New Humminbird compatible with old transducer and power?

Tjames09

I bought a Helix 7 DI/GPS today to replace the Humminbird 587CI DI unit on my new boat. The power supply cord turned the unit on, but wondering if the power supply and transducer already wired on the boat will work with the new unit. The old unit was down imaging, and the new unit is also down imaging. I compared the transducer side by side and the look near identical. I would rather not re run all the wires if it doesnt need to be.

Should work ok. I am going to use my old 385 transducer with my helix 5 portable on my sportspal this summer. Might as well save the new one and use the old one till it dies. They look identical and have the same model number. The power cords are the same, I didn't change out the cord in my portable pack and used it all winter.

Edited by porkpie

i thought only the helix 9 was compatable for networking not the 7 ???? not sure but I remember hearing something about it...maybe need a firmware update ???

Sorry, I dont want to network them. I want to use the cables already on the boat rigged up in the console. I dont want to re run all the wires for power and transducer when they are already there. I want to know if the old power and old transducer will work fine with my new unit.

Transducer get old and weak. If I had nice new transducer running old crap would not be option.

Go down to the dollar store get 1/8 poly rope. Use your current transducer cable to fish rope back to old transducer. Now attach new cable and 1 rope with electric tape. Do a good job no sharp corners, a roll of tape is cheap. Pull your fish rope your new cable and the rope you leaving for the next time.

Easy beasy.

Edited by Garnet

Probably works. Why don't you just call Humminbird and ask?

However considering you have a new transducer, it's not very difficult to install, I'd just use it. Then the old unit is complete with transducer that you can sell or reuse elsewhere.

Transducer get old and weak. If I had nice new transducer running old crap would not be option.

Go down to the dollar get 1/8 poly rope. Use your current transducer cable to fish rope back to old transducer. Now attach new cable and 1 rope with electric tape. Do a good job no sharp corners, a roll of tape is cheap. Pull your fish rope your new cable and the rope you leaving for the next time.

Easy beasy.

/\ and you then have a back up if that new one get's damaged somehow.

Call Radio World.

You'll get a straight answer.

Should, could and maybe are not what you want to hear.

Probably works. Why don't you just call Humminbird and ask?

However considering you have a new transducer, it's not very difficult to install, I'd just use it. Then the old unit is complete with transducer that you can sell or reuse elsewhere.

I talked to Humminbird, they said it works no issue.

I had it out today, found the DI kind of grainy though, not very crisp. Could be the default settings, not sure yet. It didnt really seem to show a nice "tree" like you get in their promo lol.