Ice Out Watch

ccmtcanada

It's that time of year, where ice can become unsafe pretty quickly. Modis captures come pretty awesome pictures of the lakes and I thought I'd start posting them here once again. This image was taken yesterday.

a1.17078.1801.LakeOntario.143.250m.jpg

Part of Scugog and Rice seem to be breaking up now....and many of the areas in the Kawarthas. Be safe out there!!!

Edited by ccmt

The ice will be fine for a couple weeks yet, no worries. As long as you can get on it from shore, you will be fine. The ice on simcoe is in the best shape its been in all year right now. I plan to be drilling holes into april no problem. Maybe not simcoe, but it could very well happen.

The kawartha lakes have opened up due to current/ springs during the warm spell, and very high winds when we had the cold snap so they didn't tighten back up.

S.

The ice will be fine for a couple weeks yet, no worries. As long as you can get on it from shore, you will be fine. The ice on simcoe is in the best shape its been in all year right now. I plan to be drilling holes into april no problem. Maybe not simcoe, but it could very well happen.

The kawartha lakes have opened up due to current/ springs during the warm spell, and very high winds when we had the cold snap so they didn't tighten back up.

S.

Shane

We found anywhere from 8"-10"-even 12" on the west side here on the weekend. You are right about the shore. I had to spud some chunks down to size so I could get on,but the ice IS the best it,s been all year. Need me another couple perch feasts,then ok. Enough with the ice then.LOL

Im not fishing those well known perch areas Jer, so dont go by my post here. Be safe bud.

Thanks. This time of the year, spud and float coat are maditory regardless of what everyone says.

But if you or the other locals say the ice isn't safe, I'm not even going to make the drive.

Here is a link to a webcam I post every year from my lake Lower Buckhorn in the Kawartha's from reach Harbour located about half way down the lake. Unfortunately the other webcam I usually post from Sunrise Resort at the base of the locks in Buckhorn seems to be no longer active it hasn't been working since about last fall not sure what happened to it. Here's the link for Reach Harbour lots of open water out in the main channel http://www.reachharbour.com/just click on webcam at the top. They will probably have a second camera up soon from the back part of the property.

Kawartha Kev

Hoping to be able to be out in the boat before May this year, hasn't been possible the last 2 yrs. Definitely far less snow in the bush this yr compared to last 2, but more ice due to the lakes having zero snow on the ice for a big portion of the winter. More thaws = more ice unfortunately.

South portion of Sturgeon was open water a week ago. I dont think it ever gets to thick from the trent severn waterway though.

With all the water coming down Fenelon from Cameron that whole 'flow' area should be open soon if not already.