Do I want a two stroke or 4 stroke?

Rizzo

We recently got a waterfront property, so now I have need for a tinny to keep up there both for my use, and if we rent the place, something for the renters. I plan to get an aluminum in the 12-14 foot range, with a motor somewhere in the 9.9 to 15 hp range. Its not a big lake, but want something with enough pep to maybe tow one of my kids (one at a time!) on a tube once in a while. They are young, don't need too much of a thrill. But for the most part...trolling around (also with the kids) for an hour or two here and there. Its been a while since I owned a 2 stroke, but I think I am leaning that way. Having said that...very open to suggestions on both 2 vs 4 stroke, specific manufacturers and also the vintage of the motor. Was hoping to get something maybe 10 years old...but see lots of motors from the 1980's that guys are charging huge dollars for. Are the 80's motors bulletproof or something? I am stunned to see what people are asking for them on Kijiji. Almost has me wondering if "they don't make em like the good old days" because prices of 1980's motors seem almost the same as early 2000's. Then again...just because guys are asking $900 for a 35 year old 9.9 doesn't mean they are getting it!

Rizzo - you may as well spend the extra few bucks and buy a new engine. You're right in that old, small outboards really hold their value, and you pay almost as much for a 30 year old 9.9 or 15 as you will for a new one. People ask that much money because they will get it - especially at this time of year. That being the case, you may as well spend the extra couple of bucks and get a new engine with a full warranty. Plus then you have no nauseating exhaust fumes ... no annoying fuel leaks ... no oil slicks every time you start it up ... no annoying rattling and vibration ... and way better fuel economy. Hit a rock or damage it somehow, and parts are readily available, the dealer will have it in stock. That's not always the case with old engines.

If you want a new two-stroke, the only option is the Evinrude E-TEC 15, since they're the only two-stroke manufacturer in our market and they don't make anything smaller. This engine is actually a de-tuned 25, and it weights 181 pounds. As a result, they don't sell many of them, mostly as kickers for guys who have big E-TECs as their main power on big walleye boats.

Among 15 horsepower four-strokes, the Merc is 115 pounds, the Yamaha is 111 pounds, the Suzuki is 97 pounds, and the Honda is 103 pounds. All of them are outstanding engines, and all of them will last a lifetime with reasonable care and maintenance.

No, they don't make 'em like they used to. The new engines are so much better than the outboards from the 1980s it's not even funny - it's like comparing a new car to the one your parents drove when you were a little kid. Given the small price difference, buying new is a no-brainer.

If you have a 12-foot boat, get the 9.9. If you go with a 14 footer, get the 15 hp. Cost for the 9.9 is a little less than for a 15, but remember - both hold their value like crazy, and 30 years from now you can probably sell it to some guy for more than you paid for it. You know, the way the guys on Kijiji flogging 30 year-old engines are doing right now.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

as a current user of a 88 suzuki...i will stand behind the sentiment that they just dont make em like they used to.

1 pull at -10 and the thing is purring like a kitten. Engine starts running like crap? Spray out the carb with some solvent, throw a lil premium and seafoam in...vroom vroom

maybe todays 2 stroke outboards are the same? maybe this is all just a stigma?

I will say the new 4 stroke 175 yammy we got last year...oh baby that thing is niiiiceeee

I agree with Akrisoner here. They don't make them like the used too! Also I have an 80's 2 stroke Evinrude 25 HP for my 14, the engine runs mint, there is more then enough new, aftermarket and used parts out there that finding something when I break it (*knock on wood*) will be easy.

That being said I agree with you that the used older motors are not cheap and the price can get up there, I spent $900 on my 25 HP. Best off to keep an eye on Kijiji or head up north and find a "Mom and Pop" marina or small engine shop. 90% that old guy working there has 10 motors out back he could sell you. My buddy father in law has a place like that on the 127 North of Bancroft. I got my boat and motor there and couldn't be happier.

Most of the older motors are pretty bullet proof too, for me that says it all.

Buying new does give you a full life for the motor but the way I look at it, the parts are more expensive when it does break down. But they are nice and shiny :0

2 Stroke over 4 stroke all the way, mixing fuel is easy and the engines are lighter.

Edited by Korber

I still run 2 older 2 strokes. No reason to replace them, so I can't justify a new one. I keep telling myself its time for an upgrade, but just can't justify paying big bucks for something that's going to do the same thing.

S.

I have a mid 1980's Johnson 15 2 stroke that I use often.

The advantage is it's light and easy to put on a boat. Packs a good punch for its size too. Using proper oil mixtures it doesn't smoke. Properly looked after these don't require a lot of maintenance. Most common parts still available too.

These old engines hold a lot of value because of those reasons.

I run a 1989 Evinrude 150 and while it gets bad gas milage I am not tempted to get a new one. I like that I can work on it when it needs it (not often). It runs like a scalded dog and it weighs less than a new 150 either 2 or 4 stroke. I am maxed out weigh wise on my Ranger so I decided to rebuild it. I was able to easily locate all of the parts needed and as I was rebuilding it I found out it was actually a GTX150 under the GT150 hood.....Bonus. I restore older cars and motorcycles and to me the late 70's to late 80's was the golden age for serviceable and reliable engines. BTW if you didn't know Bernie Giesler of "Giesler cedar boats on Lake Nipissing" has been restoring OLD motors and has a few fine looking restored boats he is nice enough to show every once in a while.

Art

I still run 2 older 2 strokes. No reason to replace them, so I can't justify a new one. I keep telling myself its time for an upgrade, but just can't justify paying big bucks for something that's going to do the same thing.

S.

I have a mid 1980's Johnson 15 2 stroke that I use often.

The advantage is it's light and easy to put on a boat. Packs a good punch for its size too. Using proper oil mixtures it doesn't smoke. Properly looked after these don't require a lot of maintenance. Most common parts still available too.

These old engines hold a lot of value because of those reasons.

Until they are outlawed, 2 stroke all the way.

Plus there,s the hole shot Rog. Kids will love the take off. LOL

Spincast...when I rented out a place we owned before, I always ensured there was LOTS of mixed gas up there for that exact reason. I generally provided all the gas for someone's stay

call me crazy... but sounds like another reason for a 4 stroke? then they buy the gas? But then....I'm a 4 stroke motor person - not that two strokes don't have their positives - 4 stroke - just easier, no smell, no oil slicks, no measuring, or adding oil on the water. I remember when I used to ride motocross the two strokes kicked :asshat: . Couldn't be beat. Then came something called the Elsinore 4 stroke by Honda. and the difference in response changed - at least for smaller bore engines. Its like the aluminium versus 'glass discussion - there are damn good motors in each category - buy the one you like best and at least then if something does go pear shaped........ you own it. I got a 4 stroke Suzuki 20 for a kicker,( only weighs 10 lbs more than the 10 hp, 4 stroke btw) My first boat had a 2 stroke suzi. Both great motors.

After trolling all my life with a 2 stroke, now that I own a 4 stroke, I look at it and say where have you been all my life.

I only fish, so going fast doesn't impress me.

Mined you, if you want hole shots, step up your horsepower with a 4 stroke.

Just sit at a boat ramp and watch guys launching 2 & 4 strokes. That should tell you what to consider.

GBW...that is exactly what I am looking for...minus the trailer! Once its at the lake it will stay at the lake. Gonna have to check distance to havelock but sounds far

I figured a whole package may sway you, hehe. No I'm not the seller and have no clue who they are. Havleock is close to Peterborough (rice lake area for a water test). The trailer can be sold and or modified for a sled

Oh and I have a old (70's) 9.9hp Johnson 2 stroke and a 8hp Honda 4 stroke (89/90). I like the Honda cause I know it will start and sip fuel all day and has an alternator build in to charge a battery for the fish finder BUT for getting home quick if the weather turns the old 9.9. To bad I don't trust it fully anymore...

Edited by GBW

I'm definitely with Fish Farmer on this one, want to go faster, get a bigger motor. As for hole shot, the take off only lasts 2-3 seconds, so that's another mute point for me. It's like the big lifted trucks, humongous tires and lack of muffler, has to do something with small nu.. I mean fasteners.

Motor size should be properly paired to the size/rating of the boat. That will give you good performance at all speeds including hole shot when loaded, cruising speed on plane and yes top speed. Comments like above can be misleading for inexperienced boat buyers.

After trolling all my life with a 2 stroke, now that I own a 4 stroke, I look at it and say where have you been all my life.

I only fish, so going fast doesn't impress me.

Mind you, if you want hole shots, step up your horsepower with a 4 stroke.

Hole shots are for drag racers and tournament fishermen. Quiet, economical and reliable 4 strokes are the way to go. Four blade propeller technology has improved low end performance. (getting up on plane with a heavy load) Proper horsepower to weight ratio is the key. Been running outboards for over fifty years, Like Fish Farmer, I too wish four strokes had come along much sooner in life.

I'm definitely with Fish Farmer on this one, want to go faster, get a bigger motor. As for hole shot, the take off only lasts 2-3 seconds, so that's another mute point for me. It's like the big lifted trucks, humongous tires and lack of muffler, has to do something with small nu.. I mean fasteners.

Hole shot can last a lot more that 2-3 seconds if the motor does not have adequate torque. Good hole shot is more important to me than the highest top end speed. It's not about compensating for anything; I just want my boat to be up on plane when I am driving it.

Hole shots are for drag racers and tournament fishermen. Quiet, economical and reliable 4 strokes are the way to go. Four blade propeller technology has improved low end performance. (getting up on plane with a heavy load) Proper horsepower to weight ratio is the key. Been running outboards for over fifty years, Like Fish Farmer, I too wish four strokes had come along much sooner in life.

Hasn't Honday been making four strokes for most if not all of those fifty years?

Not sure it's wise to let renters use a motor boat.

Lots of liability issues potentially.

Plus hassle if they wreck it.

When I rent out my cottage, guests rent one from the local marina if they don't have their own.

Just sayin.

I agree, there is a lot of down sides to allowing renters to use the boat.