lawnmower recommendations? nf

leaf4

Looking into getting a gas mower, leaning towards a Toro or a John Deere I've come across on kijiji. Just looking for any input on the brands and their reliability/longevity.

Toro is a 20332C

John Deere is a JS40

Thanks!

Edited by Lucas F

Looking into getting a gas mower, leaning towards a Toro or a John Deere I've come across on kijiji. Just looking for any input on the brands and their reliability/longevity.

Toro is a 20332C

John Deere is a JS40

Thanks!

Toro or Honda with aluminum deck. I own the js20 and although it's lasted 10yrs without any issues, I find it heavy(steel deck) and clunky to manoeuvre around the yard. But it is fast and powerful. Never used the bag always just the mulch and does a decent job. Imagine the Honda or Toro is even better there.

I see an add for a new electric 40 volt unit at Home Depot on TV.

Not sure what to think of those, I have a decent size lot (corner) it's 50' wide by 150 deep, not sure that it would last the entire time, or have the torque a gas mower provides... I know at my last house where I had a corded electric mower if I left it a couple days too long I'd have to start off in a higher setting then bring it down on a second pass

I have an older model Toro Super recycler model about 7 or 8 years old never a problem starts first or 2nd pull every time but is not self propelled. I have flat land so need for self propelled models just something else to go wrong imho but love the Toro have heard bad things about JD's.

Kawartha Kev

I have an older model Toro Super recycler model about 7 or 8 years old never a problem starts first or 2nd pull every time but is not self propelled. I have flat land so need for self propelled models just something else to go wrong imho but love the Toro have heard bad things about JD's.

Kawartha Kev

Actually I just came across a super recycler... With self propel, which would be nice as I have a hill leading down to the sidewalk. Thanks

It's just like Tohatsu making a lot of the small outboards that are rebranded by Big Name big price companies, MTD makes CTC, Troybuilt, Yard Machine among others and their own brand. On my 4th mower in 35 years with years left in it, I cut a 75 x 175 foot lot, buy cheap, do basic maintenance , if a repair is beyond your abilities, it is best to trash it and buy again as shop fees are outta sight I'm running one of these now , good mower without sticker shock and watch it comes on sale.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yard-machines-140cc-3-in-1-gas-lawn-mower-21-in-2992929p.html#srp

I got a Husqvarna a few years ago. I love that mower.

Its easier to handle than a self propelled.

They have bearings in the wheels that makes it super easy to push.

I have about the same size yard as you with a bit of a hill.

Its also the only mower I have seen that the bag is tapered the right way.

The big end is at the opening so clippings drop out instead of wedging in there

Ive killed a few movers over the last 8 years landscaping over bad terrain. I started with the bigger is better mentality when buying to later realize smaller, simpler units are easier to handle and fix.

This is what I was going to say. I hate the big self propelled units personally. I'd rather have a cheap, light unit that's easy to fix.

I have a husky riding more that is amazing. Love it. My push mower is an old lawn boy 2 stroker that just won't die.

S.