Do I want a two stroke or 4 stroke?

Rizzo

Hole shot can last a lot more that 2-3 seconds if the motor does not have adequate torque. Good hole shot is more important to me than the highest top end speed. It's not about compensating for anything; I just want my boat to be up on plane when I am driving it.

Hasn't Honday been making four strokes for most if not all of those fifty years?

Lund Fury 1600. 40 horse 4 stroke. 4 blade Spitfire Mercury prop.

Three grown men and all of our gear. Boat literally jumps out of the water and onto plane in the blink of an eye.

Tops out at just under 30 mph @ 6000 rpm.

Honda has been making 4 strokes for over fifty years but it's been a slow progression from small portable fishing motors

(7.5 thru 10 hp) to what's available today.

https://marine.honda.com/company/about-us

call me crazy... but sounds like another reason for a 4 stroke? then they buy the gas? But then....I'm a 4 stroke motor person - not that two strokes don't have their positives - 4 stroke - just easier, no smell, no oil slicks, no measuring, or adding oil on the water. I remember when I used to ride motocross the two strokes kicked :asshat: . Couldn't be beat. Then came something called the Elsinore 4 stroke by Honda. and the difference in response changed - at least for smaller bore engines. Its like the aluminium versus 'glass discussion - there are damn good motors in each category - buy the one you like best and at least then if something does go pear shaped........ you own it. I got a 4 stroke Suzuki 20 for a kicker,( only weighs 10 lbs more than the 10 hp, 4 stroke btw) My first boat had a 2 stroke suzi. Both great motors.

There is NO smoke from a E-TEC outboard and they just got a a lot better overall with the G2 . . . . Do some research on them and you will be blow way and might even buy one the next time around.

Hole shots are for drag racers and tournament fishermen. Quiet, economical and reliable 4 strokes are the way to go. Four blade propeller technology has improved low end performance. (getting up on plane with a heavy load) Proper horsepower to weight ratio is the key. Been running outboards for over fifty years, Like Fish Farmer, I too wish four strokes had come along much sooner in life.

There is NO smoke from a E-TEC outboard and they just got a a lot better overall with the G2 . . . . Do some research on them and you will be blow way and might even buy one the next time around.

Not sure why you chose to QUOTE Fish Farmer and myself. Neither of us made mention of SMOKE! To be honest when I first started running four strokes, I missed the smell of a two stroke in the morning.

Still able to get my fix from my chainsaw, leaf blower and whipper snipper.

All ready "blown away" by the four strokes I have had and currently own. (Suzuki 15, Yamaha 20 and a Mercury 40)

Sorry. No E-TECH in my future. Especially if the appearance of the G2 trickles down to their smaller outboards. Gotta be the ugliest thing on the water. Dreamed up by some kid and his Lego set.

Edited by Roe Bag

hmm, me thinks you may suffer from short attention span? Read the whole post, perhaps, before those fingers hop out of the saddle and start spraying those who choose to contribute to a discussion on an adult level? And yes,I have been on the water with an Etec. Nice motor. However, to claim that it is better than a 4 stroke of comparable vintage, well, that is your opinion. One I don't share it. As I said - its a matter of choice, there are good motors regardless of what you select. ..trolling is for catching fish, try it sometime.Shame how instead of answering the OPs question you prefer to get out the spoon so often, eh? how's those bearings?

Thanks for all the input. We took possession today so naturally had to sneak up there after work tonight, couldn't stay tho, have to work tomorrow. The ice is fully off the lake moon glimmering off the water...a good feeling! Now that I know the ice is off gotta get this boat thing figured out!

One more thing to consider is that if you go with a 9.9 you need not register the boat, so a good sized 12ft will do you fine for fishing, but it sure won't tow a tube much but if the kids are fairly young then they'll be happy.

A 14 ft boat with a 15 will cost considerably more as well.

Cheers

just wondering how an engine can have NO smoke? We have a 2 stroke Yamaha and a 4 stroke Suzuki; prefer the 4 stroke with no oil to worry about and much quieter

Edited by fishboy

Thanks for all the input. We took possession today so naturally had to sneak up there after work tonight, couldn't stay tho, have to work tomorrow. The ice is fully off the lake moon glimmering off the water...a good feeling! Now that I know the ice is off gotta get this boat thing figured out!

No crappies, si my road trip will not happen til,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

CONGRATS AGAIN ROG.

I know you have been looking long and hard for the family get away spot.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/engines/portables/portables.html#tab=1

Go new, you'll have a warranty and you'll know it wasn't abused.

The Evinrudes are sweet as are the Honda .

In that size range, the Evinrudes are just rebranded Tohatsus; just like the Mercurys. For some reason, the Evinrudes were almost double the price of the other motors.

If you can find an early 2000's Nissan 2

Stroke 9.8 you'll have a very reliable motor. I bought one about 8 years ago for duck hunting and we have since put it on the cottage tinny once the jonnyrude died. Less than 60lbs and runs great, very little smoke with amsoil. The engine is made by tohatsu as well.

funny you two mention it....I have been specifically looking for a nissan 9.8 or a yamaha, although open to other options if necessary. Their is a yamaha out there...but its a 20 hp and a long shaft...so needs a 14 footer with high transom...haven't found a cheap one of those yet so haven't acted on the motor.

dont know if mentioned but weight distribution is huge factor on small boat

put a 9.9 merc 4 stroke on my 12ft tinner when i got in by myself in near sank had to wire a 27 series battery to the front to make it sit somewhat level with one person in it.

Whats wrong with the 15 Honda? I thought they were supposed to be great?

Not the motor, the boats not made for that weight.

If you're referring to my Jon the boat is not the problem, my Jon is made by Alumacraft and is rated for a 25 HP.

It not a bad motor it`s just heavy for me to maneuver, I plan on trading it for the first good 9.9 that comes around...

The newer 4 strokes may not last for decades like some of the 2 strokes from the 80's. The marine mechanic by my cottage has seen quite a few 4 strokes (different brands) about 12 years old that are basically worn out to the point they're not worth fixing.