Trolling vs Casting

LittleWorm

More then possible trolling, again it all depends on the lake, time of year and what structure the fish are holding against. When those walleyes are tucked into the weed edges, you won't find a better approach then trolling those edges with harnesses, etc. You could drop shot, but you'd be covering so much less water.

Good point. One inland lake I fish with my dad in July has a weedbed that stetches about 300 yards along shore in 7-8fow, trolling spinner on the edge back and forth works well enough that's it's all we do and said lake Edited by manitoubass2

i dont care what anyone says but trolling will never be as fun as feeling a fish smash your bait on retrieve...

any person thats gonna tell me trolling for pike is more fun than fishing topwater is on drugs

Edited by AKRISONER

We only troll when we get from one spot to another and I haven't had much success with trolling.

Any tips on how to troll properly? I don't have any fancy equipment like planar boards though.

It is a bit more complicated than that? Species? Waters? time of year? A weed filled lake is generally harder to troll in, trolling for walleyes in Lake Erie can be much different than trolling for walleyes up north?

i dont care what anyone says but trolling will never be as fun as feeling a fish smash your bait on retrieve...

any person thats gonna tell me trolling for pike is more fun than fishing topwater is on drugs

For pike no, but have you ever had a 30lb king smash a dipsy, scream 400yrds off line off before you can even get it out of the holder? lol it's a riot :)

Funny you mention trolling for pike, but my biggest was taken trolling (48.5in) :)

It is a bit more complicated than that? Species? Waters? time of year? A weed filled lake is generally harder to troll in, trolling for walleyes in Lake Erie can be much different than trolling for walleyes up north?

This was my point earlier...there's no 1 answer. The bottom line is, trolling works best when the target species is roaming...ie following baitfish. Salmon are a great example and walleye that are using weedlines or points to find baitfish. Trolling is a great technique when it's done with precision and purpose but the truth is, it gets a bad rap because most people troll when they don't know where the fish are and think driving around until they accidentally get bit is a good idea.

This was my point earlier...there's no 1 answer. The bottom line is, trolling works best when the target species is roaming...ie following baitfish. Salmon are a great example and walleye that are using weedlines or points to find baitfish. Trolling is a great technique when it's done with precision and purpose but the truth is, it gets a bad rap because most people troll when they don't know where the fish are and think driving around until they accidentally get bit is a good idea.

Exactly!!

I like to troll if my spots aren't producing. Trolling covers much more water and you can always stop to cast when you locate fish. I was pike fishing recently and we caught all the pike trolling accept for one. I will probably try trolling for walleye this weekend just because the water is so high and the fish will probably be spread out. The switch to jigging once we locate some.

When we are casting from the boat, we are moving pretty quick with the trolling motor. Casting like crazy covering lots of water til we find where they are, then we really work the area hard. I see no sense in moving along at a snails pace. When trolling lakers, we will cover alot of water and rework areas that we have marked a good concentration of fish. If they dont seem very active, we will plant our self's over them and jig. Not to often though, do we need to jig. I will work the baits on the riggers. Playing the chase game. One more day , then time to play with them greasers. :Gonefishing::D

Oh. So say, we are trolling for pike in the spring in one of the western Kawartha lakes. What we usually do (without much success) is move on our trolling motor really slowly while keeping our spoons/spinners about 10 meters behind the boat. Not sure what else we could be doing there. :)

Trolling is an art. If you want to catch pickerel, I suggest you either learn about bottom bouncing or inline weights to get you a few feet off bottom. Another very effective way to work a weed line is to drag a small worm harness behind a walking sinker along the weed edge. Pull it very slowly with the trolling motor, just enough to keep the blades spinning. You can also use a slow death hook, but in the kawarthas you will catch a lot of panfish doing this. You'll still get em on harnesses, but maybe not as much. You can easily work structure while trolling. You just need to mark it and fish a presentation that allows for sharp turns and rapid adjustment. A bottom bouncer or a 3 way rig trolled rod in hand and I can cross a piece of structure many times and work every inch of it. If I was trolling a plug with 100 feet of line out, it's not so easy. Again, many people consider trolling just throwing the junk in the water and waiting until you find fish. Sometimes (not always) on the Great Lakes that is all that it is. Most smaller feature packed lakes, and you will find specific areas that hold fish and then you need to pick away at them. It's not for everyone, but if you figure it out it can be very productive.

Edited by porkpie

Whom ever is running the boat decides! The passenger should be ready for both.

Whom ever "owns" the boat decides.

Oh. So say, we are trolling for pike in the spring in one of the western Kawartha lakes. What we usually do (without much success) is move on our trolling motor really slowly while keeping our spoons/spinners about 10 meters behind the boat. Not sure what else we could be doing there. :)

I would say that you aren't letting enough line out for starts. At 10 meters your lure is close to the prop wash that will effect the swim of the tackle and may spook fish. Now on the other hand if you are trolling for Musky you "might" want your presentation in the prop wash. Like has been said here "it all depends", many things to consider. A Dipsy simply takes the lure to the side of a boat and controls depth. They are not only for big lake longlining. Invest in a few "mini" Dipsy's, I don't know why more inland lake guys like on the Kawartha's don't use them. The small ones are about 2" in diameter, not sure the number 1 or 3.

Speed is so important in trolling I can't stress it enough. But what speed, 1.5 miles an hour, 3 or 4 MPH, or anything in between. Before you let line out, don't cast the line out let it out beside the boat. I don't know how many times I trolled with a bait that wasn't tracking properly because a hook or swivel was fouled up. Before you let the line out let enough line out where you can see how the plug or spinner etc. is tracking in the water. If you like it look at your speed, if it doesn't look right adjust your speed. A ruke of thumb here longlining on Erie for Pics and Trout is 1.5 to 2.0 MPH for worm harnesses, for minnow baits and spoons 2.3 to 3 MPH, of course that all depends on what the fish want. Play with speeds and when they hit make note of your speed. Don't pick a speed and stay with it, change it up, speed up, looks like a bait trying to get away from a predator, slow down, looks like an injured baitfish. Make subtle turns, zig zag, stop the engine and put it back in gear. I have never seen baitfish go in the exact same direction for long periods of time and maintain the same speed. Think like a baitfish and think like a predator fish. Trolling isn't going for a boat ride.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Damn, trolling sounds complicated! Thanks, guys, I will try to experiment with it this spring/summer.

Man, and I thought what could be simpler than trolling - just throw out your spoon, slow down and eat something. :)

LOL, please don't take me as an expert, I have never fished anywhere in Ontario before the June bass opener, and the waters I have fished there as destinations are extremely limited, the Kawartha lakes never made it on the list.

Water depths? Pike spawn early, if you are familiar with the lakes? look for areas that may be spawning areas for them or with early weed growth. Shallow coves, bays, flats with deeper water access, my idea would be to keep a lure running just above the weeds or shallower areas, with cooler water temps they probably haven't moved to far from them after the spawn.

A spinner or spoon doesn't seem like a bad choice of lures, but mixing in crankbait or lure that has a defined running depth might not hurt?

Our northern pike fishing is very limited here in Ohio, there are areas off of Lake Erie were I had a reasonable expectation of hooking one in April and early May, but as soon as the water started to warm they were gone.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Damn, trolling sounds complicated! Thanks, guys, I will try to experiment with it this spring/summer.

Man, and I thought what could be simpler than trolling - just throw out your spoon, slow down and eat something. :)

LOL, that used to be Walleye fishing on Lake Erie! Head out to the island of floating boats, they had already located the schools of fish, dial in the proper depth, place your rod in the rod holder, and eat a sandwich while waiting for a hit.