Snapping Turtle Harvest

Jon

True story, around here, indiginous from on harvesting any turtle, but especially snapping turtles.

To them, we live on turtle island. Which is the Americas. No idea how they've known this for thousands of years, but look on the map and you'll know why they call it turtle island.

I once found a dead snapper on the beach in Porter's inlet on rainy lake. I was gonna keep it, was beautiful! I grabbed the huge hollowed out she'll only to get stung about 50 hornets that had taken up residence lol.

The place I post alot of shore fishing pics from, is on the "turtle of Manitou". I've shown it too Brian aka Wormdunker. I needed special permission from elders to fish or even go there. And every spring we bring berries and gifts to the turtle for protection and thanks. We also fill a water pail and float it down the river. Im not sure why though??? I should probably ask

If they are endangered then they need protection. Down here they are not and they make a delicious soup. There are lots of different animals that some look at as food and other don't. If you harvest from the land and use it then I feel it is the correct way to use resources. If you are just killing them then I feel it is a crime against nature.

Art

If they are endangered then they need protection. Down here they are not and they make a delicious soup. There are lots of different animals that some look at as food and other don't. If you harvest from the land and use it then I feel it is the correct way to use resources. If you are just killing them then I feel it is a crime against nature.

Art

Man I wanted to like it so bad lol. I've ate some crazy foods and snapping turtle just isn't good.

If you like it im assuming it's just cooking technique, but holy man I'd rather eat raw beaver, if it's cleaned properly it doesn't taste like fish ????

Edited by manitoubass2

All in the cooking it needs to be cleaned with only muscle meat and then slow stewed in a red gravy. Served on a bed of rice mmmm mmmm good.

Art

The red gravy is a fantastic lubricant for the meat. Keeps things nice and moist Edited by manitoubass2

i signed a petition a while back to try stop their harvest...it seemed bloody ridiculous that they were still allowing a threatened species to be harvested anyways.

Glad to see some action in effect.

Snappers are nowhere near being a threatened species...

I see hundreds of them a year without even looking, and I've never met a single person in my life that ever actually harvests them. Doesn't seem so ridiculous to me. I'd be happy to try it actually.

Snappers are nowhere near being a threatened species...

I see hundreds of them a year without even looking, and I've never met a single person in my life that ever actually harvests them. Doesn't seem so ridiculous to me. I'd be happy to try it actually.

In NW Ontario there are millions. It's rediculous really.

But im not losing sleep on a ban.

Harvesting them here is still super rare

I don't think you would like to know just how many contaminants are in a snapping turtle. The government tested some in a lake close to me with alarming results...

Are you talking about Lake Niapenco ?? that is a one of deal with that fire fighting foam from the Hamilton Airport training. It and the Welland River are the only spots where that is a factor.

I don't think you would like to know just how many contaminants are in a snapping turtle. The government tested some in a lake close to me with alarming results...

I'd imagine you are correct.

300 year old meat probably picks up a lil of this and a lil of that along the way

Some people don't like moose, some bear, some even rabbits.

But for the government to just randomly prohibit hunting like they did with spring bear a few years back is just wrong.

The government works for the people. To just impose anything without an explanation is wrong.

Some people don't like moose, some bear, some even rabbits.

But for the government to just randomly prohibit hunting like they did with spring bear a few years back is just wrong.

The government works for the people. To just impose anything without an explanation is wrong.

Agreed

Man I wanted to like it so bad lol. I've ate some crazy foods and snapping turtle just isn't good.

If you like it im assuming it's just cooking technique, but holy man I'd rather eat raw beaver, if it's cleaned properly it doesn't taste like fish

I've ate it a few times (one time fried, in soup other 2 times) and it was great every time. That said, harvest methods and preparation make a huge difference with the final outcome of pretty much any animal we'd consider eating. Just look at how many people claim moose or deer is disgusting, when in fact it is delicious. How about fish that wasn't handled properly and tastes/smells fishy? You just ate some turtle that was prepared by someone who didn't have a clue what they were doing, that's all.

Seems to me like their harvest has been stopped due to emotional reasons and people who don't have a clue, much like the spring bear hunt was.

As for being endangered in Ontario, nope.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/snapping-turtle

Status Special Concern

“Special Concern” means the species lives in the wild in Ontario, is not endangered or threatened, but may become threatened or endangered due to a combination of biological characteristics and identified threats.

Edited by ch312

Turtle meat is a treat that you either like or not. The amount of work to clean and the cooking time makes it easy to take a pass on. I bet we could get the same reaction to people who eat squirrel and rabbit because it is a food we have to work for. I bet that chicken would not be eaten nearly as much if it needed to be killed, cleaned and cooked at your house.

Art