Ice Out Watch

ccmtcanada

was up in PAB this past weekend and things are finally starting to open up.

The areas where the ice is traditionally questionable are wide open and the areas that are good are starting to get very rotten. I walked out 50 yards to tie a rope off on the dock and the ice is very very rotten. I imagine over the next couple of days its going to start breaking up. A good wind and it will be done for.

We also did a hike to a back lake called Bird lake..it was still locked right up with a good 8 inches of ice. I imagine this rain though would make it totally unsafe for passing. I give it two weeks and everything south of sudbury will be wide open.

Went from Lindsay to Burnt River then to Curve Lake and then back to Lindsay. The bigger lakes were all wide open with no ice to see from the roadway and some even had mild whitecaps. The smaller lakes like the one my folks are on is still ice BUT breaking up.

Had to head to my folks again today to check on the place due to a power outage (check the genny) and 4 mile is starting to open up mid lake. I'd guess other smaller lakes like it will be ice free soon too.

I received a couple reports today on ice conditions in central Ontario . Lakes in the Parry Sound area are 75-90%% ice free and what

remains is very soft and melting fast . Lakes in this area should be 100% ice free over this weekend with the warm temps. and rain .

Lakes in the Algonquin Park area are still mostly ice covered and I'm being told they will probably remain ice covered for at least another week .

As of today all back country permits for Algonquin have been cancelled till April 28th due to the winter/ice conditions in the area thus putting

a hold on plans for anyone going into the park for trout opener .

^^^ No info. from Bancroft Locnar but by just looking at the above sat. images and from what I have heard

from the Algonquin Park area I would say the lakes are still ice covered and are going to be for at least a week

in the Bancroft area . It is amazing how that area still has as much snow and ice still today , take a look at sat.

images of the Algonquin area and you will see . Not sure what lakes you are talking about but Bancroft is not

that far from Algonquin so the closer you are to that area the longer the ice will be on the lakes .

I'm thinking of heading up there for the first weekend in May, I'm looking a small lake south east of Bancroft. I was thinking of doing a scouting trip, but if the ice is still there I'll wait. Thanks for the heads up.