Last year a pair of robins built a nest on my back deck up against the house just beneath a gazebo canopy kind of thing. Eventually our cat figured out it could get at them by getting on top of the gazebo canopy. The miracle of nature/birth is beautiful and all that but it's also potentially a real hassle, I found it quite stressful and time consuming trying to safeguard these robins and their eggs/young from the cat. Long story short, robins are back and seem determined to rebuild in the exact same spot. Cat seems happy about it. Me not so much. Although I felt heartless about it I knocked down the nest mid build this time, trying to do them a favour really. They are unstoppable. I have no idea if it's the same pair of birds or its just a really sweet piece of real estate but they will instantly rebuild. So I was going to ask how many times will they do this before they find a new spot but it's probably a moot point, buy the time I finish this long winded post they've probably rebuilt and I guess I give up.

I realize it would be a great excuse to get rid of the cat. That polydactyl bugger is intent on wrecking every bit of furniture in the house but that's a whole nother story/post.

Can you put something in the place where they are building? I did that on the inside curve of a downspout and that worked for me.

Our neighbour had robins trying to nest on the inside curve of there downspout as well. They took a small chunk of chicken wire squashed it up into a ball and fastened it to the spot with some string. The robins gave up and moved on.

it an annual rite of spring, Joe vs the Robins. They like to nest on the under the decking of my main floor deck. They have been doing this since I moved in 9 years ago. They can build it pretty quickly, to the point where I have to check and destroy daily. It's not the nest itself that is bothersome, it's the mess they leave within a 10 foot radius of the nest.

HH

many years ago we had a pair in an apple tree about 5 feet off the ground. THey built and no problems. Our kids love seeing the mother on the nest and she didn't do anything. We actually sat by the tree.

I went out one day and she wasn't on the nest so I did some things and as I was getting close to the tree, I got a "hit" on my head brushed it off and saw blood, and this robin flying around!

I though it was a rock thrown by kids. It was the mother!

Once the nest was empty it came down.

MY kids have had them in a hNging flower pot (she went to water it and it came out in full force, no more hanging baskets) and on the porch light. Nature is what it is.

Most years I'm fighting them at my trailer. I knock the nest down, come back the next weekend and its been rebuilt. Last year instead of knocking the nest down I left it up; but I popped 3 or 4 mothballs in the nest. The birds gave up and went elsewhere, coincidence I'm not sure?

Dan.