Fish and Game Spot Check

4x4bassin

Yup, it's nice they have these but would be better if they patrolled the waters more.

I think that goes two ways.

I love seeing them on the water, great chance to bust people drinking, not excercising the regs etc. But the water they have to cover?

Routine stops at key locations nabs poachers

I I'd like to see more on both ends.

About 10km from me, a few years ago, the DNR set up a semi permanent spot on a highway, they nabbed ALOT OF POACHERS.

If I remember correctly, which is up for debate lol, they set up all summer 2015, loman Minnesota.

The locals loved it, tourist not so much.

I think it even had a mandatory boat washing station to prevent invasive species

Edited by manitoubass2

I have seen it before and have been stopped a couple of times by them

The one time was about this time of year and I was towing my bass boat home from winter storage.

I had no prop on it no safety equipment. No rods no fishing stuff. Not even electronics. They asked if I had any fish I said no

Then they asked if they could search. And I said no

Then they said I would need to sit there until a warrant arrives to let them search

I said you do understand I it would need to be in the water to have fish on it. And without batteries and rods and what not seems unlikely I would have fish. In the end I let them search. And they asked. If you had nothing to hide why would you not allowed us to search. I said. Because if it's my right to say no. Why would you expect me to say yes.

They seemed upset they found nothing and sent me on my way

This makes my story a Even Steven Story........

WAY back in the mid 70's we were headed back from the Big Nip with a LOAD on of walleyes........the guys we spent the week with ran ahead of us and near our destination we decide to take a detour for some grub...... then next day or two later we heard from the other guys and how they got fined for a couple extra walleyes because of a bad count on their accounts.....and they wanted to know how we made out with our load on.......we had NO IDEA what they were talking about until they better explained themselves...............NEVER again did we venture that way again.

Lesson LEARNED ! ! !

I guess it's a good thing although I'd like to see more of them doing their job in the bush and on the water cause a fishing expedition on the side of the road is just that. A free for all infraction fest.

And for those that truly believe in the "If you have nothing to hide or have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about" mantra. Give your heads a shake Numb Skulls. It's about privacy creep and conditioning you into giving it up without even flinching. If I've done nothing wrong, go get your warrant cause my freedom and rights are worth all the time in the world.

x3. I think it's a good thing that they were out, however like stated before how are you supposed to know to stop if it's not clearly posted. Perhaps some of the people didn't realize they had to pull in until they were past the exit/ where they were supposed to stop. I would have a problem if they pulled me over a demanded to go through my things without a warrant. Can the MNR detain someone long enough to obtain a warrant? I'm aware the 5-0 can. I understand that they're trying to nab poachers but like also said before they should be more organized in their methods imo.

Edited by Musky Plug

WOW

Damed if they do, damed if they dont.

You all forget they are under budget and under staffed.

What ever they can do, is good by me.

And to add to the OP, my co-worker talked to me this morning and mentioned he seen this. Asked what it was all about. From what he described, I told him a check point for over limits/out of season fish or unsafe towing rigs. He also mentioned he seen the two trucks being looked over down from the check point.

I say thank you to them for doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

Yeah, wouldn't you just ONCE like to make the call and hear back they nabbed the culprit??? Once!!! LOL

I got a call back and yes the person was fined. Someone on the lake my parents live on was dragging a Sweedsaw (SP?) behind the boat to remove the weeds from the swimming area from the cottage he rents out. I sent them pic's and a video from my cell. They then called to confirm the address. Then they called and told me the outcome. He ever does it again the fine will be the max they said as he was caught and fined. So yes they do call back when you send digital proof...

They set up checks here fairly often. If you,re fishing you have to be nice and cooperative but if I haven't been fishing you aren't searching me without a warrant

That's like coming out of Walmart with some new tackle and they want to search your car.

They nail lots of tourists when they set up at the border here. It's kind of our entertainment reading the reports the next day

I got a call back and yes the person was fined. Someone on the lake my parents live on was dragging a Sweedsaw (SP?) behind the boat to remove the weeds from the swimming area from the cottage he rents out. I sent them pic's and a video from my cell. They then called to confirm the address. Then they called and told me the outcome. He ever does it again the fine will be the max they said as he was caught and fined. So yes they do call back when you send digital proof...

Wow, guy tries to clear some weeds in front of his dock so his kids can swim and he gets fined for it? Ridiculous!

When we bought our place on Sturgeon there were a few weeds off our dock, 10 years later the weeds were so bad you had a hard time getting a boat through them. We finally had to pay almost $700.00 to get one of those weed harvester things in just to thin the weeds out. After that I bought a weed mill thing ($1650.00) that did a pretty good job of keeping the floating weeds out.

If I found out that someone had reported me for clearing some weeds in front of my dock so my kids/grand kids could swim I'd be pretty pissed!

A road block on a 400 series highway? lol.

So many rebels in this thread. Pull over, and help them do their jobs. If you've got nothing to hide, what's the worst that can happen? They take 20-30mins of your time? Oh the horror!!!

Edited by BillM

They'd have probably got more drinking and driving and other motor vehicle violations than wildlife infractions. And I've seen it closed by the French river in the fall checking hunters.

Why pull in and waist 20min like you stated. IMO it's non of their business.

A road block on a 400 series highway? lol.

So many rebels in this thread. Pull over, and help them do their jobs. If you've got nothing to hide, what's the worst that can happen? They take 20-30mins of your time? Oh the horror!!!

Oh shush, you wouldn't pull in either unless directed lol

I'm concern is each piece of civil rights they remove the easier it is to take the next piece way. I do not believe that fact you are towing a boat is probable cause to search for fish

If that's the case everyone with a penis should be checked every time someone is raped in the country. After all you have the equipment

Two weeks ago, coming back from Gilford; the OPP were doing seat belt checks. They were hiding half way around the on-ramp to the 407, coming off of the 400? I thought for sure there was going to be a pile up; there had to be 50+ cars backed up onto the 400. IMO they were 100X more of a traffic hazard then anyone not wearing a seat belt.

Dan.

I'm concern is each piece of civil rights they remove the easier it is to take the next piece way. I do not believe that fact you are towing a boat is probable cause to search for fish

If that's the case everyone with a penis should be checked every time someone is raped in the country. After all you have the equipment

What other criteria do you think they should use for spot checks?

Oh shush, you wouldn't pull in either unless directed lol

Well yeah, if I didn't know to pull in I wouldn't pull in. But it's not like I'd go all Vanishing Point on them either, lol!

If they wanna pull me over down the road, by all means.

Edited by BillM

Id like to clarify that this was not a blockade of any sorts. it was on the designated truck pull over areas where there is a full on ramp and off ramp divided off of the highway.

I also agree with the tinfoil hat sentiment. Ive been checked by the MNR many times and to be honest wish they checked me more. If you dont like the idea of you being checked, what do you propose they do?

Edited by AKRISONER

I was stopped on our way home at this checkpoint. Honestly I drove by and as the original post stated had no idea if we were supposed to pull in or not. The traffic was fairly steady and I actually couldn't have made it over to pull in if I'd wanted to since I was in the fast lane towing our boat.

Anyways, we were discussing if we should've pulled in or not and a truck with lights flashing pulled us over.

We made it over. The CO who stopped us identified himself, asked for our licenses, asked where we'd been, if we had any fish, etc -- we had only one fish, cleaned by Steve, the owner at Chaudier Lodge. Thankfully, he had left a piece of skin on as we're supposed to, so everything was fine. He checked our livewells, the truck, etc.

I was happy to be stopped and glad to spend the 10 min making sure everything was fine.

Now that I know they do this sort of thing I'll be more prepared next time and won't make them chase me down :)

He was pleasant, to the point, and imo did a fine job of a thorough check.

Had we had anything we shouldn't we would have been caught I'd expect, so that sort of thing may really help people make a good decision who might otherwise just expect it won't matter to not keep proper limits, etc.

Yep, I'm fine with it.

I was stopped on our way home at this checkpoint. Honestly I drove by and as the original post stated had no idea if we were supposed to pull in or not. The traffic was fairly steady and I actually couldn't have made it over to pull in if I'd wanted to since I was in the fast lane towing our boat.

Anyways, we were discussing if we should've pulled in or not and a truck with lights flashing pulled us over.

We made it over. The CO who stopped us identified himself, asked for our licenses, asked where we'd been, if we had any fish, etc -- we had only one fish, cleaned by Steve, the owner at Chaudier Lodge. Thankfully, he had left a piece of skin on as we're supposed to, so everything was fine. He checked our livewells, the truck, etc.

I was happy to be stopped and glad to spend the 10 min making sure everything was fine.

Now that I know they do this sort of thing I'll be more prepared next time and won't make them chase me down :)

Had we had anything we shouldn't we would have been caught I'd expect, so that sort of thing may really help people make a good decision who might otherwise just expect it won't matter to not keep proper limits, etc.

Yep, I'm fine with it.

:thumbsup_anim:

Wow, guy tries to clear some weeds in front of his dock so his kids can swim and he gets fined for it? Ridiculous!

If I found out that someone had reported me for clearing some weeds in front of my dock so my kids/grand kids could swim I'd be pretty pissed!

It wasn't a small area at all! He was clearing out 100' x 200' or so area and he doesn't have kids. Just him...

Yep, I'm fine with it.

Wow, you mean you had a pleasant and normal interaction with a law enforcement professional and carried on about your business after??? UNPOSSIBLE! Next time I suggest you tell him you pay his salary, and if wearing one, flick his tie when you say it! That will guarantee a negative reaction. Next thing you'll be telling me that you where reasonable with him..... In all seriousness, glad it went well, sounds like everyone was reasonable on both ends. Things tend to end well that way! Edited by porkpie