Pike Derby Results

Tjames09

Well thanks for everyones help on here from before, we did alright in our first pike derby, we placed 3rd of 22 teams. We've never fished Georgian Bay before, and it was a bit of guess work finding fish. We actually didn't find fish until 6 hours into the day lol. But once we found them we landed 6 pike in a row. We fished pretty much every bay and island in the Waubaushene area. Water was nice and calm so no issues boating around. Probably could have boated further than we did, but not knowing the water we decided to stay closer to where we started. Water ranged from 53* to 55*.

Anyways, heres our two best fish. We total 78.5" for 3 fish, those both are 27.5"

DSC00310_zpsxjzllz9m.jpgDSC00308_zpsnxmzvyn6.jpg

3rd out of 22 teams. Better than not bad especially on water you never fished. Are you kidding me? Fantastico. You are a lot better looking than I pictured, James, then I saw the next photo. How did the new boat handle? Ant tips for Pike from you now?

Congrats man!

Gonna be up on Gbay myself this weekend just further north...what depth did you end up finding them in?

I find thats how it is in the spring with pike...can be elusive but once you catch 1 you can catch 10 in a row. I had a weekend one time that we found a school and with each fish the size kept increasing, we went from 2-4-8-10-20lber!

what bait ended up being the ticket for ya?

thanks guys, we tried all different depths, and found them in between 3-8 feet. We started at the back of a bay in 3 feet and were catching and kept moving out to deeper water and kept catching.l The fish seemed to be more in the shallow water though, less of them further out we got.

The lure that ended up doing well was spoons. Reeled in really slowly. I tried all my lures at one point or another, and spoons was the only one that caught.

We saw a big school of gar pike (fairly big ones), just right beside our boat in shallow calm water. At one point my lure hit the side of the gar and it didnt even flinch, they were not interested in lures lol. Would have been neat to catch a Gar Pike, but they just swam on.

thanks guys, we tried all different depths, and found them in between 3-8 feet. We started at the back of a bay in 3 feet and were catching and kept moving out to deeper water and kept catching.l The fish seemed to be more in the shallow water though, less of them further out we got.

The lure that ended up doing well was spoons. Reeled in really slowly. I tried all my lures at one point or another, and spoons was the only one that caught.

We saw a big school of gar pike (fairly big ones), just right beside our boat in shallow calm water. At one point my lure hit the side of the gar and it didnt even flinch, they were not interested in lures lol. Would have been neat to catch a Gar Pike, but they just swam on.

not surprising, funny that after all of this time my best baits in the spring a lot are just good old spoons.

I see gar all of the time, to the point that they are even curious enough to come right up to the boat and stare right at our baits...they just never commit. Bunk even confirmed for me that we did everything right to get them to hit, but i guess i just dont have his touch.

glad to see you having success so early in the new boat...you get my vote for OFC rookie of the year lol

Congrats! What was the longest pike in the tourney?

I believe only either 29" or 31", somewhere around there, not huge, and not much bigger than the ones we pulled in. Lots of people bringing in pike in the low 20's.

When nothing works try to remember what some oldtimer told you they used before you were born, like the tried and true Red Daredevil or 5 of Diamonds. I don't think it's even legal now but my trophy 24 lb. Northern out of Klotz Lake came on a whole dead Smelt.