still think they had probable cause to keep looking ....

Well all I can say is , people who don't see the problem with this are part of the problem

So you're upset they did a thorough check of your boat? Do you know how many times these guys are probably lied to by people? lol I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take your word for it.

In my experience it's just licensing hassles.

I've never been bothered by CO's while hunting

It's not the CO's that are the problem , it's the RCMP, the present federal government has given then free rein to make up regulations and decisions concerning classification that should require legislation, they are NOT a legislative body, totally overstepping their mandate.

You believe they didn't have the legal right to search your boat?

If he didn't do anything wrong or arise suspicion. how, or I should say why, would they search you?

No difference in your home being searched IMO

Edited by manitoubass2

If he didn't do anything wrong or arise suspicion. how, or I should say why, would they search you?

No difference in your home being searched IMO

A CO most definetly cannot search your house without a warrant.

Your fish camp if he can claim probable cause yes, but not your house.

And I know guys kick the game warden off their camp deck because he just stopped by to talk

Front the Ontario Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act (i.e. the Law):

Inspection of conveyance

89 (1) A conservation officer may stop a conveyance if he or she has reasonable grounds to believe that stopping the conveyance would assist in determining whether there is compliance with this Act or the regulations. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (22).

Operator to stop

(2) On the conservation officer’s signal to stop, the operator of the conveyance shall immediately stop and produce for inspection any wildlife, invertebrate, fish, document or other thing requested by the officer for the purpose of this Act. 1997, c. 41, s. 89 (2); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (23).

Stop signals

(3) For the purpose of subsection (2), signals to stop include,

(a.) intermittent flashes of red light, in the case of a vehicle;

(b.)intermittent flashes of blue light, in the case of a boat; and

(c.) a hand signal to stop, in the case of a vehicle or boat. 1997, c. 41, s. 89 (3).

It would seem the right to stop and search the vehicle or boat is only based on 'assisting in determining whether there is compliance' with fish and game laws...kind of open ended in my opinion.

As far a whether you should pull into the checkpoint or not, it would seem you are not required to stop for it unless signaled to do so.

Edited by G.mech

A CO most definetly cannot search your house without a warrant.

Your fish camp if he can claim probable cause yes, but not your house.

And I know guys kick the game warden off their camp deck because he just stopped by to talk

I wasn't implying they can search your house, but

If a cop knocks at your door would you allow them to search your home for no reason?

I wasn't implying they can search your house, but

If a cop knocks at your door would you allow them to search your home for no reason?

I kinda got what when I read it again

but

Why would you ask Me that....can't find a suitable smiley for this...and they wouldn't anyway

Edited by Dara