Comparing Kawartha Walleye Fishery

jimmer

I just wanted to compare anglers opinions on walleye fishing in the kawarthas. The reason I ask is that some of the younger crowd say the walleye fishing is great, yet some of us older anglers might not think that way because of the memories from as early as 10 years ago. I had seen a slight increase in smaller walleye last year and hope that the population starts to recover. The countdown is on, but my feeling is opening will be a tough one due to the water levels and temps.

Well last year for me on my folks lake was either BIG one's well over the slot more so than keepers. Yeah I still got the odd feed here and there but not as much as I had in other years. Not to many under's last year either. Now Sturgeon lake on the other hand was a lot off keepers and under's with very few over the slot for me and my buddy.

Edited by GBW

Hey Jimmer,

Good question. IMHO the Walleye pop is way down on a few lakes e.g. Tri-lakes but have not been closed like was done w Scugog.

Personally I don't do that great until the milfoil overtakes the thin cabbage usually in June sometime.

Walleye Guy

Walleye populations in most K Lakes have went through the decline, where most fish caught were big ones, and recruitment was poor, likely in part due to Black Crappie, and environmental changes, but that population(Black Crappie) as well has peaked, and found balance, as most invasive species due, more recruitment, has been noted, and populations have stabilized, with all year classes showing up in the mix, except Scugog where recruiment is very poor or next to nil, i do believe it will rebound somewhat, but no walleye fishery in the K Lakes will ever be back to the glory days of 30 years ago, again we have better equipment to locate structure, and GPS to take us back there, rods reels tackle line etc have all improved immensely, more knowlegable, and versatile angling pressure, where most anglers realize they have to adapt, to be successful, and the ones who do catch fish, and the ones who dont adapt, have poorer results. Find the food, and you find the fish, and dont forget your bucktail jigs,

I like the walleye fishing now over 30 years ago on all the Kawrathas .

There was a bazillion 16 inch walleye 30 years ago. Now you never know what just hit could be 1 lb could be 8lb. Way more fun.

What has changed is water clarity and there for fish location.

I like the walleye fishing now over 30 years ago on all the Kawrathas .

There was a bazillion 16 inch walleye 30 years ago. Now you never know what just hit could be 1 lb could be 8lb. Way more fun.

What has changed is water clarity and there for fish location.

I agree with you Garnet. I think the change in water clarity has changed the location for the Walleye. Weed growth has changed a lot too. Black Crappie have also impacted things somewhat.

Ontario's population has more than doubled since 1960, and added 5 million or so since 1980. Since the majority of that population growth happened in southern Ontario you would expect local lakes and nearby resort lakes to be affected?

You are right but fishing licence sales are decreasing for a while now

You are right but fishing licence sales are decreasing for a while now

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/16-002-x/2008002/t/5212688-eng.htm

An aging population could explain part of that? The chart shows the average age for anglers in 2005 as 46 for males and 43 for females? I would have to assume if those ages are the average a substantial portion of people purchasing them back then are now in an age range were they are no longer needed?

jimmer just speaking from experience here, on Upper buckhorn my friend has been fishing the lake for his entire life and catches more small eyes now than ever.

We were getting consistent incidental catches every time we went out...this could perhaps also be due to a slight change in tactics though where my friend is fishing less slop and more open water for bass.

If the walleye population is down in some of the lakes, why doesn't the MNR look at potentially stocking the lakes so ensure the population can fully rebound?

Stocking walleye is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. If you can't address the root causes of your fisheries decline, artificially propping up the population up with stocking is a wasteful, short-sighted solution.

Stocking walleye is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. If you can't address the root causes of your fisheries decline, artificially propping up the population up with stocking is a wasteful, short-sighted solution.

Absolutely correct, and a great wording as well, and i like your thinking Garnet, just didnt want to say it, 15 to 20 odd years ago the Rice Lake Walleye tourney was won each year with 42 to 45 pounds of eyes for 2 days, which was a 4 to 5 pound average, with usually a larger anchor fish in the mix, so they were not all dinks, at least not on Rice

Maybe

Also young people are less interested

Prefer their screens to reality

I agree sir, but as a geezer they have entertainment options a lot of us older folks never had. It's easier to get most young people to go tubing, jet skiing, water skiing, boating, than fishing?

Never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

It's true just before the crash I finished 3rd with 37 lbs. All the walleyes where 3.3 and then big stuff.

I had 1 6lber Jimmy Lord had a 6 and a 7 and John McDonald had 6,7,8 but the fishery was un balanced. These It is more balanced and you just don't no what your next bite will be.

I understand patterns changing and we all try to adapt, it's in the spring that I really notice the change around the post spawn areas. They got hit hard for a few years around my place and we eventually saw the numbers drop, along with zebra mussels and the subsequent water clarity changing have an impact. I don't believe that the Ministry will ever support re-stocking. Walleye are not natural to the area in the first place and expensive to raise fro stocking. Last spring, I either caught fish over or under the sloth the off slot fish thrown in.

I wonder how the Ministry would look at stocking if the funds came from the corporate world???